The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: WTF

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

WTF

get this, im here looking over my car, routine weekly check up,and i start it up, it revs a little high then immediately drops real low like if it wants to stall (i actually thought it was gonna turn off) but then it goes back up and idles at 1500, i usaully idle at 900
    i know my tranny is goin, but i fail to see how this could have an effect on start up
    i have an K&N intake, and a muffler and this cant be it cause i have had these mods for a while

WTF?
    "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Hey, I'm with you on this one too. I have no clue as to what causes this too. When I did the BGR's flip air intake box mod with a K&N filter upgrade, my idle was really weird too. It goes up and down when different things are powered on and off and even braking. The idle change in rpm is subtle, like +/- 100-200 rpms. But this subtle change of -200 rpms at 700 brings you to 500 rpms and the engine wants to quit.

The things that seem to affect the rpms is air, AC, in/out of gear. Once I was on the freeway with the AC on and brake to a stop in stop and go traffice and the rpm dropped to 500 rpm and the engine died. I turned off the AC and cranked it over in neutral and it was ok again.

However, I have since put in a DP... and no change in the fluctuating idle thing. Then put in a larger TB and the idling is much smoother now. Rpms still go up and down but when it dips to 600 rpm, the engine is smooth and doesn't seem like it wants to die anymore. Anyway, I still wasn't satisfied so I backed out the idle speed screw on the top of the TB until my RPM says 700 when I'm in gear with the AC on, lol.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

i forgot to add something, some times the car doesnt wanna start, then when u try again, it starts, it happens every so often, but not all the time

it really doesnt bother me that much, that it doesnt start all the time

its not like i spend all day tryin to get it started, if the first doesnt start it up the second try will
    "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

IAC

:twisted: I had the same prob. its probably your IAC Idle control motor it controls your idle it cost me 250 but just try this spray carb cleaner into your intake plenum take all the carbon out spray a little at a time and get a rag and wipe all the carbon U can see turn the car off first it might suck the rag in nut when you spray rev it up to 2 thousand and spray little at a time :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: