The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My $500 8g =)

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

My $500 8g =)

Well this is how the car was when i bought it.

So i got all of the parts for around $500
    And i paid $500 for it.
    My next step is to get the hood painted, windows tinted, spoiler, HID's, Yakima ski rack, and some 18's.

When i was tore everything off.

I bought a AEM dry flow filter off of eBay for $24 and the intake piece to hook it to the maf sensor.

I currently have an alpine deck, and 2 Volfenhag 12's pushed buy a 1000 watt Alpine pdx mono amp.
    Alpine type r 6.5 and Alpine type s 6x9's.

And a Thule ski rack.

M
    Last edited by blasta510; 12-28-2008 at 04:54 PM Reason: update
    My on changing thermostat

2001 Galant ES
    1972 Datsun 510
    1994 Kawasaki zx9r

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Great job. When its painted it'll look like nothing happened.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    That bike was on it when you tore everything off??? Wow! JK, good job.

Experienced TGC Member
    Hey got a question, how hard was it to replace that rad. support? about how many spot welds did you have to drill out and how man did you do when you put it back on? I recently crashed mine and am about to do the same thing.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

I kinda like the look of the flat black hood.
    What would be the effects of leaving the hood primed like that for a while?
    Would the primer scratch easy?

2001 Galant ES
    1972 Datsun 510
    1994 Kawasaki zx9r

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    Hey got a question, how hard was it to replace that rad. support? about how many spot welds did you have to drill out and how man did you do when you put it back on? I recently crashed mine and am about to do the same thing.
    There are a bunch of spot welds. I did a bunch of radiator supports, a few for the Galant.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    It was not too bad, just time consuming, There was alot though, you have to take the fenders off to get to the top spot welds, i did not put on the lower radiator support because mine was not bent so i just drilled out the spot welds on the full radiator support, and just put the upper, then tacked it back on. I had a little trouble getting the fenders aligning again, But there is a lot of bolts that come out when you take the whole front end off like that so make sure you remember where they go.

2001 Galant ES
    1972 Datsun 510
    1994 Kawasaki zx9r

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    nice job
    03 I4

Great jog , hier we can only dream of prices like this... :smt090
    FAST AND SMART ;)

Quote Originally Posted by blasta510 View Post
    What would be the effects of leaving the hood primed like that for a while?
    Would the primer scratch easy?
    I would paint it black if i were you, or use a better grade primer then what came on it. My G's hood, and fender is just like that because i bought my GTZ wrecked and rebuilt it. It looks like shit now because of weather and washing. The primer starts getting chalky and comes off on whatever rubs up againts it.

Oh and it shows anything that leaves a greasy/slick residue. For example BUG guts..lol and tree sap and the spots never go away

Oh and by the way good find, i got my GTZ for $800 with only 67K miles on it. Its great isnt it?
    Last edited by wright06jhs; 11-03-2008 at 06:47 PM
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

nice work!!!

Car is sold, no more G.... Moved on to something a big more sporty.... lol

Thanks,
    I put on my Maf adapter with my AEM Dry flow filter on tonight and, that thing sounds amazing.
    I really did not notice much of a power difference if any, but the sound is amazing! Even with the windows up it sounds amazing, but hanging out of the window sounds even better. ;)

2001 Galant ES
    1972 Datsun 510
    1994 Kawasaki zx9r

Keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by blasta510 View Post
    If you liked the look should have gotten a CF oem style hood

Nothing worse then a aftermarket oem hood replacement on a car unpainted. its tacky. People may think your rocking it as a fake cf looking hood.... ;)

Paint it.
    Accident. Deemed Unfixable. Got a check for it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    looks good, nice work. also, good decision on not replacing the lower tiebar, for one, it really wasnt damaged and 2, typically you want to have the car anchored down with clamps or chains so that if you remove it, the frame rails dont become misaligned. Definetly paint that hood
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

do u live in the middle of nowhere??
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

I was thinking about painting the hood the same color as the car, but a lot of times when you get the paint matched it looks like shit because it is darker or lighter and does not look the exact same.
    I was thinking about painting it gloss black too because it like the look of the black hood, and the flat black primer does not get clean it just gets dirtier over time.
    I really love the look of the white pearl Galants but I will need to wait till after winter to paint it.

What do you think?

I also got a ski rack for my car, as i go snowboarding as much as i can.

I noticed my car runs hot when im driving up mountain passes or on roads that have rolling hills, could it be that i have 4 people, 4 snowboards on the top of the car, and 2 12's in the trunk?
    I was thinking about a mild turbo set up with a 14g turbo. But that will wait till summer when i have more money and a warm garage.

I also got new Alpine ida-xoo1 head unit,Alpine type R door speakers, Alpine type S 6x9's and a Alpine pdx 1000.1 mono amp ;), now awaiting on 2 Alpine type r 12's.

My next mod is snow tires, and floor mats.

Any recommendations?

Ill post pictures sometime this week of everything.

2001 Galant ES
    1972 Datsun 510
    1994 Kawasaki zx9r

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    The hood can be painted and match the rest of the car, just have to go to a good paint shop. Get your cooling system checked when I comes to the car running hot.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

i updated the first post.
    :D

2001 Galant ES
    1972 Datsun 510
    1994 Kawasaki zx9r

Banned
    good deal. geezus