The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7g Engine Differences?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

7g Engine Differences?

Hey guys. The ole 7g is at about 260K now and is a little long in the tooth. I am looking to throw another stock motor in it and drive it another 6 years lol. My question is, I have heard the newer model cars (96 and up) are a little different when it comes to the motor? Is this true? I know they are OBD2 but what does that really mean for me if I buy one I found out of a 96? Any big differences?
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

they have an extra sensor - the crank position sensor that the 94-95 OBD1 dont have. For 94-95 the sensor is located in the distributor and 96-97 its a separate sensor positioned close to the crank sproket. If you find 96-97 motor, all you need to do is to use your 94-95 distributor and youll be fine.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

so does that mean I will have to re-wire the harness on the 96 motor or just use my 95 one? My harness is a little worn is why I ask and Id like to just use the one that comes with it.
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

if you wanna do obd2 swap, but that means you need obd2 ecu as well. or you just put your old distributor in the new motor and voila!

Build Thread

yea but if i just put the distributor the right wires wont be there right?
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

dude, just use your old harness and distrubutor and drop the engine in.

Build Thread

the thing is that 94-96 distributors are diffrent than 97-98

94-95 = obd1
    96= some obd1 but most obd 1.5
    97-98 = obd 2

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

u dont understand what i am saying...i would like to AVOID using the 95 engine harness because it has a lot of mileage on it and is a bit brittle...the 96 is in better shape..the question is if i DO use the 96 harness, will i have to lengthen the wires from the factory crank mounted sensor up to the distributor plug to the associated pins? get it now?
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g64terror View Post
    u dont understand what i am saying...i would like to AVOID using the 95 engine harness because it has a lot of mileage on it and is a bit brittle...the 96 is in better shape..the question is if i DO use the 96 harness, will i have to lengthen the wires from the factory crank mounted sensor up to the distributor plug to the associated pins? get it now?
    Well Ask the correct qestion, so I can give you the correct answer!!!

Youre saying you want to use 96-97 Obd2 engine and harness off of the same year car. This is called an Obd2 conversion! The OBD2 distributor has its own plug and the crank sensor has its own plug which is located on the right side of the intake manifold. But there are a few more thing that have to be switched so the whole thing works! Youll need 96-97 intake manifold, because they have the manifold pressure sensor which is absent in 94-95 OBD1.5 Galants. Youll also need the 96-97 distributor which is different from the 94-95 one, because it has the crank position sensor in it, and the 96-97 doesnt have it which explains the size wise difference. Youll need the OBD2 ECU too.

There is an option where you can avoid the intake manifold swap, if you can find the emissions free harness and ECU. It uses the same 94-95 manifold, it doesnt have the EGR valve, intake manifold pressure sensor, throttle body vacuum lines, evap canister and no controling solenoid and it is OBD2. Im trying to find one of these, but they are rare. Ive read that there is JDM version of these called Extreme/240hp/, but never seen one

Im doin this swap as well, and all I need is a distributor.
    Last edited by mko; 08-13-2008 at 01:08 AM

Build Thread

you have no reason nto not use your existing harness.

my harness will be 16 years old in december.
    or at least will have been on my car for 16 years.

i have zero electrical problems. If your harness is dirty and nasty, then pressure wash your engine bay.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4g64terror View Post
    Hey guys. The ole 7g is at about 260K now and is a little long in the tooth. I am looking to throw another stock motor in it and drive it another 6 years lol. My question is, I have heard the newer model cars (96 and up) are a little different when it comes to the motor? Is this true? I know they are OBD2 but what does that really mean for me if I buy one I found out of a 96? Any big differences?
    so the other day I noticed my oil level was below the minimum mark, so I drove 2 miles to Wal Mart for a quart of oil. This is the second time I checked my oil and it was below minimum. It has 111,000 miles on it. I'm starting to wonder how much longer the engine will last, or if it is invincible and cannot die...
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

Yellowed, cloudy headlights.

spraypaint on the door panels.

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    they have an extra sensor - the crank position sensor that the 94-95 OBD1 dont have. For 94-95 the sensor is located in the distributor and 96-97 its a separate sensor positioned close to the crank sproket. If you find 96-97 motor, all you need to do is to use your 94-95 distributor and youll be fine.
    yeah that particular sensor on my engine has about 1/3 of it carved clean through by a wobbly harmonic balancer which eventually completely tore and fell off. This is the source of the oil seepage from my engine that I have never bothered to seal up.
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

Yellowed, cloudy headlights.

spraypaint on the door panels.

well after a 100k u will start using oil...99% of the time they start needing valve seaks...next time u do a timing belt, throw some seals in
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

just swapped it in....have a check engine light but I did throw a gutted cat on it with the 02 sensor fix...ill run by auto zone and code scan it tommorow...so for anyone that wants to do this (96 and up motor in a 95), the differences are:
    Distributor
    Alternator
    A/C bracket
    EGR (must use 95 EGR)
    spacer behind crank timing gear (96 has pickups for crank sensor and these hit the 95 style balance shaft tensioner pulley)
    You dont use the sensor on top of the intake.

um, Thats all I can think of off the top of my head..
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.