The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g63T swap into a 7g?

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

4g63T swap into a 7g?

Haven't been able to find a straight tutorial yet (please post links if you have em) but instead of turboing the ole 4g64 I would consider doing the 4g63t swap in stead. So with that said my car is already 5 speed swapped. I know the stock Galant tranny has a wider gear spacing on it. Do you guys think it would hold up to about 200-250HP? Secondly, are most of you guys using 6 bolts to do the swap? I know the 7 bolts crank walk blah blah blah but it just seems like finding a 7 bolt swap would be a snap because the electronics are very similar (but i dont know much about the 6 bolt harness). I know my '64 is a 7bolt and has over 260K miles on it and hasnt crankwalked. I seriously believe that pushing the clutch in to start it (when its cold) is a major contributor to crank walk (especially with a heavier spec clutch) so I have run a bypass for years now and it seems to have worked great. I would just try this on the 7bolt and if it DOES end up walking do something about it later. I am just tired of the '64 being so doggy around town. I plan on keeping it pretty close to stock for reliability purposes. So what do you guys think? 6 bolts swaps are getting harder to find (with everything needed) and 7bolts can be had all day long for under 1500 bucks with harness, all accesories, etc. Please post some links on doing the swap too so i can see how bad it really is.
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

ohhhh and whats the deal with the "cyclone" motors you see all over ebay? Seems like my buddy got one for his first gen one time and the intake or something wouldnt clear...should I avoid these? there are TONS of JDM motors floating around that are Cyclone
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...light=4g63t+7g

of course ive found this so far...its looking like the wiring is the biggest thing....so guys that have done it, heres what I want to use:
    6bolt 1st gen motor
    my 95 Galant harness
    2g eclipse ECU

So what do I need for this specific combo? I assume I will need to do the 1G CAS swap..
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Tutorial in Tutorial section. Crankwalk is an issue with 7 bolt 4g63ts not 4g64's, but any engine can crankwalk. It is caused by extra lateral play from a poorly made crank or just worn bearings that allow play to exist. There are plenty of 7 bolt 63t's that haven't crankwalked. Laxin is holding about 220 whp on a 7g tranny just fine form what I remember.

Cyclone intake has 2 runners for each port. There is a longer runner that is always open, this allows it to run well at lower rpms. After a certain point the butterflies open the other 4 runners which makes it almost flow as much as a normal 1g intake manifold. I think they flowtested these to only 3cfm less than a 1g intake mani overall. The problem is most people don't have to proper setup to get the buttflies to function properly.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

ahhh i c...so stay away from cyclones....i looked in the tutorial section and didnt see it...ill try again...
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

if you just want a boost of power, with stock reliability. you ought to consider the dohc headswap. Bring your car from 9.5:compression to 10.5:1
    add another 500rpm to your powerband,
    adding 20 peak hp and more torque and HP throughout the entire powerband.

All while maintaining OEM reliability using OEM design and components, distributorless ignition, etc etc.
    don't forget that the head is just as moddable as the eclipse head... so cams, valves, springs, gears, etc.

as far as 63t's, remember you are giving up the torque of the 2.4 when you swap to it.
    i really miss having a bottom end pull.

My 4g63t is JDM. I ran the cyclone manifold without problems for a long long time. then switched to a regular 1g intake manifold to make tuning simpler with my speed density engine management.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

nice way to sell your headswap but nothing compares to forced induction :)...i would LOVE to do your headswap and then take the turbo kit I have laying here now and slap it on but im right back to figuring out how to fuel it....not to mention my bottom end is pushing 260K...NOW I HAVE found an engine in a junkyard for 250 with lower mileage that would probably work pretty well with that setup :)
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    The only thing different in the JDM 6-bolt motors(all jdm are 6bolt except a few rare 7-bolt Evo3 motors) is they have the Cyclone intake manfiold. My old motor was a JDM "cyclone" motor. I opted to sell the cyclone intake manifold for $100 and the jdm gvr4 ECU it came with for $200. Intern I just bolted on a stock 1g intake manifold and called it a day.

But IMO, these JDM motors are 18+ years old. They may have low miles, but by now, who knows what all seals have dry rot and what not. Personally I would either buy a motor with a bad timing belt or something of the sorts and do a complete rebuild.
    7g for life!

hmmm i wonder what a rebuild would cost me on my '64...I would need the head totally re-worked and probably all new bearings and rings im sure....i wonder how bad the cylinders might be...its been stock its whole life lol
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You could do it for $1000-1500 easy, with forged pistons and aftermarket rods.
    7g for life!

no no no...no forged anything...im talking about a dead stock, drive it for another 260K rebuild...
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

you can get an already rebuilt motor for cheap from Kar-King.com

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

see my plan is to pick up an 8G GTZ...i want one of those cars badly...i would probably eventually do a RIPP supercharger on it when funds allow...i just dont want to sell my car with it smoking when its cold.....i pulled the throttle body to change the IAC and the inside of the intake is CAKED in carbon and oil....its just worn slap out....i COULD just throw a timeing belt and valve seals in it and let it roll but im trying to decide whats best to do...ultimately I want the 8g for a number of reasons but if I turbo swapped the 7g id keep it much longer
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

oh and kar king doesnt have any 4g64's that i see
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

just email them, they advertise on tuners all the time. They can get a 64 as easy as a 63.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo