The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Headlight restoration

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25
    You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar

Headlight restoration

Well after years I did the initial headlight lens restore I just felt that the old Blue magic plastic polish wasn't getting the results I truly wanted. A few months ago I bought the Mequiars PlastX and there was a noticable improvement in the lens clarity and was happy with it. The only gripe I had is that I had to reapply the stuff every month or so before the lens clarity was degrading.

One my friends thats a detailer for a dealer recommended this 3M stuff as he talks highly of it for headlight lens restoration, scratch removal, and true UV sealer. Its 3M Shine restorer with carnuba wax and for a small bottle its pricey at $10.

I applied the Mequiars PlastX first and high speed buffed it then applied the 3M stuff and my headlights look like they are brand spanking new. :shock: The pics I took don't really do the justice on how the lens look...they are emaculate!

Along with my "cloudy headlights removal" tutorial I wrote...I strongly recommend using these 2 products together for the final touches and you should be very satisfied with the final results.

I will see how long the lens clarity lasts and post updates. I am hoping the clarity will last longer than just using the Meguiars PlastX, as I hope the 3M UV sealant will prolong the lens clarity.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Nice, they look great, I'll vouch for this product, I've used i on both my cars.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

my foglights are pretty bad, you think i could hit them with some 600 grit then 1200 grit, then polish with these?

ive been wondering about this for a while i dont want to ruin my 300 dollar fog lights lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3 View Post
    my foglights are pretty bad, you think i could hit them with some 600 grit then 1200 grit, then polish with these?

ive been wondering about this for a while i dont want to ruin my 300 dollar fog lights lol.
    There is a headlight restoration system that has 300 grit, 600 grit, and 1200 grit, then a fine polishing grit, and buffing compound. I did a set of headlights on my wifes car, and a set of 7G headlights, works great.

But the plastic polish above works great by itself also.

Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish works great aswell. Along with their plastic polish. I usually just use the M&A polish with a buffer leaving a nice shine.

Experienced TGC Member
    I did the sanding method over 2 years ago and they still look brand new.

lor_tek
    I've also used the 3M and that stuff works. I have not used the Meguiar, but from what I see, that stuff is great. I might have to try it out.

wow that looks great, I got to get on some of that the next time in Orlando... Hey G_Rim Check ur PM...
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Nice bro!
    Mikey

97 Galant ES-T 64/63
    97 Eclipse Spyder GS-T

Good how-to

Popular Mechanics had a really good how-to on wet sanding a few months ago.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...o/4252611.html
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD

you can do it whit a 2500 sandpaper and polish, easy

-Mitsubishi Galant LS 1994 a/t [ SOLD ]

ISMASG90
    Watch these guys, you can try their methods for cleaning the headlights. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy_WF5Iei_I

Experienced TGC Member
    the 3m kit is by far the easiest and most effective method. takes about 30 minutes and costs 18 bucks at walley world.

quick question, what if you dont have a polishing tool? so far ive been using Turtle wax's head restoration kit, and it does a great job although Im doing it by hand, and I just press really hard and buff as much as possible.

I sanded mine yesterday using the Turtle wax kit and let me tell you, they look brand new. I think the most important thing about restoring your headlights is the sanding. It took me 4 applications to finally get rid of the yellow that had clouded just one of my headlights (Go figure) but they look brand new. So sand, sand, sand with 4 different grits

Once you're satisfied and they look crystal clear, you apply a sealant (Included in kit) so they wont turn yellow again.

I Look back at this, I can never really tell with 7G heads if it works. To me the lens on them looks like it was designed cloudy. Maybe someone with 8gb heads that are cloudy can try this and post some before and afters.

No one of my headlights is crystal clear like see the bulbs clear but the insides get cloudy so you have to do both sides

PITA
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

They only get cloudy because they are made out of plastic that goes thru heat cycles and gets lots of UV damage. I remember getting two pretty much brand new looking heads from the yard and 6 months later they will start getting cloudy.

No such thing with the glass ones.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

One day I will have said glass ones
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

I guess they just don't make them like they used to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast