The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: TCS & ABS - Can they be disabled?

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    sj420

TCS & ABS - Can they be disabled?

I know I'll get "warned" but I'd like to know. I don't like these babysit features... It's more the traction control than ABS. Anyone?

What ever happened to user choice? Oh that's right, law suits... :x

There's one fuse that controls both. It's in the fusebox under the hood. If you pull it, you'll disable the ABS and TCS. In my opinion, disabling the ABS is almost as stupid as removing your airbags. But to each his own.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Nick VR4

Re: TCS & ABS - Can they be disabled?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sj420)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know I'll get "warned" but I'd like to know. Â*I don't like these babysit features... Â*It's more the traction control than ABS. Â*Anyone?

What ever happened to user choice? Â*Oh that's right, law suits... Â* :x</div>

I wouldnt call them Babysit features either
    More like Life saving features

TGC Regular
    do the 99 de's have abs? dont think we do not sure tough but ive hit my brakes once or twice preety hard and they didnt lock on me...
    - Atba

sj420
    One fuse controls both? That's no good... I don't really mind ABS, but I don't really like that shuttering tcs that just seems poorly implemented.

imho I'd rather blame myself for bad driving than trust a computer to save my life when it comes to vehicle control. If I had a Maranello or something would I want TCS. ABS was a great idea and it was designed for people who were never taught to pump the brakes and drive themselves out of trouble. Believe me, I don't drive carelessly - I'm fully aware of how serious driving is. And sorry for ranting.

Gilhuly
    You will never out brake ABS in an emergency situation. Period.

In the interest of freedon to make the Darwin award in 03 though, you could probably unhook/clip something downstream from the fuse.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>In the interest of freedon to make the Darwin award in 03 though, you could probably unhook/clip something downstream from the fuse.</div>

ROTFLMAO I never thought about a Darwin award candidate

Jay is right. I don't care how much you learned about pumping your brakes, you can't outbrake ABS.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

TGC Regular
    isnt there a switch on some galants to disable tcs w/o affecting abs????
    Your signature is too long.

Senior TGC Member
    Actually you can outbrake ABS in one situation and one situation only: loose surfaces. Repeated testing has shown that both humans and ABS are unable to effectively stop because there's really nothing for the tires to hold onto...without grip it doesn't matter how well you or the computer can brake But that's a technicality or something like that isn't it...we'll let it slide
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Actually you can outbrake ABS in one situation and one situation only: loose surfaces. Repeated testing has shown that both humans and ABS are unable to effectively stop because there's really nothing for the tires to hold onto...without grip it doesn't matter how well you or the computer can brake But that's a technicality or something like that isn't it...we'll let it slide </div>
    a bit incorrect.

you know the reason ABS was created? not to shorten stopping distances, which is almost physically impossible, but rather to be able to steer whilst youre braking.

the ABS system does only one thing.. it allows you to control the vehicle and stop in the shortest distance THAT CONDITIONS WILL ALLOW.
    that means that on ice, you still need 6 times farther to stop.. but you will be able to control it as your stopping.

in regards to the TCL.. its only coming on during wheelspin anyway, so disabling it really would have no benefit. you cant accelerate during wheelspin anyway, so i fail to see the point.
    unless you just want to smoke the tires.

Senior TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>you know the reason ABS was created? Â*not to shorten stopping distances, which is almost physically impossible, but rather to be able to steer whilst youre braking.</div>
    "ABS was first implemented on commercial airliners to help prevent wheel lock, which would render the brakes completely useless. This technology was later adapted to passenger vehicles." I guess we're both right, in a way...
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

i don't think my '99 ES V6 has TCS... i know i have ABS since i've felt it before but i can spin my tires at will in first gear while turning hard.

i believe TCS was first introduced to the 8g galant in 2k.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

BEAST
    If you loose your traction control that isn't gonna really help you any. If your lookin at it from a racing point of view that is. Even though it takes power away from your wheels for a brief period it really does help you in the long run. If your layin rubber down everywhere your not gonna get the traction you need and you're not gonna go anywhere. Therefore your gonna lose. I have beat many manual integras and civics this way. They lay down too much rubber and get left behind off the line.

Senior TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BEAST)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you loose your traction control that isn't gonna really help you any. Â*If your lookin at it from a racing point of view that is. Â*Even though it takes power away from your wheels for a brief period it really does help you in the long run. Â*If your layin rubber down everywhere your not gonna get the traction you need and you're not gonna go anywhere. Â*Therefore your gonna lose. Â*I have beat many manual integras and civics this way. Â*They lay down too much rubber and get left behind off the line.</div>

Aye I agree that's why everyone refers to them as the opposite of ABS...if you're stopping and the tires aren't grabbing it does you no good, if you're trying to launch and your tires are slipping it does you no good...yeesh aren't there any gray areas anymore?

stephen7983
    I believe Traction control is only offered on the GTZ models; however I may be wrong. Like people mentioned above, in a way you have more advantage when you have traction control if you're racing someone off the line. Think about it, your car will put the maximum power to the wheels without spinning making you go somewhere. On the other hand, without traction control you'll have all the power, but there's no use of it if you're just gonna be in the same spot spinning your wheels. You're really not going anywhere. Thus, you lose time right off the line trying to get your wheels to get a grip of the track.

the TCL was first offered for the ES V6 premium, LS and GTZ in 2000...

'00 Patriot Red GTZ --> JDM'ed... 5 Speed... ...

Airbus A320
    I would never disable my ABS if I had it. I have an I4 ES with no abs on it. I have had to slam on my brakes many times. Just yesterday I had to do it on the highway coming from work in the middle of a snow storm and my brakes never locked up and I was still able to control the car very well. Even though Galants without ABS still handle well under emergency conditions I would still keep the ABS on and make a good thing even better.