The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The Perfect Suspension Setup? Lowered but Not Harsh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27

The Perfect Suspension Setup? Lowered but Not Harsh!

ok ... so I've done the research, and I've read most of the posts/reviews on suspension setups.

I like the ride of my 2002 Galant (bone stock) around town .. on the highway it seems a bit soft and unpredictable. And I don't like all the wheel-gap (especially in the front ... rear is ok since I have sub and tools in the back :D). I'm riding on stock 15" steelies right now.

I'd like a SLIGHTLY stiffer ride ... not TOO much. and I'd like it lowered as well. Maybe around 1.5" to 2" in the front. I do plan to buy 17" or 18" wheels as well.

Although I loved the handeling of AGX/Eibach combo that I had on my 1G AWD Talon. But the ride was too harsh on rough roads. I don't want that in my Galant... not even close. I have an ES I4 and come on its not fast ... and I'm not going to drive it very agressively either. I want it as a daily-driver/tourer with a closer-to-stock ride.

So basically I want a smooth, comfortable ride (only slightly stiffer than stock) but I want the car lowered as well. Which spring/strut combo would be best for that? Thanks in advance!

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    KYB GR-2 with Tein S-tech.

EIBACH PRO KIT for 00-05 eclipse: -1.6"F, -1.4"R part# 6035.140

or

EIBACH PRO KIT for 99-03 galant: -1.2"F, -1.0"R part# 6028.140

the EIBACH PRO KIT is the closest to stock spring rate of all the aftermarket springs and lowers the car mildly at around 1.5". the ride difference from stock will not be as dramatic as w/ other springs and you may not have to buy new dampers for a longer time (as opposed to using springs that drop lower or springs w/ a higher spring rate) because of the almost stock spring rate and ride height of the PRO KIT.

Thanks Ray!

As I read in most of the posts, GR-2s blow out in a year or two with lowering springs. Would it be wiser to invest in AGXs? I know AGX setup is going to be stiffer than the GR2 irrespective of the springs.

Anyways, I just did some more research Tein S-tech lowers 2" in the front and 1.7" rear. Spring Rate is 241lbs/in and 179lbs/in.

Megan springs are stiffer with 280F and 250R. Does anyone know the spring rate for the stock suspension and Eibach?

Tein s tech do not lower 2 in front. It's 1.7 front and 1.3 rear but it wont even go that far. Reason I said KYB GR2 is because you said you wanted a stock like and not a harsh ride. Well yes KYB agx are better but they also cost 200 more. KYB GR2 will be ok with Tein s tech, but even AGX will wear out prematurely because they are designed for a stock height not lowered.

Quote Originally Posted by 2_blue View Post
    ... Does anyone know the spring rate for the stock suspension and Eibach?
    PRO KIT is progressive...

Reelax, thank you for your reply. As already mentioned in my initial post, I have had experience with Eibach Pro-Kit/KYB-AGX combo on my 1G Talon AWD and it was a LOT of fun whenever I drove it agressively. I loved it! Corners and high speed driving was awesome! Around town it seemed a bit harsh (over railroad crossings/bumps/potholes) and I would not want that on my Galant since I won't be doing a lot of spirited driving on it. Its a daily driver and I'd want somthing a little firmer (than stock) yet comfortable. 1) Is it possible that Eibach made the Galant application softer than the ones for Talon?

2) Has anyone had any experience with both Eiback ProKit and Tein S-tech? How do they companre to each other?

Also, I'd like the front to be lowered atleast 1.5" so if I chose to go with the ProKit, 3) what other differences would there be between the 3G Eclipse springs and the specific 99-03 Galant application? How would the ride quality be different?

This was my other Galant with KYB AGX and Tein S-tech. The ride was great, not harsh at all, and it looked like this.

I had the Pro-Kit on my car and it was perfect for what your looking for. I had mine on stock shocks and struts and it rode better than factory. I have since changed to Tein SS-P because I wanted more drop and I am telling you I am VERY happy with the ride of these, they ride very well to me.

I also have the same setup as Ray.. AGX and Tein S-Tech.. So far I love the ride.. I'll post pics as soon as I have a new camera..
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

I have AGX and Eibach Pro Kit (6028.140) with stock GTZ 16" wheels. AGX are set on level 2 stiffness all around and the ride is great even on bad Chicago area roads.

Thank you all for replying. They were all very helpful.

Another question though. Would I need a camber kit with the Tein S-tech or the ProKit? Also, is it advisable to put KYB-AGX up front and GR-2 in the back with either of the springs?

Reelax, thank you for your reply. As already mentioned in my initial post, I have had experience with Eibach Pro-Kit/KYB-AGX combo on my 1G Talon AWD and it was a LOT of fun whenever I drove it agressively. I loved it! Corners and high speed driving was awesome! Around town it seemed a bit harsh (over railroad crossings/bumps/potholes) and I would not want that on my Galant since I won't be doing a lot of spirited driving on it. Its a daily driver and I'd want somthing a little firmer (than stock) yet comfortable. 1) Is it possible that Eibach made the Galant application softer than the ones for Talon?

2) Has anyone had any experience with both Eiback ProKit and Tein S-tech? How do they companre to each other?

Also, I'd like the front to be lowered atleast 1.5" so if I chose to go with the ProKit, 3) what other differences would there be between the 3G Eclipse springs and the specific 99-03 Galant application? How would the ride quality be different?
    are u sure it was the PRO KIT that you had on your 1G? your experience makes me believe you actually had the SPORTLINE KIT which is actually much more aggressinve than the PRO KIT (and lowers around 2").

Yup! I'm pretty sure I had the ProKit. I installed it myself.
    Last edited by 2_blue; 08-13-2008 at 11:45 PM

Thank you all for replying. They were all very helpful.

Another question though. Would I need a camber kit with the Tein S-tech or the ProKit? Also, is it advisable to put KYB-AGX up front and GR-2 in the back with either of the springs?
    anyone?

wow okay im not sure why ray would advise you to get gr-2 and stechs, dont do it.

First off:
    KYB GR-2's are STIFFER than stock struts.
    KYB AGX can be adjusted to be the same stiffness as stock.
    Also im not sure why ray would say they arent designed for a drop i thought i recalled reading on the instructions that came with them that they would work with mild drops.

Second:
    Listen to reelax about springs, s.techs are probably going to be to harsh for what your looking for.
    Go with the EIBACH PRO KIT.

As far as camber goes, you will not need to adjust the front, the back you MIGHT need to get a camber kit for, i am not sure with eibachs though.
    Last edited by dknight3; 08-15-2008 at 06:57 AM

I didn't need camber kit with Eibach and AGX, at least when I was doing alignment at Just Tires they didn't tell me anything about that.

Quote Originally Posted by SotY View Post
    I didn't need camber kit with Eibach and AGX, at least when I was doing alignment at Just Tires they didn't tell me anything about that.
    cool, how was the ride quality?

Does the galant have the h-techs out yet? If so those are really good (for my legacy they were). Not a crazy drop like the s-techs and are more comfortable then the s-techs. Plus they wont blow your shocks after a yr.

I barely got a drop on my S-Techs & AGXs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast