The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: what is a good tire size for 16" wheels

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

what is a good tire size for 16" wheels

Right now I have on 205/55/16 and I am wondering if the 195/40/16 would be alrite?
    I know that I will have a smaller side wall and the tire will be more stretched, I am risking less impact room, isnt that dangerous?
    Plus I read online that it will decrease my actually speed about 11 percent from going 60mph on dash to actual going 53mph. Any of it true?

Why do you want to downsize your tires so much?
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

I like the look of a wide wheel plus it will make the wheel look bigger.

I'd stick with what you got now.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You should have gotten bigger wheels instead, stretching tires for everyday driving is dangerous.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    Your car will turn into a Tonka 4x4 / matchbox car look, all at the same time.

Decreasing the tire size is a bad idea, especially such a significant amount. If you were having rubbing issues, I'd look into some alternatives, but you are on a 16" wheel (stock for many 8G's) and are at the ideal tire size (stock as well). The 195 width would still probably fit but your dangerous decrease in sidewall leaves you with a low profile and no give. You can say goodbye to ride comfort, you can say goodbye to handling due to a smaller footprint, and you can only pray that a pothole doesn't tear that skinny film of rubber off your NEW wheels. Why risk the damage? You just bought them!

The speedometer shift in reading is real - always shoot for something relatively close to stock dimensions.

So in the end I say, keep what you got Raf, it works.

On a side note, I am selling my old 18's lol

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by RafalGTZ00 View Post
    Right now I have on 205/55/16 and I am wondering if the 195/40/16 would be alrite?
    I know that I will have a smaller side wall and the tire will be more stretched, I am risking less impact room, isnt that dangerous?
    Plus I read online that it will decrease my actually speed about 11 percent from going 60mph on dash to actual going 53mph. Any of it true?

awfully misguided idea. if you want the wheel to look bigger, get a bigger wheel. actually if your going to stay w/ 16's get 225/50r16. you get better handling, more wheel protection and your speedometer will stay correct (the tire u have now and the tire i just recommended are almost exactly the same height, but the second is WIDER). simply decreasing your tire height without increasing your wheel diameter will make your wheel well gap look BIGGER, making your car look raised. actually if you want your 16's to look bigger, shrink your car.

Quote Originally Posted by RafalGTZ00 View Post
    Waste of money. Stay to the recommended sizes for any vehicle.

You destroy the vehicles braking ability, ABS, traction control (if equipped), speedometer, transmission, etc...

The biggest risk is improper load carrying of the smaller tires to hold the weight of said vehicle. Just a note with that size you LOSE over 1600lbs of load capacity even when running the tire at max pressure.