The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rough Idle

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Rough Idle

I know this a common thing here but i have an 02 galant that has a rough idle sometimes to the point of shut off. I have replaced the mas sensor, new plugs, and a new IAC motor and still no change any ideas what else it could be. Any info is appreciated i really like the galant and dont wanna have to get rid of it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Try cleaning the maf sensor

cleaning the mass air flow sensor ? its brand new

Did you search for any other threads on bad idle?

If you unhooked your battery doing any of that work, your car is going to idle rough. You have to drive it enough for it to relearn the proper idle.

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    take a look at ur motor mounts if they have a crack then that might be the problem
    03 I4

Quote Originally Posted by lavie2k9 View Post
    Did you search for any other threads on bad idle?

If you unhooked your battery doing any of that work, your car is going to idle rough. You have to drive it enough for it to relearn the proper idle.
    so is it better not to unhook the battery
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

Quote Originally Posted by guynlidia2006 View Post
    so is it better not to unhook the battery
    Depending on what you are doing. I do it every time I work on anything electrical or if I am going to be dealing with something around the airbags. If the battery is disconnected, then the airbags can't go off if you short one of them out. It also protects whatever you are working on if you are wiring it into the car. You aren't likely to short it out if there is no power to short. It saves you the worry of blowing fuses.

Lots of reasons. Mainly the airbags, and the fuses for me...

If you do unhook the battery, then just take the car for a drive down the highway and keep it at a steady speed over 55mph for a good five to ten minutes and it'll reset.

Also make sure its not the EGR valve I recently had that problem my car would idle really rough causing one one of my motor mounts to go bad. It was a mess it took me awhile to finally figure it out(had to suck it up and go to the dealer). My car ran like shit b/c of the EGR valve I ended up having to get a new EGR valve and solenoid.

woudl rough idle be the egr or the ignition coils

Give your throttle body a cleaning and then see if either of your coil packs are going... that was my problem recently. so I take it your not geting a CEL/SES light?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4G64 */* !!NEW!! 03 Honda CBR F4i
    * a little done -*- more to come *
    My Dual Halo H3 Projector Project

im not getting any check engine light

The throttle cleaning did the trick for me also.
    Respect the woman’s car, and she’ll respect you.

Quote Originally Posted by the210fella View Post
    im not getting any check engine light
    it took almost a month of the idle problem getting slowly worse until my SES light came on.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4G64 */* !!NEW!! 03 Honda CBR F4i
    * a little done -*- more to come *
    My Dual Halo H3 Projector Project

Quote Originally Posted by airborneparainf82 View Post
    it took almost a month of the idle problem getting slowly worse until my SES light came on.

man this is been going on for months now ima replace the coils and egr this weekend and hopefully that works still no check engine light and throttle body has been cleaned

Just cut the power to the G for some minuts and let the ECU reset it self. If that dont work clean the throttlebody or the MAF. My G had some issues a year ago, it got fixed easyli b resting the brain.
    And when u reset the ECU and start it up, let it work for a while. It will program itself after 5-10min. Do not touch an pedals, just let the machine figure it out.