The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing and Turbo

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Timing and Turbo

Does anyone have adjustable cam gears on there stock head and are running a turbo? If so i would like to know how much did you retard and di dyou still maintain driveabilty and preformance. I have hear that our cars pull alot of timing so even with cam gear it still wouldnt be enough. I have a SOHC and stock internals pushing 12psi
    Last edited by Boostdgalant; 11-14-2008 at 03:41 PM

what do u have 7g, 8g - SOHC, DOHC?

If youre using stock ECU and internals, and your goal is 200-250hp you dont need adjustable timing gear. You can still get it and play with it, but lets see what other members with turbo cars say
    Last edited by mko; 11-14-2008 at 02:32 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Having a adjustable cam gear on a stock cam will not acheive any improvement in motor performance. A adjustable cam gear is only beneficial with a cam with higher lift qualities compared to a stock camshaft. A performance camshaft has more "lift" room to where a adjustable camshaft would be beneficial change valve lift duration.

A adjustable camgear will only allow you to control valve lift duration....it won't control advancing or retarding your timing since it has no control of ignition timing which controls retarding or advancing timing and also accounts vaccume and fuel mixture.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

you get a lot more function out of adjustable cam gears with DOHC than you do out of SOHC.
    on a sohc the only real beifit is being able to index your cam.

on a dohc you can dial overlap and optimize your power curve.

On a sohc, if you advance it, you you might gain top end, but you lose bottom end(and drivability, and mileage)
    if you retard it, i suppose the opposite could be true.

don't buy a camgear. there is no point. You'd be better to spend that money on a pulley set.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Why do you people run on stock internales when turbo charging a car???Looking for trouble, but a cam gear is only good for when you upgrade the camshaft when turbo charging a car. Also remember when upgrading your cam, its better to also change your valves and springs to performance. Like I say to people before doing anything to your car think ahead, and do it right. Its not a joke when putting a forced induction in your car and not changing the internals. They maybe fine for now but also think later on even when your driving something is going wrong under the hood and you dont even know. My advice man just becareful and keep an eye on your motor unless you dont mind getting anothe motor.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    Why do you people run on stock internales when turbo charging a car???Looking for trouble, but a cam gear is only good for when you upgrade the camshaft when turbo charging a car. Also remember when upgrading your cam, its better to also change your valves and springs to performance. Like I say to people before doing anything to your car think ahead, and do it right. Its not a joke when putting a forced induction in your car and not changing the internals. They maybe fine for now but also think later on even when your driving something is going wrong under the hood and you dont even know. My advice man just becareful and keep an eye on your motor unless you dont mind getting anothe motor.
    There is nothing wrong with adding a F/I setup on a stock internal N/A motor as long as you understand the limits of what the motor can handle. There have been many that have had success turbo'ing a stock internal n/a motor like myself. Mine has gone almost 4 years 30k+ miles with zero issues with the motor and for awhile I was running 12psi w/o a cough from the motor. Currently the car is on 10psi and still running strong. As I get closer to finishing the new motor thats going into my 7g...I will most likely push the motor in it now a bit harder.

Depending how aggressive the camshaft profile is will determine if you need to upgrade your valvetrain in the cylinder head. The more aggressive the came profile..obvisiously you will need to upgrade the valvetrain, but most light to mild profiles cams don't require upgrading the valvetrain.

The real reason that you should upgrade to a more aggressive camshaft is if you are dealing with alot more airflow in the cylinder head when having longer valve lift and close durations is beneficial more powerful combustions. Whether you are running a BIG turbo or have a N/A motor that revs to eternity..more aggressive cams is beneficial.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

94 GS comes with 260/264 cams which is the highest profile cams of DOHC DSM cars. Usually the turbo models come with 252/252, but you cant use their potential with stock ECU anyway, so why upgrade cams with higher duration
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread