The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Potential projector retrofit

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Potential projector retrofit

So i had gotten sum halo projectors for my girlfriends car last summer, and juat a few weeks ago they went out. She got sum oem now but she let me have the halos.
    Im tryin to c if i can fit them into my heads but the problem i c is that the hid bulb from the ddm kit doesnt quite fit into the projector so either get a different size bulb or widen the hole on the projector.
    Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

You need to shave down the where the bulb goes in. Also, you need to have the correct bulb size, you wont fit an H4 bulb into an H1/3 hole.

To fit those in your heads, the most common way is to hack up your reflector to mount them. That's not a crazy amount of work, but it's not the easiest thing either. For all that work, you'd be better off putting real HID projectors in your headlights, since they will actually put real usable light out on the ground where you need it. Get some Morimoto projectors, either the Mini H1 or Mini D2S from www.theretrofitsource.com and get shrouds and halos while you're there to make it all look OEM, you'll be pleased. I know it costs more than the $free.99 you paid for your girl's setup, but it'll work so much better, especially if you don't have JDM heads and want to keep a working high-beam.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

^ THAt!!

Idea, use those in your fogs...

are those HID projectors or halogen ones?

Most likely they are halogen ebay projectors, like those available for the 8G, better than stock reflectors but no match for OEM HID projectors.

What car were those from?

Pontiac Gran AM? or Suziki Reno?

How can i use those as my fogs? N they came wit a hologen bulb so most likely hologen. They r for a grand am gt

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Thnx i was thinkin of doin that but since i have em im goin to put them to use, and if they dont work well im goin to go wit ur idea for sure

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

^^wetamup2k3g

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    You need to shave down the where the bulb goes in. Also, you need to have the correct bulb size, you wont fit an H4 bulb into an H1/3 hole.
    Well heres wer im confused the hologen bulb is H1 and thats wat the hid kit is also but its just a little too thick

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

wetemup: is bi-xenon where the lows and highs are in one projector?
    if i wanted dual projectors in my jdm heads which ones would you recommend?

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    ^www.hidplanet.com

read, look for Bi-Xenon projector comparisons to see what you want, either way nothing will be easy

MORIMOTO MINI HI Kits are an easy retrofit

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...ight=jdm+bulbs
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3 View Post
    wetemup: is bi-xenon where the lows and highs are in one projector?
    if i wanted dual projectors in my jdm heads which ones would you recommend?
    Yes, bi-xenon projectors have a shield in them that retracts down via a solenoid to allow more light to pass through the lens when you turn on the high's. When not in use, the shield is up, blocking light from going above a certain point, making sure no glare is shining into drivers' eyes.

For projectors, it depends on what you want. If you want the best output, without much concern of the difficulty of installing, I'd try to stuff some TL projectors (3rd gen TL, 2004-2008) in there, but they are big. They may not fit. I'd suggest some Lexus LS460 Bi-xenons, but I don't think they'll fit at all. Lexus RX350 Bi-xenons are also in the same bracket.

From there, the Infiniti FX35/G35 projectors are a nice projector, smaller and easier to install, but not as nice as the TL output-wise. I'd do an FX-R though if I went that route, they are replicas of the FX, but they have mounting points cast into their housing, making installation much easier.

If you want to sacrifice a little (and only a little) performance for ease of installation, go with the Morimoto Mini H1 projector or the Mini D2S projector, although the H1 has much better output. These projectors have a threaded neck with a lock nut that fits into the reflector in your headlight that needs no cutting whatsoever. They are a great first-timer retrofit projector, but there's a hit on performance. They will still be light years ahead of pretty much any halogen reflector, especially the ones in the Galants.

Like johnygezony said, hit www.hidplanet.com and do some reading, all the stuff you would need for such a project can be had at www.theretrofitsource.com. Hope this helps!

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Galant Lopez View Post
    How can i use those as my fogs? N they came wit a hologen bulb so most likely hologen. They r for a grand am gt

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D
    Same way you would stuff them into the headlight. The reason the HID bulb didn't fit is because the halogen H1 bulbs are slimmer which is why you need to file the opening or use a drill bit that is a bout the size of the HID bulb. I had to do this for the eBay projectors on my eclipse, just be careful to not break the mounting spot or leave any of the shavings in the projector.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Same way you would stuff them into the headlight. The reason the HID bulb didn't fit is because the halogen H1 bulbs are slimmer which is why you need to file the opening or use a drill bit that is a bout the size of the HID bulb. I had to do this for the eBay projectors on my eclipse, just be careful to not break the mounting spot or leave any of the shavings in the projector.
    Would i need new fogs? Or would the oem ones work, because i dont think these projectors will fit inside the oem fog

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Yes if you want to use those crappy projectors.

elaboration on what Wetamup said
    TL-Way to big for the novice, and Perhaps even for our headlight without extensive modifcation
    RX-350 Bi-X Awesome performance, but it is still a 3Inch projector and will require a lot of work and creativity
    FX35/45/R- best all around for Ease of install, Performance, and D2S OEM bulb capability.
    Morimoto Mini H1-Easiest to do with the best output out of the Mini's
    Morimoto Mini D2s-Piece of shit that no one should ever buy

As you can see Him and I are frequent visitors of HIDplanet :D

^^
    *nods in agreement*

-Greg

Had to come back for a little research. Good input Greg!!