The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: push button starter

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

push button starter

I was wondering if anybody has recently done a push button starter install and if so how they did it. I found a couple threads from a while ago and didn't know if anyone had done it since then.

Also, I have a remote start/alarm system. Could a push button starter install mess that up if done properly?
    '03
    rockin' the DE

i know that push button start for 1 is not an inexpensive thing. Push button start is nice cause it won't over crank the engine at start-up but i have not seen it done on a Galant yet.

As far as remote start and a push button, i would just stick with the remote start only. i have remote start and i love it. Seems good to me. GL though!

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Are you trying to make it easier for thieves take it??? Has that thought not cross your mind yet??

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    8-)8-) you should do it and pm me your adress when its done 8-) 8-)

i thought when it was push button start you still have to put the key in the accessory position to start it, correct me if i am wrong
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

Quote Originally Posted by guynlidia2006 View Post
    i thought when it was push button start you still have to put the key in the accessory position to start it, correct me if i am wrong
    no your right. i don't see how it would be easier. As far as i know push button start to be, these are the circumstances...

1. The key has to be in a special slot in order for the button to work.

or

2. The key has to be in the vehicle in the vehicle for it to turn on (if it was intelligent key)

3. there would be no turning of the key either. The key ignition would become just a hole to put something into. i.e. P in VA-G!!

now i would love to make my car push button start with an intelligent key... that would be bad ass
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

i think you might like this system... i am considering getting it...
    http://www.gallotech.com/prodinfo1.php
    Mods:

only thing i dont like about the system is it isnt wireless like the ones in the new nissans etc.. how would someone install a system like the new cars, where u could just keep the key fub in your pocket and push start and go?
    Mods:

Quote Originally Posted by guynlidia2006 View Post
    only thing i dont like about the system is it isnt wireless like the ones in the new nissans etc.. how would someone install a system like the new cars, where u could just keep the key fub in your pocket and push start and go?
    You need a new computer. You aren't going to build or buy one aftermarket, since part of the system must unlock the steering column, provide power to the ignition switch and electronically recognize the key.

It's not another projector headlight project.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

haha x2

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    This must be a lazy issue because I dont see the point of this push button. If you didn't need a key, ok maybe it might make a little sense then but you still need the key so you are adding more wires and drilling holes in your ride instead of just turning the key just one more click?? Maybe I dont get it but that sounds retarded.

i agree with RAZ_76. if it doesnt come with your car as an option at the dealer leave it.

does there need to be a point? i just want a push button for the sake of having a push button. not to make it easier or more convenient. i kind of figured out that it wasn't going to be any easier than just turning the key and frankly, i don't care or else i wouldn't be wanting to do this. and it won't be any easier to steal because you still need the one and only key that is in my possession at all times to start my car with or without the push button.
    '03
    rockin' the DE

nice that sounds like a good mod

1999 8G Sittin On 18's
    East Coast Duece!

I noticed Stewi had a push to start button in his 8g, he was telling me that it wasnt too hard to put it in, i can see if he would be interested in making a tutorial if he had the time? i know his cars in the shop getting a new coat :)~!
    ~Gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by therev View Post
    I noticed Stewi had a push to start button in his 8g, he was telling me that it wasnt too hard to put it in, i can see if he would be interested in making a tutorial if he had the time? i know his cars in the shop getting a new coat :)~!
    ~Gabe
    Yeah I had it in there still but its not functional since I no longer NEED it.

Here is the deal...

Once upon a time I had a standalone engine management system that was recommended to me by the shop that I originally went to for my engine work/tuning. I took their advice as at the time I had very little tuning knowledge. To make a long story short, to install this thing, you essentially had to make your own wiring harness for it, wasnt too bad, about 30 wires, but then you also had to splice in here and there to "integrate" it with your stock ignition switch (turning the key on and making it start)

Everything worked fine and then out of the blue the car wouldnt start anymore with the key. I had to "hot wire" the starter to get it to start. I checked the relays, fuses, starter, ignition switch, everything and had no luck finding the problem.

So to work around this, this is what I did....

You go into the fuse box on the left side of the dash and you find a fuse that is only powered with the key in the "ON" position. You run a wire from that fuse hole (use an Add-a-circuit, they are $5, dont be cheap) to the push button starter, then another wire from the push button starter to a relay which you mount in the engine bay ($5 30amp automotive relay, RadioShack) You wire the power output of that relay to the starter solenoid power wire. If you dont know how to wire up a relay, please look it up online and if you cant figure it out, you shouldnt be doing this. Once thats all wired up, turn the key to the on position (Yes Toretto, you still have to use the key) then press and hold the "push to start" button until the motor starts up then let go of the button. Like I said, this was to work around another issue. Since then I have replaced the entire wiring harness and fuse boxes in my car and no longer need this. The switch I got is from Ignited performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

that explanation alone, has influenced me to finally get my 5 series with Comfort Access Push Button Start. I now appreciate the 7 series i drive here and there haha

I am gonna bring this topic back up.

I could put a momentary switch in the car and hook it up to the remote start module. You could sit in the car and tap the button and it would start the car for you. If you wanted to drive off though, you would have to have the key in the on position, just like you normally would with remote start. When you press the brake to shift into gear, it will disable the remote starter and give control back over to the key so when you took the key out of the on position, it kills the car.