The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 17 vs 18?

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

17 vs 18?

So I have been waiting to get some 18" black/polished lip wheels for about 8 months. Theyve been on a nationwide backorder, and I understand the problem is that Im trying to get some 18s. If I go down to 17's I may be able to get my hands on a set....what do you guys think? I'm not lowered yet, and I don't have a body kit or anything. Would 18s look stupid? Im lowering myself on some KYB GR-2's and Tein s-techs, so I dont want it to look ridiculous. Also, if I go 17's, the correct size is 17x7 with 225-45/17 tires, correct?

Black '02 2.4L ES ~ TGCLI

Experienced TGC Member
    I was runnin 17's with 225/45/17 tires with stock suspension for about 1-2 months, it wasnt too bad but once I lowered it, it looked alot better.

And dont mind the bumpers, they will be painted soon enough.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

I'm running 17 inch 3G eclipse wheels with Eibach pro kit and KYB AGX, check my build thread or my signature for pictures.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

go with 18's at least unless you go w/ 17" stock from a 3G or EVO.

I have 18's and lowered on Eibach speings with KYB AGX struts. You can look at my pics to get an idea

if you get 17's make sure youre on coilovers. youre gonna want zero wheel gap or it wont look right. tires for either one are pretty decent prices so it one hit you on the wallet.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

18s, trust me, you will be happier you did 18s. Be patient.

I totally agree with Dave. I say 18's are the way to go

Okay guys, thanks alot for the input. 18's it is, I guess I just gotta keep on waiting. God damnit.

I wish I would have waited to get 18's. 17's are nice and alot better than stock but still. At least I did pick a wheel design that makes the wheel look a little bigger than it is. I've seen some 17's w/ a lip that just does not look good.

yeah man yours is lookin really good! i like it! ^^yeah!!^^

I had 17s for a while and I probably wouldn't have minded the rough suspension as much if the guy I ordered them from had gotten tires for them with the correct load index for the weight of the car. Be very careful about that alot of "tire experts" don't really know shit about the tires and wheels they are selling and you have your tires and wheels installed somewhere and find out those tires have the load index for a 2 door honda civic that weighs 1000 pound less.
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

Yellowed, cloudy headlights.

spraypaint on the door panels.

Quote Originally Posted by racesnos View Post
    yeah man yours is lookin really good! i like it! ^^yeah!!^^
    Thanks man. If I get more wheels I'm gonna go for the scheme you have (haha) w/ the black face and chrome/polished lip b/c I really like that look too!

Quote Originally Posted by galantryinbattle View Post
    I had 17s for a while and I probably wouldn't have minded the rough suspension as much if the guy I ordered them from had gotten tires for them with the correct load index for the weight of the car. Be very careful about that alot of "tire experts" don't really know shit about the tires and wheels they are selling and you have your tires and wheels installed somewhere and find out those tires have the load index for a 2 door honda civic that weighs 1000 pound less.
    The problem is those garbage online sites that advertise the cheapest package possible. Thats why you rarely hear about any issues at an actual tire store. The big problem is not a un-informed tire salesman, its the un-informed consumer.

Well to confirm, for 18's on an 02 I4, 18x7.5 with 225-40/18 tires?

Quote Originally Posted by galant3jl12's View Post
    Thanks man. If I get more wheels I'm gonna go for the scheme you have (haha) w/ the black face and chrome/polished lip b/c I really like that look too!
    thanks man, i have been looking for some more efficient daily drivers for the roads in cali, seeing as they aren't number one and a lot of peoples lists as far as quality haha.

Quote Originally Posted by hellk4t View Post
    Well to confirm, for 18's on an 02 I4, 18x7.5 with 225-40/18 tires?
    that is correct
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

Buy my 17 inch eclipse wheels for cheap!
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D