The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Apex'i S-AFC.... who's got one?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 29 of 29
    Dark Anghell
    Actually Chiltosn's manual really sucks for some of their diagrams. They are off by quiet a bit. But they do tell you where ECU is located though

Jip you are partially correct about the ecu pinouts. But you have tyo remember that mitsubishi did a realy dumb thing...they changed ECu and wiring harnesses for their 96+ galants. In the 96+ galant the ECU has the same plugs as the one on 4g63 ECU, that's why it's much easier to do an engine swap in those cars.

My tutorial is for 94-95 Galants ONLY. (or at least for galant's who's ecu is different from eclipses')
    >Step 1: Disconnect the battery by removing the negative (ground) wire
    >Step 2: Locate the ECU. It is rignt behind the stereo, and underneath the transmition ECU. Best place to get to is is from passenger side.
    >Step 3: Remove the ECU from it's stock location. You will need a 10 and a 12mm socket wrench. Usually it helps if you pull all of the wiring out as far as you can.
    >Step 4: Locate and connect the following wires...
    S-AFC wires ECU wires
    Orange-----------white/black
    Pink---------------white black (ecu side, check manual for more info)
    Green-------------brown/green
    Red----------------red (very thick wire)
    Black--------------black (right next to red)
    Grey---------------green/white
    >Step 5: Attach the negative wire back to the battery and start the car. It will have a very low and unstable idle for a day or so (ecu's memory was erased, so it needs time to adapt to the car). Your SAFC should turn on.
    >Step 6: Pull out the manual for SAFC and get everything setup. Here are few things to look for:
    ----Throttle, make sure it shows how much throttle you give it
    ----RPM, they will be off by a little bit, but that's OK
    ----Air-flow, when the car is idling it should say +/-35Hz ( :!: Don't forget to change the sensor type to Karman :!: )
    >Step 7: Don't richen the car too much or lean it out too much if you have nothing done to the car.
    With intake and exhaust I leaned it out by about 4% max at about 4K+RPM, at 1K it's at 0%, at 1.5K it's at 1%, at 2 it's 2%, at 3 it's 3%. This is my low throttle setting.
    At high throttle i richened it up a bit between 1K and 4K, after that I leaned it out to about 4%. Becuse our car run really rich at high RPM at high throttle.
    >Step 8: There's none! You are done

Experienced TGC Member
    Well done Pavel, well done. It doesn't help me and my 98 but well done

So then... my ECU pin outs are identical to the 4g63 then, or is the diagram that Jip gave me the appropriate schematic?

BTW, my S-AFC manuals are all in Chinese. I know the English version is on the Apex'i website but I have no printer right now
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

ummm
    your pinout should *not* be the same As the eclipse

similar, but not Identicle (unless I'm really wrong?)

if you can get me a Copy of the s-afc wiring, I can get it for you for the galant

(what year are you? 95?)

well.. I have 96+ info here....
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

Experienced TGC Member
    Wait now im confused also lol... And yes Ive found quite a few errors in chiltons.

Ok Pav. said the 96+ galants ecu changed and have the same connectors as the 4g63...he has a 98 so he should still have the same connectors and pin numbers as the one in the diagram..and he should have basically the same ecu that I do in my 97. Yes/no?

And well the wiring isnt exactly the same as the eclipse but the vast majority of it is. There are like 5 extra wires/missing wires, we dont have coilpacks so we dont have both outputs for ignition, etc.. Thats why I sent the link from Barnone (Craig werent you the one who give the ecu differences to Kim? someone on 4g64group did) Anyway the wires you need for the AFC are the same.

Im actually looking through junkyards for an Eclipse Spyder ECU and going to swap to get rid of this damn distributer. When I do that..I'll let you know the differences in wiring.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Dark Anghell
    No no no JIP , the pinouts are not the same. Only the plugs (the plastic part) are the same. So the diagram you showed is the correct one for 96+ models, and mine is correct for 94-95 models.
    I hope this makes sense

Experienced TGC Member
    You can call me Rob

I understood that but he has a 98 so I gave him the right diagrams .. I think.

Also...According to the diagrams and the excel sheet, pin 58 is ignition signal (tach) Well...thats one of the differences between Eclipse and Galant, our Tach signal wire is pin 31 NOT 58.

And I actually just pulled my afc out today. I think its been f*ckin with me.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Dark Anghell
    don't u just hate mitsu for changing the harnesses like that :evil:
    What was happening to your SAFC? Did it make your Engine Check light come on?

Experienced TGC Member
    No check engine light. Now I have the 1st gen afc, nothing fancy at all like the new ones, I have 5 dials for 5 rpm ranges to tune +-30% and thats it. The afc inputs are only the MAS, Tach.

I normally have every set to 0 since I have no real mods on the car other CAI for now. But you know when I turn any rpm range dial to richen up, my A/F gauge usualy does show the mixture richeneda little more. With everything set to 0 I was only like 1 notch into rich side, (no I dont have a digital readout gauge ) and basically just screwing around in an open lot, I turned the dial up for rpm ranges just a notch or two and got no response from according to my A/F gauge. Just idling in park I turned up the 800rpm range dial, and usaly A/F goes real rich, ecu goes into open loop mode, car idles like crap...well this didnt happen.

I been having a lot of issues with getting bad mpg and I dont know if its in my head or if its a problem cause everythign checks out fine. So whatever I dont need the afc now, so I pulled it thinking its probly screwin with something, my car is running a little richer at full throttle now like I'd like it to be.

And I cant find my MAP sensor either! The pin on my ECU doesnt even exist, thats really bothering me..I posted a topic on that in general forum if someone would like to answer
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Dark Anghell
    I had an issue with the MAP sensor as well...I did find the answer though
    We have MAF instead of MAP sensor. Older galants I guess did have that sensor on top of the intake manifold (picture in chilton's manual). So don't worry about that.

My car is running kind of funny too. At idle the RPM is really low. Sometimes it goes down to about 600 on the tach. But my SAFC tells me that it's at 700RPM. Other than that...the car runs fine with the safc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12