The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Will New Aftermarket Shocks Fit With 18" Rims On My 8G?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 29 of 29
    stock diameter (height) for the 8G wheel/tire package is (depending if i4 or v6) is between 24.2"-24.9". when u upsize (increase wheel diameter) you want to keep this total number (wheel + tire) at as close to stock as possible in order to keep the speedometer correct as well as keep clearances and suspension functionality... the width of the tire and wheel can vary but the TOTAL height should remain constant. this is why when you get a larger wheel, you need a shorter tire since as one gets taller the other has to be shorter to compensate.

195/60r15 = 24.2" tall = stock for 8G i4
    205/55r16 = 24.9" tall = stock for 8G v6

225/40r18 = 25.1" tall = perfect total height for 8G (actually bigger than stock)
    245/40r18 = 25.7" tall = 3.5-7% slow speedometer

if you want to keep the width, i suggest:
    245/35r18 = 24.8" tall

of course the wider the tire, the less room for error there is in selecting wheel width and offset to avoid rubbing fenders, suspension (or both). what are the dimensions of the wheels you are running?

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    Also when you lower your car are you going to correct your camber?......... I ran 245/35-19 on the rear of my 8g and I was lowered and no rub at all, BUT I did not have my camber corrected. In the front you run a good chance of rubbing, not just the finder but the inside of the wheel well (can't roll that). How wild are your rims? I know you said you like the wider look but a 235 still looks nice.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

Well I think that it depends on what model car you have to. I have the ES V6 Model and from what I heard that model can support bigger tires as opposed to like a DE 4cyl. I have 3 inches of clearance in the front on my stock springs, the back are a little lower but I think thats just from worn out springs. So if I am getting a 1.8" drop to mabye 2" after a little while that still leaves me with an inch of clearance. Now I will probably rub when I go over bumps but I think a fender roll would fix that. In the end if for some reason I still can't get enough clearance with my tires than I will have to trade them for some 225's mabye :|

Oh, and could someone tell me what type of bumper qnz has? Cause that's the kind I want. It looks really clean.

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar

Old Style VR-4 like mine^^^^^

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

Quote Originally Posted by 2000Galant3.0 View Post
    Well I think that it depends on what model car you have to. I have the ES V6 Model and from what I heard that model can support bigger tires as opposed to like a DE 4cyl. ...
    huh? who told you that? that is wrong. the I4 and V6 have exactly the same suspension parts (except for maybe the springs and sway bars) and the fenders/body parts are interchangeable as well. the only other difference as far as the wheel/tire clearances i know of is the brakes (which won't affect you unless you are trying to fit on 15's). i too have an ESV6 and am currently dropped about 3" on 19x8.5 +48 235/35r19, camber corrected w/ cut rear fenders; no rub.

In EU, the V6 and l4 versions are identical.

Sorry, I was not saying the V6 differs from the i4. I was talking about the trim. Like ES opposed to DE.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000Galant3.0 View Post
    Sorry, I was not saying the V6 differs from the i4. I was talking about the trim. Like ES opposed to DE.
    Still doesn't matter, all Galants are built on the same chassis, with the same components. The only differences are extremely minute if anything, and I've never seen a Galant that couldn't fit your tire and wheel combination at stock height, or even lowered with rolled fenders.

So, to make it easier, our cars are all built the same way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12