The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rattling noise, 2004 G.

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    Rocky56

Rattling noise, 2004 G.

Hi, I have a 2004 Galant with a 2.4L engine. Lately it has a rattling noise coming from the engine compartment mainly when idling, it also seems like the idle is too low. Any idea on what could be causing this? It has 45k miles on it also.

Thanks,
    Rocky

What kind of rattling? Can you feel it when you are inside the car? If you can feel this rough idle, It may be an engine mount since that's common in Galant's, but I'm not too sure since yours is a 9G. Hmmm.... What's the car idling at?

Rocky56
    No you can't feel it in the car, you hear it though. The car idles at 500rpm

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    its your damn heatshields. i got mine fixed but it came back after a week.

Rocky56
    To be honest I kind of thought it could be the heat shields, I had a problem with them on my Toyota 4runner. I will check. thanks.

Where can I find out what the idle should be set at, also (this may sound dumb) but where do you adjust it. I have been working on cars for years but can't find any place to adjust on the G.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Well since the new cars have electronic step motor Tbody's now...not sure if there is a BISS screw to adjust the idle anymore. Adjustment is probably ECU controlled...but don't quote me on that.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

I'm not sure on the 9G's but on the 8G it's on the TB.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    MF, i went back to Mitsubishi since i had my first rattle fix there only to find out that there is another heat shield that is making the other rattling. what the frok. i dont think i have anymore heat shields except for the main exhaust header.

payed $55 each visit to remove the metal ish.

on the brighter note, they also found out that my pads are just below the legal specs and my battery is almost dead. not bad for 5 years.
    Last edited by 9G; 02-24-2009 at 10:29 AM

There is a rattle as well coming somewhere in the engine. cant really tell what it is tho. Just gotta live with it.