The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need HELP FAST!!!!!!!Alternator ISSUE!

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Need HELP FAST!!!!!!!Alternator ISSUE!

Guys i have a huge issue my alternator belt has been squeeling and it finally snapped yesterday. I of course lost power steering and my alternator. This has been a recurring issue. And i have searched on here for a solution to repairing it. I have repaired this myself 3 times already it seems quite obvious to me that i am not doin sumtin right when it comes to tightening the belt. Is there any tutorial on how to tighten this belt to the right tension? Or can someone give me some advise for tightening the tensioner. I plan on doin this repair tonight.
    Last edited by galantracer97; 09-10-2008 at 01:39 PM

Get some belts from the dealer. Ive heard some belts sold in the autoparts stores snap too easy. When I do my belts i usually push on the belt in the area between the pulleys and it sinks down about 1/4 inch
    Last edited by mko; 09-10-2008 at 01:48 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Well I do not have the time to go to the dealer. What should i ask for at autozone.

Well, I ve never bought belts from Autozone and cant tell you what brand you should buy. Go with the most expensive one, install it and see how long itll last.

The thing is that when you tense the brand new belt once, there is a breaking period and during that time the belt will extend and start squilling, so you ll have to tense it one more time
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

From the Haynes Repair Manual: "The tension of each belt is checked by pushing on it at a distance halfway between the pulleys. Apply about 20 pounds of force with your thumb and see how much the belt moves down (deflects). Measure the deflection with a ruler. The belt should deflect about 1/4 inch if the distance between pulleys is between 7 and 11 inches and around 1/2 inch if the distance is between 12 and 16 inches."

See illustration below: