The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2g Eclipse steering wheel on your 7g

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 26
    You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar

2g Eclipse steering wheel on your 7g

As this question has been asked several times on the boards and no real true answer to know if it will work...I chose to go ahead and try it.

There are 2 different 2g steering wheels that you can pick from and install:
    -Regular steering wheel with normal exterior wrap
    -Leather wrapped steering wheel found in some GS-t's, Special edition, and GSX eclipses. (I am sure there is a equivalent to Eagle Talons)

**Make sure when you purchase the 2g airbag unit and steering wheel..MAKE SURE you have the 4 10mm bolts that hold the airbag unit to the steering wheel of the 2g..you will need them**

***I am not responsible in any way for any damages or injuries if the modification is being done.***

This tutorial will have a comparison between the stock 7g steering wheel and 2g steering wheel, comparison of the air bag units, and step by step removal and installation.

Comparison

-Steering wheel-

Here are stock 7g(Right) and 2g(Left) steering wheels side by side. The first noticable thing between the two is that the 2g steering wheel is much lighter compared to the 7g steering wheel.

The 2g steering wheel is generally basic and simple in design. The 7g steering wheel though is a bit more complex in design especially how the horn is operated. The design is unique..but unneccesary to execute the function of a horn. The setup for the horn requires alot more metal pieces to operate thus making the 7g steering much more heavier compared to the 2g. The 2 vertical like brackets with 2 black rubber absorbers are spring loaded and when pressed down makes the contact to operate the horn

This is the 7g cruise control switch. Its bolted down by 3 screws and has a 2 terminal female plug.

This is the 2g cruise control switch. Identical to the 7g cruise control switch with the 2 terminal female plug and same exact bolt pattern as the 7g.

The biggest differences between the 2g and 7g steering wheel is how the horn is operated and the very noticable weight difference.

-Air Bag units-

Besides the air bag units looking different..the only other noticable difference is that the 7g air bag is more "fat" compared to the more "slim" 2g air bag.

Both air bag units have the same identical female plug terminal. The plastic hold down brackets are even the same to keep the male connector secure to the air bag unit.

7g air bag

2g air bag

This is the 7g air bag unit. The 4 white "penis" looking posts surrounding the a/b unit plug are the pieces that press down on the steering wheel to engage the horn.

This is the 2g air bag unit. What engages the horn is in the air bag unit itself. If you find the single connector and follow the wiring, it routes around the a/b unit to both upper left and right posts where the horn contacts are located.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removal and Installation

**Tools you will need**
    -Flat head screw driver
    -T30 Star bit
    -10mm socket
    -17mm socket
    -zip tie x1

** DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY **

--Removal--

1. Position your steering wheel as straight as you can so when you install the new steering wheel your steering wheel position will not be thrown off.

2. On the lower portion of the 7g steering wheel you will see the covers for the air bag unit. The side where the cruise control lever, the cover surrounds the lever.

3. To remove the airbag unit..you must unscrew the star nut. You will need a T30 star nut bit. They are on tight..I would suggest using a socket type bit as you get more leverage and torque to remove.

There is 1 star nut on each side..unscrew both to remove airbag unit.

4. Gently remove the airbag unit till you see the wiring behind it exposed.

5. Use a flathead screwdriver and GENTLY pry the the plug away from the airbag unit while using 1 finger to pull back one of the
    plastic hold down brackets. Once you see the plug release a little..then wiggle the plug off and use the other finger to pull back the other plastic hold down bracket and the plug should pop right now.

6. Now disconnect both the cruise control switch and the single terminal connector. Cut the zip tie used from factory that keeps a part of the wiring from the cruise control switch held down.

7. Get a wrench and a 17mm socket to remove the steering wheel lock nut. (Its on there tight). Your steering colume should lock..if it does then it will be easier for you to remove the nut. For some reason my didn't lock..so a little bit of strength and technique the nut finally came off, but I made sure the steering wheel was in a "straight" position before removing.

8. Once you get the lock nut off...wiggle the steering wheel gently while pulling it towards you. Main thing here is gently and carefully..you don't want to use brute force and suddenly the steering wheel comes off and busts you in the face.

--Installation--

1. Take the 2g wheel and position back on the column shaft the way the 7g was position prior to removal.

2. Screw back on the steering lock nut and torque it down to secure the steering wheel onto the column shaft.

3. Connect the cruise control switch and zip tie the part of the wiring of the cruise control switch like it was done from factory.

4. Get the 2g airbag unit and snap in the plug to the airbag unit and make sure its tight and secure and then connect the single wire for the horn from the airbag unit on the 2g.

5. Gently put the airbag unit into the steering wheel and you may have to reposition the wiring to fit it snug. Now the 2g airbag unit doesn't have 2 star nuts like the 7g holding it down. Instead it has 4 10mm nuts that hold it down and I hope you got them when you purchased your 2g steering wheel and airbag unit.

The finished product I personally used a 2g leather wrapped steering wheel from a 98 GS-t.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3g steering wheel on a 7g

Yes..it will work, but it will require some modification if you do choose to retain cruise control. The 3g Eclipse steering wheel will though bolt onto either a 2g or 7g. If you don't plan to retain your cruise control..then its no issue at all by swapping.

The biggest difference is the cruise control switch and the provisions on the 3g that allow the 3g cruise control switch to work, but will require modifications on the 3g steering wheel to accomodate the 7g/2g cruise control switch.

Here are the steering wheels side by side with the airbag units. The 2g wheel and airbag on the LEFT and 3g wheel and airbag on the RIGHT.

Here are the cruise control switches for comparison. 2g(Left) 3g(Right)
    As you can see the 2g has a good 2 inches of wiring coming from the switch to a 2 terminal plug while the 3g switch is flush within.

This is the terminal plug for the 2g cruise switch.

This is the terminal plug for the 3g cruise switch

The 2g cruise plug is female and the 3g cruise plug is male. Even though the 2g and 3g cruise switches have identical bolt points..the 3g steering wheel doesn't have "space" for the wirings that the 2g cruise switch has unlike the 3g switch.

2g steering wheel

3g steering wheel

A nice amount of metal would have to be cut and trimmed off on the 3g steering wheel to fit the 2g cruise control switch.

As for the airbag unit plug..its identical to the 2g and 7g plugs.

So if you decide to modify the 3g steering wheel so you can use the 2g/7g cruise control or just eliminate the cruise control...you can bolt on a 3g steering wheel to either your 2g or 7g with no problem.

Here is a pic of the 3g steering wheel on a 2g Eclipse.
    Last edited by 4-G-rim; 11-19-2008 at 02:16 PM

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Looking good! Ive had the 2g wheel instsalled for a month now. I was looking for 3g one but I couldnt find one for under $220, so I went with 2g.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

looks awesome Kevin.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

sweet!
    might be somethgin i consider since i can get these wheels for free at the junkyard.

did you take any measurements? my biggest beef with the 7g steering wheel is that the diameter is HUGE.
    takes a lot of hand over hadn in autocross.
    I was hoping to find something around 10% smaller in an effort to improve the ratio.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    sweet!
    might be somethgin i consider since i can get these wheels for free at the junkyard.

did you take any measurements? my biggest beef with the 7g steering wheel is that the diameter is HUGE.
    takes a lot of hand over hadn in autocross.
    I was hoping to find something around 10% smaller in an effort to improve the ratio.

I just took measurements John and the Eclipse steering wheel is only 1mm smaller than the 7g. Nothing significant.
    Last edited by 4-G-rim; 11-19-2008 at 03:49 PM

I'm definatly looking into the 3g wheel.
    I like the ergonomics of it. It looks like a more driver friendly wheel.

Even though my factory GS wheel is already leather wrapped.

I'm been reviewing the tutorial for the evo8 momo wheel in the 2g.
    definatly considering it.......

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

If I find a good deal on a 3g wheel..then I will swap it out, but they are still pricey and haven't found one cheap yet.

I have also considered looking into a Evo 8-9 Momo steering wheel, but those are even more expensive and just can't justify spending what they are going for right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    If I find a good deal on a 3g wheel..then I will swap it out, but they are still pricey and haven't found one cheap yet.

I have also considered looking into a Evo 8-9 Momo steering wheel, but those are even more expensive and just can't justify spending what they are going for right now.
    There's a couple of evo wheels on evom.net going for 100-150 in pretty good shape.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    There's a couple of evo wheels on evom.net going for 100-150 in pretty good shape.
    Thats just the steering wheel prices....with the airbag, the average price is $400.

i presume this means the 3g wheel will drop right into the 8g

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    i presume this means the 3g wheel will drop right into the 8g
    yessir!

how about a 3g wheel on an 02 8g?
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

yeah, the wheels work, I tried one on my car before I decided I like the Nardi wheel better.

cruise control and all? no modss needed?
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

I should have figured this out a long time ago. I mean... .the 8g uses the 7Gb steering wheel.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

yep, it plugs right in.

how much for that 3g wheel with air bag do you think?
    Mods:

Quote Originally Posted by guynlidia2006 View Post
    how much for that 3g wheel with air bag do you think?
    Check club 3G, or ebay, that's your best bet.

on club 3g these go for 220 - 280
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Very nice find!!!... I'll keep a look out, the next time iam at the j-yard.... I really like the way the 2g Gst wheel looks...
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast