The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Balance Shaft Belt.....Again

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 64
    TGC Regular
    In the 3rd picture.. The lifter on the left is installed correctly... That way the oil can get through...

Quote Originally Posted by Joker96 View Post
    and how do i know if i am having oil pressure after the balance shaft removal?

usually the oil pressure rises after balance shaft removal, but you have to get the two front balance shaft bearings out and then put them back in with the oil holes mismatched
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

i just removed the shaft on the oil pump and replaced it with oem stubby. Is that enough?

TGC Regular
    Lookj in thew tutorial section there should be one there for it.. I havent done it yet soo im not sure...

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker96 View Post
    i just removed the shaft on the oil pump and replaced it with oem stubby. Is that enough?
    That is fine, then you just dont use a BS belt and leave the front shaft in. A lot of people do it this way because it is a pain to remove the front shaft with the engine in the car.
    7g for life!

should i replace gaskets? When putting back the head?

Headgasket and headstuds.
    7g for life!

bolts and studs are the same thing right???? lol sorry for the noob question am not into this kind of stuff

Bolts and studs are no the same. They do the same job, but arent the same part. I should have said headbolts, as factory, they are bolts. You can get headstuds, but they are more expensive and are for high boost applications.

So, headgasket and headbolts :P
    7g for life!

awesome thanks, i saw the gasket for 10 on ebay and bolts for 22.

Galants '98 have 124 teeth timing belts , right?

do i really need to replace bolts? I already got the gasket set, ut cant find the bolts anywhere, and on the local auto parts are at 6 each. How important is to replace these?

Yes, factory bolts are strech to torque. Once they are torqued, they will no longer be able to torque to spec.
    7g for life!

oh ic where can i get them?

where can i buy these bolts?

Dealer is your best bet
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

yeah go to the dealer. I wouldn't trust chain parts stores as far as fastener quality goes.

If you want a set of studs that will last, and can be re torqued over and over again...
    Get a set of ARP studs.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

So I'm having a similar problem. I'm currently replacing water pump and noticed the balance shaft belt was broken and 75% of the teeth are flat. Reading through this thread I noticed we really don't need to have that belt??? My car has been running fine all this time. I assume the belt has been broken for a long time, judging how the teeth are worn out. (I'll post pics later.) Another question is, I'm going to replace the timing belt since it has some surface cracks and has had coolant leaking on it- what else do I need to replace?

Replace:
    -Auto tensioner: http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/product332.html
    -Tbelt Tensioner Pulley & Idler Pulley: http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/product1472.html

You dont need the balance shaft belt, but if you decide not to put it on, you will need to do the rear balance shaft delete. The car will run much smoother if you do the delete, then if you just remove the belt. There is a balance shaft in the front and back of the motor. The front runs off the balance shaft belt, the rear runs off the oil pump sprocket. If you remove the balance shaft belt, and dont do the delete, you will notice more vibration from the motor as the rear shaft is spinning without anything to counteract it.

Balance Shaft Delete:http://www.extremepsi.com/store/cust...cat=865&page=1

You will have to remove the front oil pump cover, so you will need a new gasket too(I think 4g63 and 4g64 gaskets are the same?): http://www.extremepsi.com/store/cust...cat=744&page=1

Good luck!
    7g for life!

Since I'm short on time and budget, I wont be doing the Balance shaft delete, the kit is an additional cost. I was planning on purchasing the OEM timing belt which costs around 65 bucks, but that kit from Preferred Components at PartsDinousar.com seems favorable. Is it reliable??? Or, how about the higher priced belts at O'Reilly's?
    Last edited by EL Galán; 11-09-2009 at 12:00 PM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast