The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Sound in Reverse

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Sound in Reverse

To Day When I was Going To Bring My Son To School I Hear A Sound When i Put The Car in Reverse Anybody Tell Me If Something Going Bad in The Tranny Or Motor And It Is Doing It
    Last edited by XXL4G64; 11-26-2008 at 09:47 PM

my car when its not warmed up makes lots of noise when put in reverse. I know a couple members here whose cars do that. Its common.

Need more details!!! i cant tell you what it is when you just say a noise what dose it sound like.?

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

ok, its not something to be worried about unless you get lots of vibration along with the noise. what you are hearing is the gears actually meshing. the reverse gears in alot of cars are not helical, meaning they are straight cut instead of being angled. this causes alot of noise while the gears are engaged and moving. all forward gears are helical to reduce the noise while traveling except in dog boxes and other types of racing transmissions. i could continue but im sure i answered your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    Need more details!!! i cant tell you what it is when you just say a noise what dose it sound like.?
    Like When The PS Pump Is Going Bad But I dont Think I t Is That

Why Do All Your Words Start With Capital Letters?

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    why do u care
    03 I4

xxl, did you even read my post?

no, he didn't like how he never reads other peoples's post on HIS other threads....

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_o2 View Post
    why do u care
    Just think it makes it harder to read!

That sound is the just the gearing in reverse. How fast are you going backwards? I mean reverse always has a whirring noise....nothin out of the ordinary. Unless that aint what you are talking about

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

i wasnt on the gas at all but i let it warm up real good the other day it have not come back

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kildaremike View Post
    Why Do All Your Words Start With Capital Letters?
    cause he's writing in all caps, and when you do that the board edits it down to making the first letter of every word capitalized
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Ok...taking a shot in the dark here. When you were backing up...did you just start the car?

Reason I am saying this is if you just started the motor first thing in the morning...its going to run higher RPM's till it reaches normal operating temps. Well IF you didn't give the motor a chance to warm up and its running at peak warm up and you suddenly put it in gear especially in a A/T car, the engine speed decreases significantly for a short time and enough to make the belts squeal. If you had a similar noise...then thats probably the problem.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Nuh it was like warm up for like 5 mins i would say