The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Front Brakes Caliper Bolts Question

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Front Brakes Caliper Bolts Question

Vehicle is 1997 Galant ES, 2.4L, I4, SOHV. I am in the process of replacing the front brake pads and after dismantling noticed that the caliper pins are different. One has a groove for a rubber bushing (to reduce vibration, I assume) and the other is just plain without the groove. The trouble is now I don't know which goes where or even if it matters. Would be grateful if someone can lead me in the right direction. Thanks.

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    one is a lock pin(with rubber bushing) and one is a guide pin...G and L should be engraved into the head of the bolt and and onto the bracket....Lock Pin should be the top bolt and Guide should be the bottom according to the 8g service manual...although it shouldn't be much different maybe one of the 7g guys will chime in

Quote Originally Posted by rir74 View Post
    Vehicle is 1997 Galant ES, 2.4L, I4, SOHV. I am in the process of replacing the front brake pads and after dismantling noticed that the caliper pins are different. One has a groove for a rubber bushing (to reduce vibration, I assume) and the other is just plain without the groove. The trouble is now I don't know which goes where or even if it matters. Would be grateful if someone can lead me in the right direction. Thanks.
    hah i did the exact same thing man.

make sure you clean out the bore of the bracket where the pins are with brake parts cleaner and a soft wire brush.
    once they are dryed out, re-lubricate the pins and the cavity with moly-based caliper grease.
    If the bushings are torn, or damaged in any way, they need to be replaced.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo