The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Does anyone know.......

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Does anyone know.......

how tuff is the 5spd tranny out of the 3g eclipse? i aquired a 03 galant with a bent valve for dirt cheap and am trying to figure out what im going to do with it. wether i pick 4g64/63 combo or just a complete 4g63 i will need to do a 5 spd swap and am just wondering if that tranny is up to the task of putting down 500+hp without blowing up. has anyone had problems with it? I had a big turbo gti once that was ballz, but the trans was a pos and it made me get rid of the car just because it felt like a waste building it any further with a trans that broke at 450hp.

so whats the deal???

we just discussed this a little bit ago.

actually, here:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=34519
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    search some more...and refer to the link provided, however in short the 3g tranny can take a beating. it can handle a lot of power when thrown at it, if your going for 500whp plus it may not be a bad idea to have the gears treated etc but it should hold up pretty well...the only weak link with the 3g tranny is the differential so it is highly reccomended when you do the swap to either upgrade it with a quaife or wavetrac lsd...but if your going for that power then you should upgrade that regardless

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Yeah, the diff is the weak link in these transmissions.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead View Post
    Yeah, the diff is the weak link in these transmissions.
    Yeah just the diff for a 6G series tranny since the input shafts are the same size as the evos. Thus why pumpkin can pretty much deal with the power besides diff. The 4G series trannies(except the evo) have thinner input shafts which are prone to go bad (look at slava on club3g he is putting I believe 503 at the wheels with 4G64dohc but is having issues with his input shafts as well.) The 4G64 input shafts can handle probably up to 350 maybe a little less without fault beyond that stuff starts going wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    Yeah just the diff for a 6G series tranny since the input shafts are the same size as the evos.
    interesting.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    interesting.
    very interesting!!!

http://www.club3g.com/forum/rs-gs/10...warning-5.html link that discusses slavas car and issues