The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: VR4 vs Evo

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    TGC Regular

VR4 vs Evo

are the evo and vr4 engines the same? they seem to be but i know evo has more horse. what is the diff between the two? just different parts on them? could you replace the vr4 with the evo parts on the vr4 engine and basically have an evo engine in the end?

ken inn
    go to rre(road race engineering)'s site, they will explain a lot. i believe evo 1 and 2 were galant vr4, then 3 on up they changed the platform, and used the smaller lancer(mirage in us) platform, and the engine/trans was changed 180 deg. internally, the early motors are the same. the difference was mainly bigger turbo, bigger injectors, really nice fmic, and waaaay different fuel maps in the ecu. so, lots of people want the evo or rs motors, because of the turbo and injectors, but i dont know of anyone who has actually got it all to work, using the factory ecu. you would basically have to get a full front cut and change over the wiring harness, which is mirror image opposite of the us cars(us-ecu on right, jdm-ecu on left). i have the jdm front mount on my car, but i use the rre piping, which is a bit larger than the jdm one. also, i now use the 2g mas(flows 22% more) and tune with an afc and a logger. the 510cc jdm injectors are not quite enough, so i have gone to 550's(stock is 450), and i am now going to 660's because i will be upping the boost a bit more.

TGC Regular
    so is it possible to use a vr4 engine and just basically make it an evo setup? whats the address for that site u gave?

talontd
    If you really think about it.... evo 123 are pretty much the same engine as the VR4... it's just that it came out of the factory w/ better parts.....

its worlds apart, despite having the same block.

head is totallly different.
    crank is different
    cams are different
    rods are different.
    turbo is different.
    so basically, its different

TGC Regular
    so it is possible to take all the parts from the evo and put it on the vr4 block?

Prolab

its possible but...

Why bother? For the amount of money you shell out for getting the EVO parts, you can get a tough bottom end that can handle a good amount of boost.

But if you got money to burn, why not.

ken inn
    the problem AINT the motor. it's the tuning. a LOT of the hp is in the fuel maps in the ecu. a stock us vr4 is rated at 195hp/205tq @10.5 lbs boost. with NO OTHER mods, you can up the boost to 15 lbs, 1 lb of boost is roughly 10 hp. the fuel system easily handles it, because the car runs so rich. now, with the evo's running bigger turbos, bigger injection, better intercooler, and bigger intercooler pipes, besides other improvements, like cam timing, pistons, etc, and you are over 300 hp. now, if you go bigger turbo/injectors/fuel pump, YOU MUST HAVE FUEL CONTROL, or it will do very little to increasing hp, because the ecu will think you still have the stock stuff on the car. besides the fact that the evo's are now on a smaller platform, the lancer. just go out and get an evo8, some dealers already have them here.