The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Subs turn off at high base levels in songs.

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Subs turn off at high base levels in songs.

I have 2 volfenhagen 12's in a sealed box, and i only have a kicker zx.300.1 mono amp pushing them.
    When i turn up the gain on my amp it puts the amp in power protection mode for a few seconds then comes back on.
    When i bought my car, i had to jump start it because it was sitting for a few months, and i have not recharged it since, could it be that my battery is to week?
    Thanks
    My on changing thermostat

2001 Galant ES
    1972 Datsun 510
    1994 Kawasaki zx9r

amp goes into protect mode cuz the gain is too high, lower it down and u will b efine

not enough power from battery could be a result too. is your car on when you push it or when you are driving?

What size is your power wire? It should be AT LEAST 4 gauge.

The amp is most likely going into thermal protection due to overloading since I doubt that one amp is enough to push two 12s. And it would drain your battery quickly as well, especially on the stock battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Koncept View Post
    The amp is most likely going into thermal protection due to overloading since I doubt that one amp is enough to push two 12s. And it would drain your battery quickly as well, especially on the stock battery.
    Its a kicker zx 300.1, it can run plenty. I'd bet its lack of proper power wire, it should be 4ga at minimum.

How are the subwoofers wired? I'd check to see how they are hooked up. Making sure they're correct for your amplifier application. If im wrong, correct me fellas thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankv View Post
    How are the subwoofers wired? I'd check to see how they are hooked up. Making sure they're correct for your amplifier application. If im wrong, correct me fellas thanks!
    Check the ohm ratting on the amp and speakers. You have a 1 channel amp. If it's ratted for 4 ohms, each speaker needs to be 2ohms. If your 2 subs combined ohm ratting is higher than the amps ratting, the speakers will not pull the full power your amp can provide. If your subs ratting is lower than your amps ratting, the speakers will try to pull more power than the amp can give, causing it to overheat and shut off till it cools.
    -Well that never happened in the simulations.
    -'94 Galant GS Turbo

The zx300.1 is rated at 150W RMS @ 4 ohms, and each sub is rated at 500 watts @ 4 ohms... So that's why I thought the amp doesn't have enough power. Also, I had some Volfenhag 15s when I was younger with a much more powerful amp. But I agree, it could have a lot to do with how it's wired up.

the power wire is really pretty small its hard to say what gauge it is.
    I would say smaller then an 8.
    thanks for all the help.
    I might look into trying to get a bigger power wire.
    Last edited by blasta510; 12-01-2008 at 09:25 AM

2001 Galant ES
    1972 Datsun 510
    1994 Kawasaki zx9r

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    when you say lower then 8 gauge do u mean thinner? if thats the case light your car on fire

Quote Originally Posted by blasta510 View Post
    the power wire is really pretty small its hard to say what gauge it is.
    I would say lower then an 8.
    thanks for all the help.
    I might look into trying to get a bigger power wire.
    0 gauge is thicker than 4 gauge

the lower the gauge the thicker.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

sorry i meant smaller.

2001 Galant ES
    1972 Datsun 510
    1994 Kawasaki zx9r

sounds like the gain is too high or you need a wire upgrade.

Sounds like a mix of all of the above. Levels on the amp, wiring and you need a stronger amp. You dont want to overpower the subs...but underpowering is a no no as well. Invest in some upgrades..you'll be good! Good luck!

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"