The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Axle problem again

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Axle problem again

So, I knew my passenger side axle was shot, so the other night I finally decided to do something about it. I replaced the axle, and while I had the car on stands, I installed ingalls rear camber kit with 4 washers and with the adjustable bolts set to minimum. I went for a test drive, and there was that very loud grinding noise starting at 30mph coming from the front end. I had very little noise with the old axle, because the boots were torn, but damn now is really loud. I didn't get it aligned yet, but this will be done first on Monday morning.

I'm suspecting two things went bad. The front wheels got misaligned, because of the rear camber kit, or the old axle messed up the bearing cuz it was wobbling really bad

Help out guys!

EDIT: It's getting aligned and wheel balanced right now. i'll see what the outcome will be.
    Last edited by mko; 11-16-2008 at 02:50 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

u sure the axle was install correct? i would try and remove and install again, and double check everything
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

i think you did something wrong.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

so, i took everything apart, greased up everything, put it back together, and i could say that the wheel bearing is shot, because of the wobbling that I was lazy to fix. it wore out the bearing to the point that the bearing was trying to keep the axle in position while the axle was going unusually up and down/wobble/ which caused the bearing to follow that movement.I didnt have the time to take a look at it when i replaced the drivers side axle in the summer,so im going to the junkyard tomorrow to pick up a spindle.

Ill post some pics later when i get home.

Im really pissed off to myself cuz ive been lazy, and now I have to spend more money on parts.

Build Thread

dont be too hard on your self, but that always comes from lazyness... happens to the best of us...
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

Axle is out, tranny side

Hub side. you can see the uneven ring on the bearing shield

lots of grease

reassembled

Last edited by mko; 11-16-2008 at 08:21 PM

Build Thread

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    getting those wheel hubs out will be a bitch because they will probably be seized by rust. So here's a suggestion:

tools needed
    14mm (shallow and deep socket preferably), breaker bar, and a good weight hammer
    don't take the bolts out all the way, but instead
    1.back them out about an inch or so, but evenly on all four corners.
    2. Take the hammer and with the deep socket on the bolt, tap the bolt heads forcing them down to flush against the knuckle. Using the socket will save the hex head on the bolt.
    3 repeat the steps again until the hub falls out.
    I've found this the best way to remove the hubs as PB blaster won't do any good. Just remember to do this evenly on all four bolts as not to warp or damage the bearing housing.

so as i finished writing i realized that you had already done the 5 lug conversion and are probably already familiar with this..
    DOAH!! :smt012

oh well, maybe it will help someone else

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice View Post
    getting those wheel hubs out will be a bitch because they will probably be seized by rust. So here's a suggestion:

tools needed
    14mm (shallow and deep socket preferably), breaker bar, and a good weight hammer
    don't take the bolts out all the way, but instead
    1.back them out about an inch or so, but evenly on all four corners.
    2. Take the hammer and with the deep socket on the bolt, tap the bolt heads forcing them down to flush against the knuckle. Using the socket will save the hex head on the bolt.
    3 repeat the steps again until the hub falls out.
    I've found this the best way to remove the hubs as PB blaster won't do any good. Just remember to do this evenly on all four bolts as not to warp or damage the bearing housing.

so as i finished writing i realized that you had already done the 5 lug conversion and are probably already familiar with this..
    DOAH!! :smt012

oh well, maybe it will help someone else
    Thanks for the advice man, I appreciate it!

But, I'll replace the whole spinle, and Im not gonna play with removing the hub. I did it once back in the day when I had the 4 lug setup and i know it was pain. So, Im going to the place where I work on my car and replace that sucker.

Build Thread

All fixed! Installed the spindle and gor it aligned. Bad wheel bearing caused the grinding noise.

Build Thread