The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need you opinions and expertise on mufflers.

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Need you opinions and expertise on mufflers.

Hey everybody. I had a local exhaust shop run some custom 2.5" piping from my cats back. I also bought a dual tip ebay muffler for like $40 and had them weld that on to my custom piping. It cost me about $130 for everything including labor. I am happy with the piping, its is a little to loud for my taste but I am going to have some resonaters installed. The muffler looks great, and it sounds ok, it gives off a pretty deep tone. Mabye I am being to picky but the muffler isn't giving me the sound I am looking for (yes I know I can't expect much from a cheap ebay muffler). Anyways I am looking to buy a little better quality muffler that gives off a mean tone but that doesn't sound quite so deep. I have a v6. If anyone has any sound clips I would defenitely appreciate it if you could post em up. I am thinking about getting a greddy sp2 muffler. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    sp2 is a great choice...the catback sounds similar to like a g35 tone. i actually have the evo2 catback myself which is a bit louder...it was (with no bias being its mine) one of the best sounding exhausts ive heard (now i installed headers so its not as nice)

i would say any of the greddy mufflers will more then suit your needs

tell me this,
    when you say you aren't happy with the sound.... are you speakin from the drivers perspective or the spectator's perspective?

reason I ask is, the way your car sounds to you while you are inside it, and driving it....
    is often nothing like what it sounds like to someone on the sidewalk as you drive by.

I like to let my buddy make a couple passes by me so i can actually hear what it sounds like.(you really can't hear many of the rasps, and harsh tones your exhaust might be making while you are in the car)
    I'll drive my beater on the highway, while my buddy drives my car beside me.
    that way i can hear how it sounds while cruising, while decelerating, while making a wot pass.

I totally get off on it lol. My exhaust note is pure sex.
    With that said, it took a lot of money for me to get it how it is... which is exactly how I want it.
    So........
    Have you actually heard what your car sounds like?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Yes, I have heard what it sounds like outside the car. I had my friend drive it for me. It doesn't sound bad, but it's not giving off the sound I would like. It sounds kinda more like a souped up 4 cyl, and I have a v6 so I would like it to sound like a v6 lol. My brother has a vr4 3000gt and I love the way his stock exhaust sounds. I would think mine should be able to sound similar. I guess I am wanting it to give off more of a growling sound rather than a deep drone. Do you know where I can buy a greddy muffler for my car? Also I would like it to be a dual tip muffler if possible. I am not sure if greddy makes them or not.

dual tip? on the stock bumper?
    that doesnt really work dude... do you have pics?

curious how dual tips would look on a stock rear...

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    qnz has dual tips...looks pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by 2000Galant3.0 View Post
    ... It sounds kinda more like a souped up 4 cyl, and I have a v6 so I would like it to sound like a v6 lol. My brother has a vr4 3000gt and I love the way his stock exhaust sounds. I would think mine should be able to sound similar. ...
    When you compare your sound to that of the Vr4's, keep in mind that you are short of 2 turbos.

Dude the only way to get the sound that you want is to experiment. It's all going to be different and everyone likes a different tone, pitch, look, and performance. I have had four setups on mine. I have the V6 also. Here:

stock 2.25" piping with weld on straight through can: ok

custom 2.5" from the factory cat-back with same can: better

custom 3" with high flow 3" magnaflow cat to 3" turbo N1: beautiful tone/look

Currently: Megan 2.5" cat-back with the megan resonator included but no cat: sounds good, but I will probably go back to the 3" setup

You're going to have to mess around with setups you want to try and spend the money. Thats the only way you will get what you want.

Steve

Member since October '03

Does anyone know if just a magnaflow muffler will produce any 'growling' tones or just a deep drone on the V6? This is with stock exhaust up until the magnaflow.

I might be beating the dead horse but want to make sure; i'm down with a drone :)

5-speed 6G72 w/ bolt-ons [sold]
    '93 Nissan 240sx vert

3" dual tips

Quote Originally Posted by 2000Galant3.0 View Post

3" dual tips
    Oh man who cut your bumper?! Should try to make that a nicer cut...

The shop who installed the muffler cut it. I just haven't had the time to smooth it out yet. It's only real noticeable up close anyways, lol.

recut the bumper to be a 1/2 flat oval (like the turbo 2G eclipses), then have the muffler shop bring the muffler up an inch (or 2). it will look much better.

Good idea. I'll see what I can do.