The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Sub Installation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21
    You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar

Sub Installation.

So I just bought 2 sony xlpod and an amp.
    The subs are 1000W each and the amp is 800W
    the subs run a constant 600W so the 800W amp will be perfect.
    I bought it as a package.

My question:
    How hard is the install?
    Should I just do it professionally?
    What kind of wire should I buy/do I need?

Thanks guys.

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    Is it a 2 channel amp? I purchased all my stuff online and had it installed at Circuit City wayyy back in the day. I even bought a wiring kit, so I really could have done it on my own but I was a noob and feared electronics (still kinda do). The wiring though isn't too complicated and now that I look back at it, I probably could've done it myself.

You should use at least 4 gauge wire to power the amp, and be sure to pinpoint a good ground. In the end, with subs, all you have is wiring from the head unit to the amp, wiring from the battery to the amp (with a fuse in between), maybe some other accessories, and then speaker wire to the subs.

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

I believe it is a 2 channel amp.
    On the amp it self, it says "2/1 Channel"
    How do you run the wires from the trunk to the battery and head unit. I'm thinking pro installation would be smarter.
    I have some friends that can do it, but for warrentee I dont really want someone else messing up my stuff.

its really not that hard. but i mean this with absolutely no disrespect, go to a professional. you have a track record of being very "hands on" which is a good thing, but i wouldn't suggest trying to tackle electrical work like this without atleast a basic understanding of how it works. you could conceivably start a fire in your car and it wouldn't end well. take it to a pro, but ask if you can observe. sometimes some of the smaller shops will let you, and you can begin to learn about it so next time you would be confident enough to actually do it yourself
    ...pain is temporary, pride is forever...

I understand how you meant that and with the chance of a fire, well point taken. The streetglow (long gone) was easy to hook up the second time after i had someone with me the first time. with this i guess the pros it is. How much do you think it will cost to have someone else install it?

Go to the pros and get it installed, I fear wiring like the devil, but if you've never done it before, take it to an installer.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Its really easy. Install it yourself, no need or even sense to let someone else install something you can do easily.

The hardest thing is taking the panels off to run the wires, but other than than its easy. Let me know if you decide to do it yourself.

Alright, thanks for the opinions guys. I thought maybe it would be easy with some instructions or something but I don't want to mess with the chance of fire.

EDIT: Dave, I could do it my self if I knew or had step by step on a how to.
    I will have my cousin with me who helped with the Streetglow the first time. I don't think he has done a system before but it is better to have someone arround. If I can save the extra money AND do it right, then I would love to learn to do it my self.

**NOTE** DO NOT INSTALL THE POWER WIRE FUSE UNTIL EVERYTHING ELSE IS WIRED, TIGHT, AND PROPERLY GROUNDED OR INSTALLED. ***

You should be able to have it installed in a little over 1 hour, 2 at the most even for a novice/beginner installer. You should get a 4 gauge amplifier installation kit (which you'd have to buy if someone installed it anyways). That will include a remote wire, about 20ft of 4 ga power wire, a fuse block, about 4ft of 4ga ground wire, about 20 of RCA cables, and a fuse. The kit should also come with either preconnected, or at least 4ga wire connectors for the ground and power cables. You will need these at the end.

Here are a few pictures of where the power wire needs to go:

From the engine bay:

From the interior:

Make sure when you drill the hole for the power wire that you do so from the interior to the engine bay. That simply ensures that you do hit anything important, and since there is nothing vital on the engine bay side when doing this install.

Next you need to remove the driver side door sills and front kick panel. Don't worry its easy, they just pop off (with the kick panel having a small plastic screw) with the same push clips as the interior trim. Do the same on the rear door. Then the rear seat needs to be removed. Its easy, and all you really need to do is take off the bottom of the seat. But if you want the seatback only has like 4 bolts holding it in.

Take the seat out if you want, but you can easily slide the wire through underneath the carpet to the trunk. If you have a aftermarket headunit you can run the remote wire from it at this time to the amp, using the same path the power wire has. If not than you need a turn on source. I always used the cigarette lighter fuse. The turnon lead only needs minimal power and is more than covered by that fuse.

At this point also if you have a aftermarket headunit you need to run the RCA (signal) cables. I would run these on the passenger side of the car. Keep them away or insulated from the power wire to reduce ground loop distortion (eliminates alternator whine coming through the speakers). Simply connect the RCA to the headunit, then to the amp. Pay attention to the inputs on the headunit, some have a specific 'sub-out' connection.

The 'sub-out' allows for the subs to operate without being affected by the balance and fade of your audio system. At this point everything should be installed EXCEPT the ground wire. You should not have put the seat or panels back at this point either. You need to ensure your wiring is good, and you can still quickly correct things without having to remove everything all over again.

The ground wire needs to be as short as possible. In the trunk remove the side carpet panels, closest to the wheel wells. This should give you access to a good spot to ground the amp. That or you can use one of the bolts under the rear seat. Personally I'd ground the amp in the trunk, but its up to you. Just make sure the area can get good contact, and is preferably free from paint or anything that can inhibit the connection.

Now at this point you can strip the ground wire connecting it to the amp, and the ground source. Strip the power wire connecting it to the fuse block, battery, and amplifier. Connect the remote turn on to the amp, and either the aftermarket radio remote wire (if you have a aftermarket radio), or the cigarette lighter fuse if you don't.

Now you can test if when you turn on the car the amp turns on also. If not you can solve it here. Lastly turn the car back off, connect the RCAs to the radio (if applicable), a MITAH adapter, or a high-level input. But I will need to know if you have a aftermarket radio or not to finish instruction.

After things are installed you can test and adjust to your liking. My recommendation NEVER turn the amplifier gain above 75%...EVER. Even if you want more bass, fight that urge, because it will save your speakers, and amp.

Do you have a aftermarket radio?

Yea i have a pioneer and thanks for the write up, im going to read it carefully a few times and as i do it. weather temp doesnt matter right? might be a stupid question but you never know

Nope. Weather temp doesn't matter. At least not with the equipent. Cold weather makes numb fingers though, and that's not good. lol
    -Well that never happened in the simulations.
    -'94 Galant GS Turbo

Should be a fairly easy install, just a matter of running power/ground to the amp, wire to the HU, RCA cables, and then finishing up in the trunk.

Like others have mentioned, hardest part will actually probably be removing panels and running the wire from the battery/HU to the amp.

Might be worth it to call around and get some prices, especially if it is going to take you some time to do it.

Thanks for all the info guys, I can't wait to get it done but I'm not going to rush either.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    yeah the package you got was our black friday special. i had 4 of the first customers that came through the door come straight to me wanting this deal. it was a good package for the price, but i know it doesn't put the wattage it says.

so what does that mean? is it a good system or not? i dont want a huge watt system but it was a good deal. I'm not looking to blast it like crazy or anything. just use it all the time but not to the max.

like i said it's a good deal for the price. the amp is a lil under powered for those subs. it's a 250 watt rms amp for 400 watt rms (total for both subs). for $179, it's fine for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    **NOTE** DO NOT INSTALL THE POWER WIRE FUSE UNTIL EVERYTHING ELSE IS WIRED, TIGHT, AND PROPERLY GROUNDED OR INSTALLED. ***

From the engine bay:

From the interior:
    That would suck for anyone planning to do the 5-speed swap.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Am I the only one that loves wiring and electronics in cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    Am I the only one that loves wiring and electronics in cars?
    no, i am a car audio installer myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    That would suck for anyone planning to do the 5-speed swap.
    that's when you just relocate the wire else where through the firewall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast