The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 3k gt big brake kit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 38 of 38
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice View Post
    ok well, what about the rear brembo calipers, will they be a direct bolt on? And in what year did the revision occur on the knuckle. this could be a fairly cheap winter modification for me.

I wonder... would the later 8G knuckle bolt up to a 99 eclipse GST?
    Yes this is how the 2g guys run evo brembo's
    you just don't see a lot of it because A: most people don't know what it takes to do the swap, and B: most people don't know where to get the knuckles.... and i suppose C: once they find out how to get the knuckles, they realize they cost a fortune.

but, still, you can have a sick track ready brake setup front AND rear. for slightly more than the price of just a front brake upgrade

Oh, and yes, the rear evo brembo's are a direct bolt in.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    literally all i need to do is buy a pair of 95 eclipse gsx rear rotors for 40 bucks @ autozone and i have vented rear discs.
    no you have mistaken me, I don't mean that rear ventilated disc is awesome

i meant that Mitsubishi has beefed up the VR4 brakes so much that the rear gets ventilated discs, so the front is actually double piston type

oh and a much larger disc. :smt046 So VR4 brakes nevah die.

but anyway tell me more about those Brembos coz they are pimp.

yes we know. A lot of people here have dual piston fronts with bigger rotors - thats nothing new. The thing is that there are no 2g Eclipse vented rear rotors. there are only solid slotted and cross drilled rotors. The only UDSM Mitsubishi that Ive seen with vented rear rotors are 3000gt and Diamante, but they share the same rear end when it comes for the FWD models. i suspect your rear end is not the same as 2g GSX rear end, or there is a way to put 3000gt Sl rear brakes to our cars??? IDK!!! next time I go to the junkyard ill try swapping .

Why dont you post a picture of your rear spindle and brakes, so all we have an idea of how an real vr4 looks like
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
    no you have mistaken me, I don't mean that rear ventilated disc is awesome

i meant that Mitsubishi has beefed up the VR4 brakes so much that the rear gets ventilated discs, so the front is actually double piston type

oh and a much larger disc. :smt046 So VR4 brakes nevah die.

but anyway tell me more about those Brembos coz they are pimp.

we here beefed up our own brakes. i got the same brakes as the vr-4 minus ABS and the ventilated rears.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    yes we know. A lot of people here have dual piston fronts with bigger rotors - thats nothing new. The thing is that there are no 2g Eclipse vented rear rotors. there are only solid slotted and cross drilled rotors. The only UDSM Mitsubishi that Ive seen with vented rear rotors are 3000gt and Diamante, but they share the same rear end when it comes for the FWD models. i suspect your rear end is not the same as 2g GSX rear end, or there is a way to put 3000gt Sl rear brakes to our cars??? IDK!!! next time I go to the junkyard ill try swapping .

Why dont you post a picture of your rear spindle and brakes, so all we have an idea of how an real vr4 looks like
    2G AWD cars made from 1/94 though 10/94 rear rotors ARE vented.

looks like you wil need 3000gt sl rear calipers
    Last edited by DOHCstunr; 11-21-2008 at 04:22 PM

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

wow, ive never seen one of these. i wished knew before i bought what i have now

Build Thread

aside from the list of things i'm doing over thanksgiving to the GS, vented big rear discs will be my next mod.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Look what I done got started.....lol
    8g tranny is being rebuilt and waiting on ground control coilovers
    7g is just sitting motor and tranny is out(need to finish, just lazy)
    6g (vr4) motor is out getting the good stuff like a gt4088 and some more stupid stuff.
    Nice to be back!!!!

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    aside from the list of things i'm doing over thanksgiving to the GS, vented big rear discs will be my next mod.
    ok so maybe i'm missing something... what are you guys talking about when you say vented rear big disc is it the [i]vented[\i] or the [i]big[\i]. from the looks of the pick i'm guessing big.

1 Now, if the size of the rotor is larger, then isn't the caliper a different size? i was looking at some old pics of my rear disc swap and notices the dust plate did have some room for a larger diameter rotor.

2. what size would the rear evo VIII be compared too.
    3. I've searched the 8g forums on this board and i couldn't find a tutorial or thread dedicated to the installation of the Evo VIII front calipers.

