The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Several Problems. Help!

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Several Problems. Help!

Hello there. I am kind of new at TGC. I'm facing a few problems with my wife's 2002 Galant ES. Is very little what I know from this generation galant so I need your help. First, lately we have noticed a soft transmission noise when going in the highway aroung 70-75 mph. As soon I stop steping on the gas it goes away, or if I accelerate more it also goes away. Its only when I go on one speed continuely. It sounds like I had truck tires on my car but not as noisy, I know it is not the tires because they are new, and I noticed the noise is coming from down the shift lever. My brother told me its very common on these Galants, but I dont think it is normal. does anyone have an idea what could be wrong??

Second, In the mornings when the car is cold, the idle is very rough. The first couple of blocks when ever I stop ,the car vibrates. I feel it on the steering wheel, but the weird part is that the RPM's are not low like the car was going to stall (always around 800-850 RPM). Lately, also adding to the mix, I notice besides the vibration, there is also a rattle noise coming from the driver's side front wheel. BUT everything goes away when the car reaches normal temperature. again anyone??

And third but not least. My dashboard just got 3 cracks in the last 2 weeks. I take very special care in my cars, and every time I look at the dashboard I get very disappointed and angry. Any ideas on how to fix it without spending $800 for a new one at the dealer?

2003 MITSUBISHI GALANT GTZ

The dash problem is something all the 8g's have. Mine is cracked to. Lots of them are. Nothing you can really do unless you buy one of those carpet looking dash covers which I think are gross. There was a post about a fiberglass dash overlay but I never saw anything actually happen from the post. There is a couple posts with similar symptoms you're experiencing with the rough morning idle and what not. I don't really have a clue as to what may be making that noise with the trans. good luck.

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    how many miles are on it...

your second issue sounds alot like motor mounts....check to see whether there cracked or torn especially the transmission mount which is under the battery tray..

as for the dash without going to the dealer your options are going to salvage and finding one or purchasing a coverlay as I did..I'd go with the coverlay just to avoid anymore future problems with it cracking..coverlay is an plastic overlay molded to the dash looks 10x better then those old dash mats

it has k95.000 on it. Where did you get the overlay? and how much? thanks!

yea if the mounts have never been checked this probably would be a good time...for the overlay I think I dropped like $130 look up coverlay manuf on google

any pics of your coverlay?

I have the second problem also. It is the motor mounts, but mostly the way the engine runs when it is cold.

The first problem sounds like you are mislead. Try using premium gas if you can spend the extra money. It is not that much if you think about it and you will get better gas mileage. When I use the regular unleaded gas, the car makes a groaning noise when I step on the accelerator. The sound is less noticeable with premium gas.

The third problem, I have yet to experience. A fiberglass overlay sounds like the best idea to me. If you are up to spending the money for that, go for it.

EDIT: Wow I am off it today. I just posted that all out of order.

I wouldn't use premium in an engine that requires regular unless your turboed... in reality your wasting your money everytime you fill up

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02redgalant View Post
    I wouldn't use premium in an engine that requires regular unless your turboed... in reality your wasting your money everytime you fill up
    Agreed, that's a dumb advice.

I had always put 93 octane on my car, but then I started to use 89 octane about 2 weeks ago, right after I read the owners manual, which recommended 87 or 89. but I dont think that has nothing to do with the problems I am facing. The transmission noise when I am on the highway sounds just like a very soft turbine noise. I really think its the tranny. my brother told me he read some where that problem was very common on these cars. But still I have no clue!! I will check engine and transmission mounts this weekend. That could be my 2nd problem. Thanks guys! And my 3rd problem....THAT SUCKS!! If everybody has a crack on their dashboard, that means it was made with shitty materials. Mitsubishi motors should have made that a recall...and every body happy, right?! just like they did with the defective rims they put on all 1998-2001 eclipse GSX GT and SPYDER. They recall all, and if you had already replaced them they refunded the money. All that because a bunch of eclipse owners made a lawsuit.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    your second issue mine does too. ive talked to another member who said it was normal. mine does it on any cold start after atleast 6 hours of sitting.

Well I can tell a difference between the 87 and 93. It is drastic for me. The engine is quieter and the response is better for me.

Each to his own.

probally jst need to clean your maf, and change your plugs

if its ur motor mounts.. u can just take a look at it and tell.. not really that hard..

the dash is a problem many ppl have and its better to replace it if its really bad.. but if u can tolerate it then cover it

and this may be a long shot.. but for ur first problem the tranny one.. check your tires.. if theres uneven wear and tear on it.. it might be the problem.. if it only comes between those mphs.. then it could be the tires/supsension.. just a long shot
    04 Maxima SL in Bronze with Black leather