The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A/C problem

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

A/C problem

Hi Guys, any help appreciated. For the last week or so any time I turn on the air conditioning the air coming out has a weird smell, like a kind of stagnant smell, and it seems to be almost moist coming into the car. After a few minutes the side windows are steaming up and I have to keep the drivers window slightly down to clear the inside. Any ideas?.

Smell...cabin air filter issue?
    Accident. Deemed Unfixable. Got a check for it.

Mould on the evaporator coil, seems to be a common problem with Galants. Get some Lysol Spray, turn on the A/C on high, get out and spray the Lysol in the intake vent just below the wipers. This will help your problem for a little while but the mould/bacteria would build back up. I had the same problem until my cousin sprayed something that they use on Mercedes and the smell has been gone for a while and not came back. I will post it up if I find out wht it is.

I dont know if we have lysol over here. Will any disinfectant spray do and how much should I spray into the vents.

Is there any water on the floorboard or like a shhwishing sound when you go around a corner?

Had a similar problem, some of the radiator coolant leaked or spilled out, still dont know how but the level is holding steady, it gave a weird musty slightly sweet smell, does this sound similar?

No water in car or swishing around. Its more like a mouldy smell but the air coming in seems moist. If you dont turn up the fan all the windows mist up and if you come back 20 minutes after parking it all the windows have heavy condensation on the inside. I have to have to rear screen heater on all the time or else condensation forms on it.

Sorry i really cant help the only time i had sum thing like that happen was when the drain plug was clogged. There would be water all on the dash cause of condensation. but the water would also pour out on the floorboard.

i had dealer do ac deoderizing for like 50-60$

Sounds like a heater core leak. Likely the o-ring seals on the pipes/hoses at the heater core have collapsed. There are a few products you can add to your system to help if the leak is small, but since it is fogging up your windows that quick it is way too big of a leak for those products to make any difference. They're not really good for the car anyways though.
    The good news: You can fix it yourself.
    The bad news: It can be a real pain to get to your heater core. I have heard of people accessing it on Galants by removing the glove box. If you can do it that way, it's much easier than the traditional method.
    The worse news: Here in the U.S. (at least where I'm at), a shop or the car dealer will charge between $700. - $900. to repair it. The parts are only a few dollars, so repair it yourself if at all possible.
    -Well that never happened in the simulations.
    -'94 Galant GS Turbo