The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HELP!!! Distributor cap

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    creativ73

HELP!!! Distributor cap

I took my car in because the distributor cap is cracked and needs to be replaced. I'm out of warranty on it, so I'll have to pay for it. I am wondering how difficult it would be to repair it myself? Can I order the part through a parts store or only Mitsu.? They are saying around $200 installed.

Nick VR4
    If its cracked no you can't repair it

You might want to phone up your local car parts store or pep boys etc
    just in case they stock them

Good luck

have u gotten a qutoe from like a local mechanic that u trust? u could save some money there. hell, u can still use the mitsu part if u don't wanna go searching thru pep boys and other parts stores...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

creativ73
    Okay, yeah I knew I would need to replace it. I am just wondering how easy it is to do myself. It seems pretty simple.

You must have an I-4, and if so, it is really simple. If you have a V6, you're looking at removing the intake plenum to replace the distributor cap. If it's an I-4 $200 is crazy....for a V6, that's not too far off.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

BlueESV6
    I haven't looked for it on our engines so I'm speaking from past engines... but $200 seems like a rip off for a plastic piece....

I'd call a local parts place and the dealer and get the price of that part and then consider doing it yourself. Heck, autozone or somewhere may even help you. It should not be that difficult...

Good Luck

BlankMan
    I thought the 8g's were distributor-less? :puzzled1:

J

creativ73
    Hmmm, it's a V-6. The cost for the part is $120, I think and around &60 for labor. It's not available thru a parts store, only from a dealer. I think I can save the $60 and install it myself. I don't think there's any trick to putting a new one on.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(creativ73)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hmmm, it's a V-6. The cost for the part is $120, I think and around &60 for labor. It's not available thru a parts store, only from a dealer. I think I can save the $60 and install it myself. I don't think there's any trick to putting a new one on.</div>
    Read my post above. You're gonna have to remove the intake plenum. That's no easy task, but there's a tutorial on it in the tutorials section.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

you dont have to take off the plenum.. you DO have to take out the battery, though.
    either way, its a bitch.

BlueESV6
    $120 for the cap!!???? :shock: That really sucks!

How did yours crack? I sure hope I don't have to replace that!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>you dont have to take off the plenum.. you DO have to take out the battery, though.
    either way, its a bitch.</div>

You need to remove the air intake too

'00 Patriot Red GTZ --> JDM'ed... 5 Speed... ...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>I thought the 8g's were distributor-less? Â* :puzzled1: Â*

J</div>

the i4's are. the v6's aren't

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HondaKillerGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>you dont have to take off the plenum.. you DO have to take out the battery, though.
    either way, its a bitch.</div>

You need to remove the air intake too</div>
    NOPE!.. not if you have...
    the TOOLS!