The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: quality strut besides KYB

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

quality strut besides KYB

Can anyone suggest a better quality strut besides a KYB? I have a 2000 V6 Galant lowered with the eibach pro-kit. This is my 2nd ste of KYB struts and they suck!! Now that it's getting cooler they're starting to sqeak when they compress. I've searched everywhere, I think, can anyone advise? Are Monroe shocks/struts pretty good for my set up?

Sparky
    Sparky-

check out my ghostrider by this link-
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399130

Which KYBs have you been using? The GR2s? Or AGXs?

You should be using the AGX's if you haven't been. Monroes I'd say are better, but aren't designed for lowered vehicles.

AGX are great, best strut I've been on in the galant.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

i've been using gr-2's
    Sparky-

when i search for agx, it never indicates it fits my vehicle.
    Sparky-

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    thats why u have to order them for and 3rd gen eclipse wich are the same spec thats used on our cars
    03 I4

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Daddy View Post
    Can anyone suggest a better quality strut besides a KYB? I have a 2000 V6 Galant lowered with the eibach pro-kit. This is my 2nd ste of KYB struts and they suck!! Now that it's getting cooler they're starting to sqeak when they compress. I've searched everywhere, I think, can anyone advise? Are Monroe shocks/struts pretty good for my set up?

Sparky
    you can get Koni yellow inserts for your front shocks. the inserts are pretty common for McPherson type suspension
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I liked the AGX on the street, but from a performance standpoint they were pretty weak. Whenever I went canyon racing, they would overheat, come to a boil, and i'd be left with next to no dampening halfway through a run.

I've heard fantastic things about tokico.
    Especially the illumina's
    By the time you drop the money on Koni's.... you really ought to have bought somemthing else.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    How long were those canyon runs, must've been pretty long to cause them to overheat. I do some running through back roads myself but its only about a 1-2 mile long stretch. They do good for atleast that long.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    agx's re your best bet as far as shocks go...konis really arent worth it since when all is said and done your spending nearly the same as you would for coilovers...the gr2's are more of a stock replacement shock they are good for a while but will crap out eventually...the agx's will last much longer and are designed to handle a mild drop but for any low drop will eventually blow somewhere down the line, although they should last quite some time before that occours

I had tokico illumina 5 way adjustable on my supra at one point, and they were fantastic, but they are also rather expensive. I'm on AGX right now, and I've only managed to overheat them once on a hot dry day on 235 width advans on like a 5 mile run, but for a good balance of everyday comfort and sporty driving, they are good. Or just save up a little more and get coilovers. I'm also on the pro kit, and the #2 setting on the AGX seems to match the eibach spring rates well.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D