The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: so i got this problem

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

so i got this problem

this weeknd i went to visit my dad in my hometown which is 3 hours away..on the way back home the car felt and sounded good..when i exited to get home i got to the red light and my car felt and sounded like it was gonna die on me..the rpm's went passed 1 and then under it...so then today i got to school opened up my hood and i got a spark plug thing sticking outand my engine is covered in oil.i plugged the dpark plug holder thingy back on and i went to the mechanic... on the way my ses light went on and it really felt like my car shut off i mean i accelerated and my muffler just didnt sound normal somethin like a sputtering sound..he tightened my plugs in the front and tells me it might be my valve cover gaskets...can anyone help??

Replace the gaskets
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

yeah when he was showing me their was oil oozing out and all that lol.thanks greddy

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    that dosent sound like a valve cover hasket sounds more like sparkplug wasnt tighten but check it out for ur self pop the hood look to see if theres any oil coming from anywhere else
    03 I4

your mechanic didn't scan the computer to see what's causing the ses light??

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    your mechanic didn't scan the computer to see what's causing the ses light??
    i forgot to ask him he just seen the spark plug holder sticking out and tightened all my front plugs..it running fine now i think that might be the problem i went to auto zone but they were acting stupid and didnt want to let me borrow the codereader

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_o2 View Post
    that dosent sound like a valve cover hasket sounds more like sparkplug wasnt tighten but check it out for ur self pop the hood look to see if theres any oil coming from anywhere else
    there shouldnt be any oil coming out even if the spark plug did come loose. If so.. Youve got a problem. But yes. Check your spark plug stem gaskets and valve cover gasket. The SES code could have been a misfire from that cylinder because the wire was soaked in oil.. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19 View Post
    there shouldnt be any oil coming out even if the spark plug did come loose. If so.. Youve got a problem. But yes. Check your spark plug stem gaskets and valve cover gasket. The SES code could have been a misfire from that cylinder because the wire was soaked in oil.. Good luck

i checked around the engine and no leaky oil or nothin like that just dried up oil..nothin iz oozing out anymore..that damn ses light bothers me tho haha..but thanks for your help guys

The light will go out when you get it reset and probably not return, But as was said, just because you don't see any oil doesn't mean your stem gaskets aren't bad. It just means oil is leaking into the spark plug cylinders. The entire gasket set for a V6 is under $20. Replace them!
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

so i finally changed my valve gaskets and everything is running fine..white smoke as usual when i start and drovr it around so it could get used to the air quality i guess.everything is good but only thing is my muffler..its not as loud as it was before we changed everything..will the sound come back in time or is their a problem..thx in advance

ps thanx frank fro practically doin all the work lol
    Last edited by 8g831; 01-19-2009 at 06:57 PM