The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help with installing amp..

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Help with installing amp..

Hey i just bought a new infinity kappa 6-1/2 and 6x9 with a alpine mrp-f300 amplifier. I have a 99 galant w/out the inifinty system. this is the first time i am installing amps with speakers and i have no idea how to wire the amp. The only thing i know is how to install the speakers because i swapped out the factory with sony xplode. I know my car doesn't have a stock amp so i am kind of clueless. Can somebody tell me give me a tutorial on the guides to installing amps, wiring and how to hook it up to the speakers. Thanks

extremely basic setup

power wire from battery to fuse within ~ 1 foot. then from fuse to trunk/amp
    ground wire from amp to a solid ground in the trunk/rear of the car. a solid ground is part of the metal frame of the car that has been sanded down until the metal becomes shiny. make sure this is attached strongly.
    RCA or interconnect wires from back of headunit to inputs on the amp.
    remote turn on wire from blue wire on the back of the headunit to the remote spot on the amp.
    speaker wire from + and - terminals on the amps to the + and - terminals of the speakers.

its not that hard, but not the easiest thing in the world either. i think its a good learning experience for someone who wants to learn how to modify their car on their own.
    ...pain is temporary, pride is forever...

Hey also another thing.. I was looking for an amp wiring kit on ebay and found some for 20 bucks. Is there any diffrence between the 20 dollar brand and the 80 dollar one on crutchfield. There both 8 gauge and comes with all the wires.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nycking23 View Post
    then from fuse to trunk/amp
    and make sure to go through the firewall

speaker wire from + and - terminals on the amps to the + and - terminals of the speakers.
    instead of going to each speaker, utilize the harness coming from your deck and attach the output wires coming from your deck to the speaker wires in the harness

Quote Originally Posted by tci837 View Post
    Hey also another thing.. I was looking for an amp wiring kit on ebay and found some for 20 bucks. Is there any diffrence between the 20 dollar brand and the 80 dollar one on crutchfield. There both 8 gauge and comes with all the wires.
    depends on the kit. i'd say link it, but i wouldn't trust amp kits on ebay unless they were a name brand like rockford, tsunami, street wires, etc. if it was scosche i still wouldn't buy it either.
    Last edited by fliegendaffe; 09-11-2008 at 07:05 PM

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    all the kit has is
    10 ft power cable 8gage
    4 ft of ground cable 8gage
    RCA
    connectors 4 females 4 males
    2 6ft speacker wires

if i were u blah the ebay kit go to a radio sound system shop near ur home and buy
    -10 ft of 4 gage wire
    -4 ft of 4 gage ground wire
    this should cost about any where from 15 to 20 bucks

then go to homedepot lowes and buy
    the connectors 4 male n 4 females n 4 connectors for the 4 gage wires all males
    and a really good thick set of 12 feet RCA
    and buy a small roll of 10 gage speaker wire and ur set
    this should cost about 40 to 50 bucks

and gurantee this set up will be alot better than what ur thinking of getting PS If i were u get a cap too
    Last edited by jimmy_o2; 09-11-2008 at 11:07 AM
    03 I4

Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    and make sure to go through the firewall
    im assuming you highlighted the wrong part, because id hope you dont mean to run your ground through the firewall, i doubt he would have enough of a voltage drop with a single amp to warrant grounding to the negative battery terminal.

instead of going to each speaker, utilize the harness coming from your deck and attach the output wires coming from your deck to the speaker wires in the harness
    you lost me. either im not understanding what your saying, or, well no, your not a complete idiot so that must be it.
    ...pain is temporary, pride is forever...

if you connect an amp, you don't use the speaker wire from the harness because you will be using the RCA pre-outs

im assuming you highlighted the wrong part, because id hope you dont mean to run your ground through the firewall, i doubt he would have enough of a voltage drop with a single amp to warrant grounding to the negative battery terminal.
    yes, i did. i fixed it.

you lost me. either im not understanding what your saying, or, well no, your not a complete idiot so that must be it.
    you run the speaker wire for the 4ch from the amp to the harness behind the radio. thus you don't have to run new wires through the boots and save some headache

Quote Originally Posted by racesnos View Post
    if you connect an amp, you don't use the speaker wire from the harness because you will be using the RCA pre-outs
    obviously you read wrong as well

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_o2 View Post
    PS If i were u get a cap too
    if he had a sub amp as well, then i would say get a cap, but there is no need for one for just a 4ch

ok i have a quick question that hopefully i'll get a response asap... im about to buy 3 sets of rca cable for my front & rear speakers and for my subs.. If i get a 20ft for my subs and a 6 or 12 ft for my front and rear speakers and i going to hear the difference. thanks for the help...

PS im about to get these wires in an hour so i need the response asap

i would recommend the 17' ones all around. the only sound difference there will be is in the quality of the cables.

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    if he had a sub amp as well, then i would say get a cap, but there is no need for one for just a 4ch
    but that also depending on the wattage he is going on the 4chan plus he did mention subs
    03 I4

and dont forget to disconnect the + battery terminal and make sure your amp is grounded before you reconnect it. if u dont then you'll have a bad day

i hate when i have to disconnect my battery... always resets my EQ settings in my Nav unit...

Hey guys I have a question for someone who knows alot about amplifier. Im debating between an Alpine mrp-f300 or MTX Terminator TN4004. There both 75 watt RMS @ 2ohms x 4 so its perfect for my speakers. The alpine has a built in crossover, but the infinity kappa speakers i have already has crossover built in so I don't think the built in crossover for the alpine amp matters. Does anybody have experience with the MTX amp. If nobody does, i think im going to go with the alpine.

are you sure you speakers are 2-ohm?

i have experience with the MTX amp. i sell and install them at work. they are an ok amp. i like the kicker 08zx3504 we sell better.

let us know what speakers you have first.

i have the infinity kappa 62.9 and 692.9. and yea its 2 ohms. Atleast thats what it says for the specs

why not match infinity with infinity?

if you want, go with either or those amps. the speakers will be a little under powered, but you should be ok.