The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g64/63T Project Update (w/pics)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 35 of 35
    You, my friend, are my hero.

I'll be attempting this swap probably in the 2009 realistically speaking. Right now still on V6 twin turbo power. fingers crossed that it doesn't die on me before that.

I've been working on the wiring harness for the past couple weeks. I am using bits and pieces from both the 1g harness and 7g harness to work with the 1g ecu. This is a pain in the ass, but I am pretty much done.

A few questions:

The 1g uses a coolant temp switch to turn on the condenser fan and a temp switch on the radiator fan to turn on the radiator fan but the 7g uses a trigger from the ecu. From what I gathered, both fans turn on if there is a trigger to either fan. If I connect the high and low cooling fan wires (these wires run from the 7g ecu to the cooling fan relays) to the green/yellow wire for the coolant temp switch, will the fans work?

The 7g has an electrical load switch terminal on the ecu, the 1g does not. I am assuming that disconecting this line will not be a problem since all it does is bump up the idle when the lights (or heavy electrical load) turns on. Am I assuming correctly?

I am confused as to where to wire in pin 1 (yellow) and 2 (white) from the 1g ecu, these are diagnostic wires from the 1g ecu. I have two diagnostic wires from a 7g connector that used to go to pin 42 (yellow) and 43 (gray) on the 7g ecu. Any suggestions?

Thanks much,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by StreetDreams View Post

I am confused as to where to wire in pin 1 (yellow) and 2 (white) from the 1g ecu, these are diagnostic wires from the 1g ecu. I have two diagnostic wires from a 7g connector that used to go to pin 42 (yellow) and 43 (gray) on the 7g ecu. Any suggestions?
    The 7g pin 42 goes to 1G pin 1 while 7g pin 43 goes to 1G pin 2.

94-95 Data Link Connector Pinout

Pin 1: Diagnostic/ECU output (ECU pin 42)
    Pin 2: Unknown/Usused
    Pin 3: Unknown/Usused
    Pin 4: Ground
    Pin 5: Ground
    Pin 6: TCU
    Pin 7: Diagnostic Control Signal (ECU pin 43)
    Pin 8: ABS
    Pin 9: [Alarm]
    Pin 10: Unknown/Usused
    Pin 11: Unknown/Usused
    Pin 12: SRS/Airbag
    Pin 13: Cruise
    Pin 14: Vehicle Speed
    Pin 15: Unknown/Usused
    Pin 16: Power
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Great! Thanks for the help and for the pinout.

Any thoughts on the cooling fan system?

Thanks again,

Mike

cooling fan was easy. I just cut the ground wire on the radiator high relay(not the side that actually goes to the fan, but the side that triggers the relay.... make sense?),
    then i ran that wire from the relay to one of the coolant temperature switches on the 1g thermostat housing.

there are three sensors on mine. one for the ecu, one sender for the gauge cluster, and the third one is a temp switch.

basically how it works, is the system is open until that sensor gets to temperature, then the switch grounds, so the relay is activated.... and the fans come on.
    simmple. one wire, brilliant.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

This site is awesome; you guys are great.

Thanks Stunr for the info, very helpful.

Let me just re-state your info in the way I interprit:
    Cut the ground wire on the coil side of RAD HIGH relay and connect that to the coolant temp switch. Do I connect both the high and low wires together to the coolant temp switch. Which sensor would be the best one to connect to; I was thinking the green/yellow wire from the coolant temp switch? I haven't looked, but I am assuming that the wire from the 7g ecu that triggers the coil on the RAD HIGH relay is the ground wire that you are referring to??? What about the LOW relay? What about the condenser relay?

Also, Mysticj, do happen to have the diagnostic test connector pinout for a 1g? Just curious.

Thanks again; you guys' help is very much appreciated. If it wasn't for people like you, this swap would never happen.

Mike

This site is awesome; you guys are great.

Also, Mysticj, do happen to have the diagnostic test connector pinout for a 1g? Just curious.

Thanks again; you guys' help is very much appreciated. If it wasn't for people like you, this swap would never happen.

Mike
    1G DLC
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

got any fished pics??? its lookin good

Quote Originally Posted by mysticj View Post
    The 7g pin 42 goes to 1G pin 1 while 7g pin 43 goes to 1G pin 2.

94-95 Data Link Connector Pinout

Pin 1: Diagnostic/ECU output (ECU pin 42)
    Pin 2: Unknown/Usused
    Pin 3: Unknown/Usused
    Pin 4: Ground
    Pin 5: Ground
    Pin 6: TCU
    Pin 7: Diagnostic Control Signal (ECU pin 43)
    Pin 8: ABS
    Pin 9: [Alarm]
    Pin 10: Unknown/Usused
    Pin 11: Unknown/Usused
    Pin 12: SRS/Airbag
    Pin 13: Cruise
    Pin 14: Vehicle Speed
    Pin 15: Unknown/Usused
    Pin 16: Power

I reviewed the 7g and 1g wiring schematics and the Data Link Connector pinouts that you posted and I believe that you have the 7g pins 42 and 43 reversed. Using the information you provided and the wiring diagrams I believe that pin 42 should go to pin 7 on the DLC and that pin 43 should go to pin 1 on the DLC. Can you please verify that I am reading these diagrams correctly? Thanks for the 1g DLC pinouts by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by gilgastelum21 View Post
    got any fished pics??? its lookin good
    The car looks just as it did in the last pictures I posted. I've been working on the wiring harness so there has not been any other progress, but I will be updating this thread as progress is made.

I'll get a picture of that fan relay mod tomorrow. Been busy.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I reviewed the 7g and 1g wiring schematics and the Data Link Connector pinouts that you posted and I believe that you have the 7g pins 42 and 43 reversed. Using the information you provided and the wiring diagrams I believe that pin 42 should go to pin 7 on the DLC and that pin 43 should go to pin 1 on the DLC. Can you please verify that I am reading these diagrams correctly? Thanks for the 1g DLC pinouts by the way.
    I don't have the early 7G DLC diagram but I do have a German ECU pinout that shows that Pin 42 is the ECU output and Pin 43 is Diagnostic Signal. German 95-96 Eclipse ECU

The ECU output goes to Pin 1 on the DLC and the diagonostic signal control goes to Pin 2 on the 1G DLC.

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by mysticj View Post
    I don't have the early 7G DLC diagram but I do have a German ECU pinout that shows that Pin 42 is the ECU output and Pin 43 is Diagnostic Signal. German 95-96 Eclipse ECU

The ECU output goes to Pin 1 on the DLC and the diagonostic signal control goes to Pin 2 on the 1G DLC.

On the 7g wiring diagram, it shows pin 42 (ecu) goes to pin 7 (dlc) and pin 43 (ecu) goes to pin 1 (dlc). The 7g DLC you posted shows that pin 1(dlc) is the output and pin 7 (dlc) is the control signal.

Using that information I assume that to connect a 1g ecu to a 7g dlc I would need to connect the oulput (pin 1 on the 1g ecu) to pin 1 of the 7g dlc, and connect the control signal (pin 2 on the 1g ecu) to pin 7 of the 7g dlc.

I guess I am just not getting it. Sorry to beat a dead horse. In reality this shouldn't be a big deal because once the car is wired up, if the DLC doesn't work properly, it's only a matter of swapping two pins (either on the ecu plugs or the dlc).

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    Thanks Stunr. There's no rush; I've got several more months of work on this project, but the information would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    Any chance on getting that picture? I really just need to know which sensor you tapped into.

Thanks,

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12