Those 8g boards seem so unorganized and cosmetic driven. Maybe because there's more people that have them, and the percentage of owners that are performance driven are smaller.
    I mean i have a feeling that as soon as one of us 7g guys puts Evo VIII brembo calipers on our cars, there will probably be a tutorial up the following weekend that will be in depth with a detailed parts list.
    Last edited by Blue Ice; 11-24-2008 at 02:09 PM

I've seen the Evo brake conversion on numerous 2G's, and both of the guys I talked to said they used 8G galant front spindles, so I would assume it would be the same for a 7G.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    I've seen the Evo brake conversion on numerous 2G's, and both of the guys I talked to said they used 8G galant front spindles, so I would assume it would be the same for a 7G.
    Jon mentioned a "revised" knuckle, so my question is, From what year does the knuckle come from?

look closely at the pics of the gsx brakes i posted

see on the edge. where it looks like two discs stuck together.
    instead of one solid one?
    just like how yoru front brakes are. there are air vanes betweeen the friction surfaces. this is called venting.
    but yoru current rear discs are solid. meaning there are no vanes for air to flow through. does that make sense?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

yes, he was talking about vented rear rotors, but what I found was that you need different caliper bracket.

Rear Evo8-9 calipers bolt right up, but you need to modify the rear dust shields to accept the bigger rotors.

front evo calipers bolt directly to Euro 8g which has the same nuckle as USDM 7g. The difference is that it has the same caliper mounting points as USDM 8g. Also the dust shield needs to be modified

Build Thread

look closely at the pics of the gsx brakes i posted

see on the edge. where it looks like two discs stuck together.
    instead of one solid one?
    just like how yoru front brakes are. there are air vanes betweeen the friction surfaces. this is called venting.
    but yoru current rear discs are solid. meaning there are no vanes for air to flow through. does that make sense?
    got it, my front are slotted, crossdrilled, and vented. Since my rear are drilled, won't this have the same advantage as solid vented. I'm guessing both are for the sake of allowing the rotors to cool as to avoid brake fading

front evo calipers bolt directly to Euro 8g which has the same knuckle as USDM 7g. The difference is that it has the same caliper mounting points as USDM 8g. Also the dust shield needs to be modified
    you lost me on that last part. at first it makes me think our knuckles will work with the Evo brakes
    but when you say "The difference is that it has the same caliper mounting points as USDM 8g" what calipers are you referring too.

If i don't need to change knuckles, then that's the answer i'm looking for.
    if i do need to change knuckles, "What year 8g knuckle would ii need?"

Alright, I know its a lil confusing. ok, USDM 8g nuckle has 4 3/4'' mounting points, and it also has McPherson type suspension. 7G USDM has 4 1/4'' caliper mounting points and multi-link type suspension. Evo 8-9 has 4 3/4'' caliper mounting points, McPherson suspension and the caliper is a direct bolt on to USDM 8g nuckle. I hope its clear so far. EURO 8g has the best of both worlds - 4 3/4'' mounting points, and multi-link type nuckle. So, euro 8g has the same nuckle as USDM 7g, but with 4 3/4'' caliper mounting points instead of 4 1/4''. I hope it makes sense now

Build Thread

Alright, I know its a lil confusing. ok, USDM 8g nuckle has 4 3/4'' mounting points, and it also has McPherson type suspension. 7G USDM has 4 1/4'' caliper mounting points and multi-link type suspension. Evo 8-9 has 4 3/4'' caliper mounting points, McPherson suspension and the caliper is a direct bolt on to USDM 8g nuckle. I hope its clear so far. EURO 8g has the best of both worlds - 4 3/4'' mounting points, and multi-link type nuckle. So, euro 8g has the same nuckle as USDM 7g, but with 4 3/4'' caliper mounting points instead of 4 1/4''. I hope it makes sense now
    So i was under the impression that there USDM 8g knuckle that will bolt up to our current suspension set up, but it's a Euro or world spec 8g knuckle instead.

Both of the guys I know with GST's and brembos used 99 USDM galant knuckles, I'll talk to them next time I see them and see exactly what they did.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

probably it was an adapter

Build Thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12