The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: No more new Galants?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 32

No more new Galants?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/03/m...itch-to-small/ says Mitsu may switch production in Normal away from the Galant. What have you guys heard about this?

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    about time

cars they need to keep making in Japan is the Lancer, Galant, and the Colt as Japanese imports into the U.S. Everything else would probabaly survive in the U.S. market as a U.S. product. Especially if Mitsubishi decided to have an SUV big eough with a third row but eficient as well. IMO if they ever stop making Galants, it would probably be one of the biggest mistakes they will make. The Galant has been on Mitsubishis line-up far longer than any other model. So why stop making a car that has been the company's main seller? The Eclipse otherwise, needs to step up its game. Make it AWD or even make it turbo. Whatever they do they need to step-it-up if they want to keep it as a selling product.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    x2
    03 I4

If you check the construction label at the dealership, Lancer, Outlander, and the EVO, is made/assembled 100&#37; from Japan while the 9.5 Galant, 4g Eclipse, and the Endevour is a sorry < 37%.

Wow, it took MMA 4 years to finally figure this out? It took TGC 6 months before the car even came out to the dealership to figure out the car was not a success. 8g 4 life 8)
    Last edited by G-spot; 11-04-2008 at 12:07 AM

They should go Turbo with the New Galants Making like 300+ AWD

galant vr4's

Its all about differentiation, and uniqueness. Mitsubishi has none. Not even the EVO is that much different from the Subaru STI. Or anything else in that category now, everything has Brembo's and Recaro's. They need to reinstitute the Galant VR4. Twin Turbo, 6spd, AWD. That could help show people that Mitsubishi can make higher end cars.

They need a luxury brand like Lexus or Infiniti. They should bring the Proudia or Dignity here.

Quote Originally Posted by XXL4G64 View Post
    They should go Turbo with the New Galants Making like 300+ AWD
    they will never do that with the Galant simply because it will take the spotlight from the EVO. It seems like they are afraid to change direction for some reason. it's not like the direction they are going is a good one. Im just hoping, they dont turn out like toyota. boring line-up.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

20th century Toyota = Badass lineup with good revenue.

21st century Toyota = Boring lineup with good revenue.

But at least they are still making bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    20th century Toyota = Badass lineup with good revenue.

21st century Toyota = Boring lineup with good revenue.

But at least they are still making bucks.
    Because they somehow convinced people that their cars are more reliable than the competition when we all know they aren't. Hell I know a guy who has had three transmissions put in his 2008 Camry. And that isn't the only person who has had problems with the new Camry. Its not that good, neither is Toyota for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Because they somehow convinced people that their cars are more reliable than the competition when we all know they aren't. Hell I know a guy who has had three transmissions put in his 2008 Camry. And that isn't the only person who has had problems with the new Camry. Its not that good, neither is Toyota for that matter.
    I'd have to agree, I hate most toyotas, other than the supras, mr2's, and awd celicas, those cars were just badass.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

they dont need to make some 300 plus horsepower galant just because thats what people like. first of all no one wants to own a fifty thousand dollar galant, theyd spend their money elsewhere. all they would really need to do is make it look better, make a hybrid version like everyone else. mitsubishi has a really bad name, everyone knows it. theyre slowly regaining confidence of buyers but most people still think they are crap. if they can come out with a nice looking galant like they did with the 8g people WILL buy it. coming out with a premium label wouldnt hurt either, mitsubishi is the only japanese car company without a premium label
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    mitsubishi is the only japanese car company without a premium label
    Honda,Subaru and Mazda also don't have "premium" brands. The only reason Lexus and Infiniti exist is because of the US "social status" market. Consumers here in the states will buy something and consider the "brand image" and driving a $40k Toyota doesn't look as good as a $40k Mercedes or BMW. The Lexus brand was strictly marketed as a prestige brand image of high class luxury.

The last time a Galant was truly imported was the 6g's. To be honest, the 6g was a better built car quality wise compared to my 7g and even our 8g. Interior materials, fit and finish and overall how the car was put together just seems more solid. Japanese quality inspection and standards are just better. This goes also for like Toyota that started building some of their cars here in the states. Overall quality isn't as good as a car imported from Japan.

I just think Mitsubishi needs refocus on the Galant....its been their seller for years and years!!! They also need to stop building the Galant to be a better "alternative" to a Accord or Camry and just build the Galant to be just the BETTER car. The automotive industry is changing drastically...especially with the fuel conscious buyers out there that want higher MPG's, but consumers still want a well built and reliable car with performance. Mitsu just needs to build a SOLID car...not just the Galant, but their whole lineup. They are getting better with quality and fit and finish..but it can be better. Their reliability has improved alot too and they need to maintain that.

RedGalant is right in a way that Mitsubishi has to kinda reestablish that excitement into their lineup. I don't think they need to prove they are capable of producing a car with LOTS of performance thanks to their 1st and 2nd gens Eclipses, 3KGT & Galant VR4 models, and the Lancer Evo...actually most of the world Mitsubishi is known for that for the exception of the states as Ralliart exposure is very minimal here. I truly believe that Galant concept of recent is a awsome step to make the Galant stand out from the mundane mid sized cars in the market now. The Accord, Camry, Alitma, and Mazda 6 look good in their own way, but also almost looks the same in shape and look almost alike to higher end cars.

I do believe they should bring the Colt here in the states to be direct compeition to the Scions, Honda Fit, etc etc. Mitsubishi would do good...the Colt looks alot better and its a car with performance and fuel friendly. I do think its a better idea to have the higher priced models in their lineup built in Japan and imported here to the states. In Japan they are built better and you want your higher priced cars in your lineup to have the same quality. The "cheaper" cars would be better built here...since they will be "cheaper" to sell since built and sold here, but they would have to step up the quality on how the assemble the cars in Normal, IL.

Mitsubishi's high priced cars were REALLY good cars but they no longer aren't in their lineup. The Diamante was a awsome car...it was reliable and overall quality was awsome. The bad thing it was up their in price and unfortunately the brand image of Mitsubishi couldn't justifiy a consumer to spend 30k+ on a Mitsubishi. Also the Montero is a awsome SUV...my dad has a 06 and that thing is awsome. Top notch reliability record and build quality is great too and a tranny and drivetrain you can't kill. The demise of the Montero was the price....another close to 40k Mitsu that consumer couldn't justify to spend while you can spend that much on a Lexus SUV.

I just feel that Mitsu needs to stop building a car that is "good enough" and build cars that are "better" than the competitors. Like those stupid new Toyota commercials basically marketing the phrase "Why buy a car that compares to a Toyota.....while you can just buy a Toyota". (I feel that Toyota has been a bit egotistic lately) Mitsubishi needs to stop building a car that is comparible to a competitor....build a car that the competitor has to compare to Mitsubishi.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    its all about surviving now. good plan.

hey 4grim what is acura?
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
    hey 4grim what is acura?
    x2
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Subaru and Mazda don't have premium brands because 1) Subaru had been owned by GM for 15 years, and 2) Mazda is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ford Motor Company. So in actuality they have Lincoln and just in the past year or two Subaru had Cadillac. Subaru is now owned by Fuji Heavy Industries.

So technically the only companies are Subaru and Mitsubishi.

off topic but did you guys see this? I would buy this for the family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast