The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DIY front windows fix

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

DIY front windows fix

Do the front windows happen to get stuck in the middle, and not be able to move unless you guide them thru? Well mine do, and there is fix for that! This has been happening ever since Ive had the car, and gets even worse during the winter. I searched here in TGC, and found not a lot of info about that problem - mostly it was suggested to get the rubber grommet out and wash it, but it didnt help at all. Still, it has to be pulled out, and while its out its a good idea to give it a nice wash.
    Start by removing the 7 screws that hold the door panel

Use a screwdriver and slip it under the bottom end of the panel and pry the snap buttons out. Grab the panel and wiggle it up and out of the door. This is how it should look like /maybe yours is better, mine looks like $#]^/:

NOw its a good time to get the window out and clean it with acetone especially the edges that slide into the grommet. The window is held by two screws, and if you roll it down these screws are visible an available from the big oval opening at the bottom of the door /no picture, sorry - refer to the pic above/. Pull the window out, and put it aside. You can put the window back as soon it clean.

The grommet is shaped into the door and it is not glued, so pull it out.

This is how it should look like /that my passenger side/

The driver side was different story; it was looking like this:

So, I cut off the OK end, and I also cut the half towards the door panel. I applied some window weld / this is what i had/ on the back of the half towards the side mirror, and stuck it back in the rail. Rolled the window up for pressure and after 30 min the window was working like it was brand new. All this is from around the side mirror area to about half way down the door.

the OK bottom end, and the half towards the door panel

I hope it makes sense.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

i get this also.but i sort of get confused on the part where you cut.

so the main problem was the grommet?

also good tutorial,i got to try this out sometime..

WANNA LOOK FRESH????
    GET SOME CLOTHES AT KARMALOOP.COM AND GET 20% ON FIRST PURCHASE WHEN USING REPCODE:KN21899

siniGANG represent!

I knew it would be confusing! Let me put this way:

You got the grommet washed, and put put it back in the rail all around the window and inside of the door. You have the door open and youre looking at it from back like you wanna get in the car. You pull the grommet out from the side mirror to the bottom end. From the mirror to about 10'' down it was sliced in half, the rest of it was ok. Now I cut the OK part off. Then you have the grommet, and the groove where the window slides facing you; its like a U shape and the bottom of the U is sliced. The left side of the U which is the side next to the mirror is the one that you dont cut; you apply glue and put it back where it belongs. The right side of the U, the side next to the door panel, you cut off and get rid off.

I hope this one makes sense
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    was it just getting stuck or was the window motor like making a grind noise... cuz thats what mine does. my gues is that its the motors..

Nice job Chris, thanks! I have the same problem with my 8G. Looking at the manual I have the same type grommet arrangement as the 7G. So iif it ever stops raining I have a place to start looking for issues.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

So i had that problem a couple times, and then the plastic reel broke with the cable around it, like shattered completely, this happened back in january, and i haven't seen the car sense then, but does anybody know what that piece is called? I think it was white plastic, but idk for sure, it was five months ago that i saw my car.... any info would be appreciated!!!!

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

I just did this to my G. both front windows stuck like crazy. Followed the tutorial exactly. no shit, they work like new again.
    Great job MKO

i have a 1994 automatic galant and the drivers window just opens half way the you have to guide it to the top it kind of moves or gets stuck on one side i want to try this but i get confused on the cutting part can someone help??

Have had window problems with the fronts as well, and have heard of 7g's having notorious window problems from excessive use. The motor in my driver side died :(. Anyway this is great thanks

My driver's side front window stuck like crazy. Had to pull the window back to assist it up everytime. I tried silcon spray and soaked the inner part of the rubber U channel where the window slides. Run the window down and spray window channel. Run window up and down a couple of times and spray it again. I did it over a year ago and it still works like new. You might want to try this first as you don't have to pull the door panel, etc.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL