The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fueling a Turbo Galant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 30

Fueling a Turbo Galant

So what are you guys agreeing is the way to go? I was still considering using an FMU with an AFC to keep it low buck. What are some setups you turbo guys are using on the street? This would be a low boost, pump gas application just to give the car a little more balls...ive got a complete 2g turbo system sitting around (no ecu, injectors, etc. just the hard parts)
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

this has been stated many times..search it will show up and seeing no one has commented you back just a fair share warning they will bite for threads like this..i would ask to get this closed and just search before asking..and a little help would be 7-10 lbs of boost is fine theres a whole thread of parts to use. just search my friend

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    maft gen 2.. wideband with programable oputput for maft gen 2.. finished

dude ive been on this site longer than 80 percent of the people here...i did one of the first 5 speed swaps in the country...dont get on here and just tell me to search like im some noob...i HAVE searched and have found 50 million answers...i wanted a thread that has to do with MY setup to keep is localized....anyway, Zigen...r u running this setup?
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    on a 7g... if u want some info about running it on an 8g i thik run2106 (or something like that) from nj has it in an 8g.. i THINK

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    FMUs dont work so well on DSMs ECUs, no clue about our stock 7g ECUs, but we want a 1:1 rate regulator. Most FMUs are 12:1 or something high like that. So if base FP is 43psi, and you are running 8psi of boost and a 12:1 FMU, at 8psi your FP is near 140psi. Whereas if you were running a 1:1 like stock, your fp would be around 51psi.

If you arent wanting to spend very much, you could go with 1) megasquirt: not that expensive, decent amount of wiring, not so user friendly. 2) safc I/II: would work ok with smaller injectors(550cc or less). 3) Greddy eManage: Has a bit more control then the SAFC, has an additional option to control spark

I myself wouldnt run an FMU on our cars. A lot of the 2g 420a guys run FMUs, not sure what is different between those motors and ours.
    7g for life!

seth you are aware or have heard of a BEGI fmu right? you are thinking of a Vortech or Paxton FMU...the BEGI FMU's have a tiny set screw that adjusts the amount of rate that the fuel pressure rises...see what you guys dont realize is I ride a 350HP Turbo GSXR 1000 that I have built myself with a Velocity Racing kit. The Stage 1 comes with a BEGI (Bell Engineering) and since you have the adjustment, the FP spike isnt so bad...at 7lbs mine rises to about 80 (from a base of 40) or so if I adjust it out that way and then we further alter injector pulses with a Dynojet powercommander. (all this unit does is simply intercept the signal going to the injectors and increases whatever the ecu is telling the bike it needs to whatever value you put in on the grid at that throttle position and RPM.) Its really quite simple....SO with that said I am thinking of running a BEGI FMU with SOME sort of fuel controller that works similarly to the Powercommander (you guys tell me what that is, the MAFT or something else?) Yes i DO realize the stock injectors have a very low threshhold for HP before you even ask. I wouldnt mind having about 180 or 200HP TOPS...It's just a slug running around stock (but the 5speed helps)...With that said, thoughts?
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

oh and Zigen, mine IS a 7G..its a 95. This would be 2nd gen manifold,14b turbo, 2nd gen 02 housing, stock 2nd gen piping, side mount intercooler, downpipe, etc..
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Should be able to run 200whp on 450cc injectors. Vortech makes a Super VMU which sounds like it is similar to your Begi FMU. Idk, Im just not a huge fan of FMUs. SAFC would do what the Power Commander does though, just on a simpilar scale. Has low, mid, and high adjustments for the rpm range.
    7g for life!

yeah the powercommander works in 5 percent throttle increments every 250to500 RPMS.....its VERY user friendly and uses windows based software..they are about 300 bucks...is there something compabrable on the market for a DSM for the same money? I believe that FMU's have gotten a bad rap because of engine failures but 99% of the time it is user error or someone trying to push it too far...Same story in the motorcycle world....Only probalem I see is the ecu trying to override commands...hmmm i need to look into this...

this looks interesting: http://www.rippmods.com/RIPP_BRAT_Bo.../mits-brat.htm
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

since our car's are MAS metered....
    there is a very high cap for where the airflow meter is overrun.
    With speed density cars or bikes. once you run more than 1bar absolute, your MAP sensor is maxed out and of course your ecu will not be aware that there is ANY more air than 14.whatever psi absolute.
    therefore fuel will not be delivered to accomplish the proper mixture.
    since no more fuel is added, FMU's add the extra fuel based on boost pressure.
    and the ecu has no idea whatsoever this is happening.

With a mas fuel system the ecu is going to see how much airflow there is... up to 400hp or more worth of airflow.
    Fuel injector duty cycle is determined by airflow.
    The entire stock fuel map is dependant on a 1:1 fuel to boost ratio.
    so your stock regulator is more than adequate for 350hp.
    essentially all you'll need to do is use your safc(i'd highly highly reccomend a MAFT2 over a crappy safc safc2 or safc neo.
    if you are running so much boost that your stock fuel injectors can't keep up without an absurd amount of fuel pressure.
    then get some stock dsm 450 injectors for 40bux and then just tune your fuel controller to accomidate them.

an FMU has no place on a mass airflow fuelsystem. Period.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

yea but theres no way the stock ecu will increase the fuel tables enough to compensate for boost..it just seems like it couldnt be written into the programming..surely it takes more than an MAF-T.....oh and you put a check valve inline on the MAP sensor on speed density because if they see boost they freak out...dont know what you're talking about there
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

ok scratch it....im thinking just get a 63t and be done with it...
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

pfft. scumbag
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

Yellowed, cloudy headlights.

spraypaint on the door panels.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g64terror View Post
    yea but theres no way the stock ecu will increase the fuel tables enough to compensate for boost..it just seems like it couldnt be written into the programming..surely it takes more than an MAF-T.....oh and you put a check valve inline on the MAP sensor on speed density because if they see boost they freak out...dont know what you're talking about there
    yes... you put a check valve on there so that they cannot see anything more than one bar absolute(atmospheric pressure)
    simply because they cannot read more than one bar. if honda's came with a 3 bar sensor.... they would be able to read atmospheric pressure, as well as boost pressure up nearly 30 psi. thats why real honda guys run hondata and rescale the parameters of the stock ecu to accept a gm 3 bar sensor. so they can actually tune the car in full resolution up to the max of the MAP sensor.... instead of lying to it and playing guessing games with the tune because they are cheap bastards that don't do things they way the fuel system was meant to.

i don't have a check valve on my speed density ecu thats in my 7g.

all you need is some 450cc injectors from an eclipse, and a maft gen 2. and a 190lph fuel pump of course and you will have all the fuel you need to get that daily driven, near perfect tune you are looking for.

the stock regulator is more than enough for your goals. the real problem is the fuel injectors. way too small.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i guess i need to read up on the MAFT2 then...i just thought that our cars go crazy when you start trying to throw boost on em because it tries to compensate...i guess if you fool it with the MAFT2 then it doesnt KNOW its getting that kind of air...with the MAFT2 compensate for the bigger injectors or do you think i would see idle issues?
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    im gonna bring this thread back for a bit cuz i am confused about wut is best

i am planning on going turbo soon and i know 2 upgrade the injectors and im changing the ecu and all that good stuff.. my one question is.. how weak is our fuel pump?
    and wut is the best way to correct this issue.... can i use a 2g turbo fuel pump because they are made for that damand and im not running any crazy boost or insanely large turbo..yet.
    or should i go out and get an 190 lph fuel pump and call it a day

if possible pros and cons of either way
    any help is much appreciated
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

laxin warrior was running 10-12 lbs on his stock fuel pump. but for how cheap a 190 is you can't lose. and the eclipse pump works fine.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    alright thank you.. i guess ill run the stock pump til it goes then upgrade cuz im not running more than 8-10 lbs

also this is off topic from this thread but do i have 2 change anything ignition wise from doin this?
    also i think i read the 2g turbo oil pan fits so i dont have 2 tap mine f i can get 1 of those right?
    Last edited by Galanttuner10; 12-02-2008 at 10:43 AM
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

If you use the 450's from a 2g, make sure you wire in the resistor pack too.

I have also read that the 2g oil pan fits, but when I was tapping my oil filter housing I went ahead and tapped the oil pan as well. It was just as easy and cheaper.
    -Well that never happened in the simulations.
    -'94 Galant GS Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast