The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: shaking

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar

shaking

having a problem over the last few days. my car suddenly starts shaking a bit when accelerating.

for a little backround i adjusted my megan coilovers a bit about 2 weeks ago had to retighten some of the locks and i lowered it just a little more then it was. it was driving fine for a few days and while on a trip is seemed out of nowhere to just start shaking.

now i knew i had a busted motor mount in the rear and i replaced that yesterday but it is still doing it although it seems to be a little less harsh. however i have had the busted motor mount for a while and it was never that bad before...even with the new one it is still doing it more then it used to.

if you are unaware my car is a manual and the vibrating seems to be the most noticable when accelerating in 2nd gear however it does it in all of them just the most violent it seems in 2nd. when i let off the gas however it seems to stop shaking

also i havent thouroghly checked them out however visually my axles look fine if that were to come up for concern

any advice would be appreciated.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    you're too low. thats whats causing the vibration. lift it up and see if its still there.

i did set the spring setting a bit lower then i had it but like i said it was fine for a few days and then suddenly started to happen?

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Check the Axles.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Craig does it only happen under acceleration? Try getting to lets say 25mph in second and make it shake, then shift 3rd but when in 3rd dont increase speed, stay at 25mph, see if its still there.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

yea pretty much only while accelerating...i will try that later and let you know brian

yeah, i still think you're too low that your axles are causing the vibration.

you know it may be... just seems strange it was going fine and then halfway to my destination it started

went out and drove it for a few...i hear a slight squeeking/ rattleing from the pass side as the suspension shifts a bit...i doint hear it while its vibrating but right before it does

i did what you said also brian...seems to be the most "violent"from about 30-45 mph first seems to be ok although i usually shift at about 4k and thats about 15-20 mph...second was when it really started and i stayed at about 30 and shifted to 3rd and then 4th at the same speed and the vibration was the same...stayed there till i was like above 45 and then seemed to even out a bit...i tried over 45 in 3rd as well as 4th...and it only seems noticable under acceleration...if i let off the gas it seems that the vibrating subsides

also i reved up the engine in idle and there is no shaking at all only when moving...brought it up to about 5k and ack down a few times while in neutral

its been way too cold out and i have been working a lot the past few weeks...yesterday i had to fight myself to do the damn motor mount since the weather was somewhat decent but about halfway through it was dropping in temp again

what im thinking is maybee i set the spring perch a little too loose? when i did it the spring had no play but wasnt extremely compressed either [megans adjust at 2 points the strut itself and the spring] also the srtut has lways been at its lowest setting so that didnt change...i have had problems with the megans before where they loosened themselves up however it was always the strut pirch not at the spring...i did check them though and all seemed fine or at least tight at both the strut as well as the spring
    i will put it to my previous setting when i get a chance hopefully tomorrow or tues but other then the suspension...is there anything else i should check
    Last edited by fatal1; 12-13-2008 at 01:39 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    nah I dont think its the spring perch, because why would that vary based on speed. Im going with 9g on the axle issue. Plus your V6 and its the passenger side, isnt that where that axle "carrier" type part is where the axle joins up with the half shaft. I think there might even be a bearing in that thing
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

thanks brian.. and 9g..it would make sense... i will adjust the suspension when i get a chance as i said within the next few days...it seems the vibraton is there slightly but not as strong at other speeds. sorry if i didnt clarify that...i really hope its not the axle...not cheap and the damn concrete is way too cold to lay on lmao

hmm oddly enough i adjusted the suspension a bit and it remedied the problem...thanks again guys

good job. i have this vibration too but the low look pays for it. lol

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Same here..

not sure it was strange i raised it only a 1/8". the sping did have some play since i hav the struts on the lowest thread. so last time i adjusted them i lowered the spring perches a little and it had a little loosness to them so i just raised it till it tightened a bt more, im still low. 1 and a little more finger gap all around...