The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil filter magnets

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Oil filter magnets

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Mitsubishi-3000GT...d=p3286.c0.m14

Sounds like a sound explanation, but will the filings be magnetic?

hmm would have to see someone try it out and see what the after effects look like in the filter.....sounds and looks like it should work..
    Fully Built 4G63
    HKS 272
    ported Dual Ball Bearing FP RED 84mm 25psi w/ external dump

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Is the regular filters you've been using failing you??

Honestly if you're getting metal that is too large to be filtered by a traditional filter than chances are...you're engine is already fucked in some shape or form.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

in this months import tuner they test these solidly and denounce it mythbusters style. they dont work dude, save your money
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    If it's not broke, why fix it.

BMORE the idea is it gets bit too small for the filter, anyhow thought it was worth a look, have a feeling the engine is a non ferrous metal though so wouldnt be magnetic, Prove me wrong

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Well you are wrong. The only metal you would get in your oil is from worn bearings or metal shavings off rods, cam lobes, etc. All of which are traditionally steel and will stick to a magnet..
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I wouldn't buy that stuff, but what about this one? http://filtermag.com/

I have a magnet on my filter. I just went and bought a neodymium magnet from kjmagnetics.com, and slapped it on the bottom of my filter. It's the same thing for a lot less than a so called special "oil filter magnet", and I got some very very fine particles stuck to it when I cut open the filter to check it out. Either way,,,whether it works or not,,it's not going to hurt. Here's the one I got,,,,it's very powerful.
    http://kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DC6PC%2DRED
    Last edited by boochieboy; 10-31-2008 at 12:51 AM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Yeah I just have a magnetic drainplug because when all the oil settles when the car is parked, the particles tend to go to the bottom of the pan. The EVO guys who track their cars have alot of problems with metal in the tranny, I have seen them using these huge very expensive magnets in their trannies to prolong the life.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Yeah I just have a magnetic drainplug because when all the oil settles when the car is parked, the particles tend to go to the bottom of the pan. The EVO guys who track their cars have alot of problems with metal in the tranny, I have seen them using these huge very expensive magnets in their trannies to prolong the life.
    Yup, I was going to say just get a magnetic drain plug. Cheaper and more readily availible.

Yeah,,,,I got a magnetic drain plug also.