The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Want To upgrade My Sound System

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Want To upgrade My Sound System

I have an aftermarket Pioneer deck...DEH-P9800BT,the stock 6 spkr Infinity sound,& what looks to be the original 10 disc vertical mount changer in the trunk. Want To upgrade My Sound System, possibly an amp,CD changer,& medium sub.Any brands,sizes,etc recommended? I was told by a Good Guys installer,that I cant have my stock changer connected to an aftermarket deck! Dont really get his reasoning...its just a wire connection,isnt it?
    Last edited by maximus99; 11-10-2008 at 02:09 PM
    '99 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ 3.0V6,black/grey ;'79 Chevy Corvette Coupe SBC 350,red/blk.;'78 Olds Cutlass,SBO 350,blue/beige;1984 Chevy El Camino Conquista

What's your budget for everything total?
    MP3/I pod ready CD deck?
    amp how much watt are you looking around?
    Sub 10",12" 8" 13.7"?

Also what type of music do you listen to?
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

If you have a good budget get JL Audio for amp and subs (10" 1 or 2 pcs). For the seps audition Boston Acoustics PRO.
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT View Post
    What's your budget for everything total?
    MP3/I pod ready CD deck?
    amp how much watt are you looking around?
    Sub 10",12" 8" 13.7"?

Also what type of music do you listen to?
    I like the sound of the stock system,but would like a bit more base.Dont want to spend alot of money,I would guess the amp would be the most $$$. I already have one 8" Sony XS-L82P5 new in the box
    '99 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ 3.0V6,black/grey ;'79 Chevy Corvette Coupe SBC 350,red/blk.;'78 Olds Cutlass,SBO 350,blue/beige;1984 Chevy El Camino Conquista

well in this case i have a 600W pioneer amp for sale
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

Quote Originally Posted by Ruslik View Post
    well in this case i have a 600W pioneer amp for sale
    Right! "whatever floats your boat
    and you dont have to post anymore useless stuff so save your breath you will need it to blow up your date" LOL Just advice...dont think I dont appreciate the offer,but can I trust somebody who flames me for a VET post in Off Topic? LOL

SUB: Sony XS-L82P5 8" Subwoofer with 900 Watts of Peak Power, 220 Watts of RMS

Are you just going to run 1 8" sony? or are you going to pickup another 8"?

Since the sub is a 4-ohm design, you can get more power for the money from a two channel amp that is ran in bridged model. Such as the JL Audio G Series which does 250 RMS X 1 at 4-ohms.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...asp?i=136G2250

And here is a link to the amp wiring kit that this amp requires:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...p?i=211PSK08BI

Along with the needed speaker wire for this set up:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...asp?i=211UCT12

Now if you run 2 sony 8's then you can go with this:

The Kicker 08ZX400.1

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...p?i=2068ZX4001

This Kicker does need a thicker gauge of power and ground cable though. Here is a link to that kit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...p?i=211PSK04RI
    Last edited by IceDouTGaLanT; 11-10-2008 at 02:56 PM
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT View Post
    SUB: Sony XS-L82P5 8" Subwoofer with 900 Watts of Peak Power, 220 Watts of RMS

Are you just going to run 1 8" sony? or are you going to pickup another 8"?

Since the sub is a 4-ohm design, you can get more power for the money from a two channel amp that is ran in bridged model. Such as the JL Audio G Series which does 250 RMS X 1 at 4-ohms.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...asp?i=136G2250

And here is a link to the amp wiring kit that this amp requires:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...p?i=211PSK08BI

Along with the needed speaker wire for this set up:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...asp?i=211UCT12

Now if you run 2 sony 8's then you can go with this:

The Kicker 08ZX400.1

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...p?i=2068ZX4001

This Kicker does need a thicker gauge of power and ground cable though. Here is a link to that kit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...p?i=211PSK04RI
    Thanks,great info! I guess it would sound better with 2-8" subs? And I guess I could build my own enclosures,if Im sure to make them the required size.I went by Good Guys to see about having them hook up the stock vertical mount CD changer in the trunk.It was there when I bought the car.They told me you cant use it with an aftermarket Pioneer deck! I do have 2 other used CD changers now,that were 'donated' from freinds. One is a Pioneer CDX-P670 6-disc,& the other is more elaborate, a Pioneer CDX-FM35,with a seperate FM modulater box & seperate controller
    Last edited by maximus99; 11-10-2008 at 04:42 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Why is anyone helping this a-hole??? Go ask an audio shop.

partyman09
    RE Auido is the way to go. They have subs from 100 each all the way up to 2 grand each. Ive been using them for sub comps for 2 years now and never been disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by partyman09 View Post
    RE Auido is the way to go. They have subs from 100 each all the way up to 2 grand each. Ive been using them for sub comps for 2 years now and never been disappointed.
    Found 'em-> http://reaudio.com/home.html

partyman09
    YEP that would be them

Nice site. Unfortunately,I'm in a serious financial bind rite now,& have to put all the sound system plans on hold.Really PO'd about it too!

I'll give you a reason why you cant use cd changer lol.

It skips when any bass goes through the sub. I had my stock system hooked up through a crappy amp with high inputs and a shitty sub and the changer skipped when even a hint of bass came. I guess just because its so close to the sub.

Quote Originally Posted by starh4x View Post
    I'll give you a reason why you cant use cd changer lol.

It skips when any bass goes through the sub. I had my stock system hooked up through a crappy amp with high inputs and a shitty sub and the changer skipped when even a hint of bass came. I guess just because its so close to the sub.
    Well.that sucks! guess I'll have to rethink this,when I can get it done.Do you still have a spare? I've seen that extra space turned into a good place for the subs or amps

Why don't you just use the CD player in your aftermarket head unit? Is it that hard to change a CD? Who listens to CDs nowadays anyways? Go buy an iPod or MP3 player.

You can run new wires past your factory amp to hook up to your speakers. The connections to the speakers should be under the passenger's seat. It's not too difficult. I put a 4 channel amp under the passenger's seat and connected it to my factory infinity speakers. It sounded really nice. I upgraded the door speakers first.

If you just want some bass for better sound quality, you should be fine with your 8" Sony. Just don't expect much out of it because the power ratings on those things are bloated beyond belief. I would get a 10" or 12" sub and put it in the trunk if you want something nice. Name brand please. Nothing you can buy at Wal-Mart or HEB.

Quote Originally Posted by youngin3 View Post
    Why don't you just use the CD player in your aftermarket head unit? Is it that hard to change a CD? Who listens to CDs nowadays anyways? Go buy an iPod or MP3 player.

You can run new wires past your factory amp to hook up to your speakers. The connections to the speakers should be under the passenger's seat. It's not too difficult. I put a 4 channel amp under the passenger's seat and connected it to my factory infinity speakers. It sounded really nice. I upgraded the door speakers first.

If you just want some bass for better sound quality, you should be fine with your 8" Sony. Just don't expect much out of it because the power ratings on those things are bloated beyond belief. I would get a 10" or 12" sub and put it in the trunk if you want something nice. Name brand please. Nothing you can buy at Wal-Mart or HEB.
    I think youre right.I think a 10" would be good enough. I do have an Ipod,that I have a window mount for.Need to start uploading new music onto it.

The best thing to do as far as buying is to use crutchfield to find what fits, and then get opinions on what would be best and then buy from amazon, prices are usually much cheaper on amazon for almost everything.
    02 Galant GTZ stock
    00 S10 Bagged on 20's Suicide Doors 5 link and control arms, more to come!