The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Balance Shaft Belt.....Again

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 64

Balance Shaft Belt.....Again

so a few months ago my bshaft belt broke while running and threw timing off sync, broke timing sensor and almost broke timing belt. i replaced it all and ran good for a few months then, it did the same all over again. so this time i want to get rid of the bshaft belt. so do i need to buy some specific parts? or just remove belt and bshaft belt sproket or something? any help would be appreciated.

for the front you just ditch the belt. nothing else needed.
    for the rear, you have to take the oil pump case off and replaxe the rear balance shaft with a 1.6l stuby shaft. ONLY USE THE OEM MITSU SHAFT.
    You can find it at Slowboyracing.com for about 12 bucks.
    thats all you need.
    check VFAQ.com for the balance shaft elimination tutorial.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

thanks a lot for the info. would you recomend replacing any other parts while in the process?

will this kit work on a 4g64? http://www.slowboyracing.com/sbs/sbr...060&bestseller
    Last edited by Joker96; 12-07-2008 at 10:16 PM

Yes, timing belt, tensioner, tensioner bearing, idler bearing
    USE A NEW OEM OIL PUMP GASKET SET (also called front case)
    Don't use the felpro or I can promise you will have leaks sooner or later

Also, since you have to take your oil pan off to do this service, make sure you have some Permatex Ultra Grey RTV silicone. Or you can use the OEM mitsu sealant(nothing is better)
    but DO NOT use an Oil pan gasket(it will leak, and Mitsu doesn't make one because the silicone is OEM)

While under the car since more than likely you'll have to drop your downpipe to get the oil pan off, you might want to have some new exhaust gaskets handy.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

seems like a lot of work, but i will try it. i cant find the 1.6l stubby shaft. got any part #???

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Correct sir.
    7g for life!

its really not hard. If you've done your timing belt before, then there is no reason you can't do this. Its only a few more steps.
    Just think.... You'll gain HP, and rev quicker!!!
    and best of course is no more worries of failing balance shaft belts.
    and since you are removing the rear balance shaft from the equstion... that means you don't have to worry about phasing the oil pump sprocket anymore.
    Which of course means you can do timing belts much quicker.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

awesome. i will try do this tomorrow. is there any other way naming that stubby shaft?? i dont want to wait for it to arrive. what part should i ask for at the auto part?

and just to be sure this is the tutorial http://www.vfaq.com/mods/balance-shafts.html
    Last edited by Joker96; 12-08-2008 at 12:15 AM

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Rear Balance Shaft Bearing - MD040597
    Front Balance Shaft Bearing - MD103722
    Balance Shaft Cap - MD092785
    Balance Shaft Stub - MD098626

Front BS Bearing and BS shaft cup are only needed if you pull out the front balance shaft, which isnt neccessary.
    7g for life!

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE OEM SHAFT
    aftermarket ones do not have the oiling groove

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Any reputable company like AMS, RRE, etc etc that specialize more towards DSM/Mitsu will usually have a balance shaft eliminator kit with all OEM parts usually off a Mirage.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

If you aren't taking the motor from the car, I'd jsut the same leave the front shaft in. Makes it a lot easier.
    then you only need one part. the stubby shaft.
    and of course a lower front gasket set.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

so ill get the gasket set, plus the stubby thing. ill try going to an auto parts with that part number and be sure that they give me an oem one. then i will start taking apart the engine. i wont take the motor out that would be impossible for me lol. I have been reading that tutorial for a 2g on how to perform this so since 4g63 are quite similar to 4g64,i hope all works out

dude....

i'm telling you. I won't say it again. If you use an aftermarket (like Felpro) gasket set...
    You are going to have leaks. I bought it, and its such thin crappy construction paper.
    The OEM gasket set is LIGHTYEARS beyond it.
    I can promise you an autoparts store won't have your stubby shaft in stock.
    They'll have to order it. So might as well go to the dealer, the stubby costs about $12 there and you can get the gasket at the same time., or just order it from Slowboy.

Follow the tutorial to the T, short of setting the cam timing, the procedure is identical

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

oem everything then lol. and also some permatex silicone for oil pan. i changed my timing belt last time b shaft belt broke not even 1k miles ago. and hydraulic tensioner and the other tensioner the blue one not even 5k miles ago when i changed water pump. do u think i still should get em new?
    any idea where i can get those oem front case gaskets i need? tried ebay and slow boy and found this http://www.slowboyracing.com/sbs/sbr...at=1063&page=1 not sure if thats what i need. gosh am such a noob
    Last edited by Joker96; 12-09-2008 at 10:07 PM

if your bearings, belt and tensioner are up to par, then no need to replace them.

why can't you just go to the dealer?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i dont know where is one
    the stock balance shaft is longer than the stubby right?
    Last edited by Joker96; 12-10-2008 at 08:15 AM

ok i bought the oem stubby oem bearing and a eom front gasket also bought some silicone and i hope to get done with it in the next couple of days. the gasket i bought is ins oem sort of bluish color no package just the gasket i asked guy at dealer said that those are oem and the aftermarket ones are like grey in color so i hope he was telling the truth.

well ive been trying to get this done but i havent had the time to.i got stuck removing the oil pan, theres a bolt just too close to the axle i cant fit any wrench there, so am guessing i have to remove the axle. i tried lifting the engine a bit but didnt work. does someone have an idea besides removing the axle?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast