The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Weekend project

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    I4betterthanUR4

Weekend project

Hey everyone, after doing a lot of searching on here and flipping through my haynes manual I need some help. I have two gauges I want to install. The one I need help with is my oil temp sensor. It's the mechanical type and I need to figure out where it goes. I need to make a T-fitting so I can use this sensor and my stock one together but I don't know what threading everything needs to be or where the sensors mount (somewhere on the oil pan?) If anyone can shed any light on this I would be very grateful. Also, where would you recommend connecting the positive of my voltmeter to? I was going to hook it up to the positive of the ignition but someone told me not to cause it won't get a correct reading. Again, thanks for any info.

Edit: It's being installed on my 02 Galant I4

why do you need these gauges?
    its just a bad idea, if you want gauges get some electrical gauges.

I4betterthanUR4
    Eh, why not? Like I said it's a weekend project. They're simple to install I just don't know what thread t-fitting to use. Thanks for the advice but I'm putting them in. As to why, I'm a geek. It's not really for the rice factor (well maybe a little) but i feel it's a good way to keep an eye on what happening under the hood. I plan on going turbo over the summer after my 5spd swap so it'll be worth it.
    Last edited by I4betterthanUR4; 12-09-2008 at 04:04 PM

no it wont, research good products. you will want to get a good electrical gauge.

as for the voltmeter hook it up to the cig lighter.

First off, welcome to TGC. To elaborate on the earlier posts, it's not a very good idea to put a mechanical oil temp gauge in the car. This is simply because in the event of a failure of the gauge or the tubing, you're going to have an interior full of hot oil. An electrical gauge will be much safer and actually easier to connect. Regarding the voltmeter, hook it to any lead in the cabin fuse box that is controlled by the ignition. That way it will only read when the ignition is on. If you want it to read all the time, to see that maybe your battery is charged, hook it in the cabin fusebox to any positive lead that is not controlled by the ignition and is a constant on.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Or your radio can be used as a positive. Thats how my fogs are now.

5-speed 6G72 w/ bolt-ons [sold]
    '93 Nissan 240sx vert

you could get an oil filter sandwich adapter for your gauge. they usually have 2 holes in them. one for oil temp, the other for oil pressure. but yea, get an electrical gauge. last thing you want is HOT oil squirting into your cabin. I guess youll be the first to know if you have an oil leak tho

I4betterthanUR4
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    I guess youll be the first to know if you have an oil leak tho
    lmao, true true. Well, it's oil temp not pressure so no oil is going into the cabin, guys. Just a capillary temp sensor hooked up to a coiled wire to the guage.

I4betterthanUR4
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorlax5506 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't it only come on when the radio is on? I'm pretty familiar with working on the engine but when it comes to the electrical part, I don't like to mess with it.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorlax5506 View Post
    why use the radio as the positive. why not the cigarette lighter?? my factory radio wiring can't even handle the power from my aftermarket unit.

plus if you blow a fuse, you can drive around without the lighter...but i dunno about the radio. i'd need the radio.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    yea get a sandwich adapter... you can get a cheap one from glowshiftgauges.com...makes the install simple clean and reversable.

as for the mechanical gauge i say return it and get an electrical

where do you plan on mounting these as well?

oil wont go into your cabin, mecerey will 8p.

an electrical sensor will be much simpler.

I4, if you need an oil sandwich plate, i have a Greddy one that i never used. i was going to use it for my oil cooler setup but ports were much too small for the lines i had chosen. pm me if you want to take a look at it. it'll go for cheap too since its out of the package.

if you really wanted to you could wire it strait up to the battery and hook a relay up to it.