The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 speed Transmission

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

5 speed Transmission

My question is: how do you know that you are getting a good 5speed when it is already out the car or in a dead car? The reason why i am asking this is my auto is starting to shift hard when i deaccelerate. I assumed it might be time to do the swap. I have been to the car-parts site and located alot of transmissions. I havent check pick and pull yet thou i will this weekend. But back to topic, how will i know that it is good? I really dont want to buy a bad 5speed. This is my daily and i want to swap it on during a free weekend.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    id say the best you can do is find one with low miles and dowut u can with it. check with where ur getting it 2 c if it was from a wrecked or donated vehicle or sumthin like that si you can have some idea. And if it is even a tranny that goes soon it is a fraqction of the cost that auto will b. take it from me ive been through 4.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Cant really do anything but shift it through its gears with the car off(if its in the junkyard, it probably wont start), check for any cracks on the trans housing, drain the fluid, make sure there arent any metal shavingsin the gear oil.

Other then that, cross your fingers and say a prayer. I bought my trans off eBay 5 years ago, in the auction the guy stated he had no clue on the state of the trans. I guess I got lucky, paid $100 shipped to boot lol.
    7g for life!

I have another question: Sould i get an eclipse 5speed trans or a galant 5speed trans? It seems galant trans are alot cheaper.

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    dang i just wrote a bunch of stuff and the page didn't load grrr.

I say if you find a tranny in good condition don't worry so much about it. probably best to find one on a stock car. it will have less excessive wear.replace the slave cyl, master cyl, clutch and flywheel, get SS lines and call it a day.

My experience... i got a tranny from the JY. DID NOT replace the slave or master cyl. Added SBR clutch, LSD insert, Aluminum flywheel, and SS lines, and have had no major problems for since i did the swap in '06.

There is no dip stick, just a front fill hole. you just fill the hole till gear oil dribbles out of the front.

Eclipse 5sp vs Galant 5sp

Both are durable, only thing i've heard is the G's have a longer first gear, meaning you can stay in it a little longer before needing to change gears. othere than that i don't think there is a difference. So i say save your money.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    wERD, NUFF SAID

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

your galant 5 speed needs that longer first gear to get the heavier car moving, which is why it has longer piston stroke for increased torque, to get the heavier car moving from a stop. Just get a Galant tranny. Fuck eclipses, their gay, thats why you bought a mans car not a little boys car.
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

Yellowed, cloudy headlights.

spraypaint on the door panels.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    7g is lighter then a 2g GST.

98 GST: Curb Weight: 2921 lbs.
    98 Galant ES: Curb Weight: 2877 lbs.

And the 7g is more like an old mans car haha.
    7g for life!

Wow...just wow at that other post...thanks for clearing that up Seth.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Proto
    Also I might add since I've used both trannies. The input shaft on the eclipse axles is THICKER than the galants meaning Galant axles wont work in a eclipse tranny, visa versa. Automatic and 5 speed axles ARE the same.

You read my mind. I was going to ask that. I assuming everybody is running stock axles with no problems right. I thought the stock axle were rated something really low on the horsepower scale.

Proto
    I was pushing 17 lbs on my 60 trim and no problems with the galant axles.

yes and i can vouche for the above. i seen it, and felt it.

galant axles can prob hold close to 400. DOHCstunr and micro galant are in the 300's easily and don't have axle problems.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Galant axles should work in an eclipse transmission IF you get the proper axle seals and install them first... unless the splines on the input shaft are different.

222whp/250wtq

Seth what is the weight of the 7G S model...from what I have been told it is the lightest of the galants. I knew they were all lighter than the Eclipse though...just didnt know by how much

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

wow didn't know that a 7g was lighter than a gst.
    8g tranny is being rebuilt and waiting on ground control coilovers
    7g is just sitting motor and tranny is out(need to finish, just lazy)
    6g (vr4) motor is out getting the good stuff like a gt4088 and some more stupid stuff.
    Nice to be back!!!!

I have two manual transmissions. One from my running car and one from a parts car. I have no idea what condition the parts car trans is in but the one from my car was working fine. I thought that it was going out but discovered that the shifter cable bushing was completely torn and the rear motor mount was fucked, which probably caused the sloppy shifts that I was feeling. I am going to have one rebuilt and will be selling the other. TRE offers $300.00 for a good core so if you want to offer me anything close to that, it's yours.