The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Axles and TB

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar

Axles and TB

Hey guys just a quick question, Im almost done with the build and just thought about the axles and tranny. My goal is to hit 350 hp, but im a little worried about my tranny and axles. Will they be ok? Also as far as the TB goes, im not thinking on doing this b/c Im not sure if its nessasary to change the TB from the 4cyl to the 6cyl or if anybody would know that I should do this or not. If staying with the 4cyl TB will I still hit 350 hp?

Thanx guys

are you still automatic?

Yes

transmission probably wont hold up at all if ur planning for 350hp

I was thinking of either getting engine rebuilt or later on getting a 5 speed swap just dont know what tranny to use from to put into my 2002 galant. What do you think would be best?

5spd swap information is posted many times on this forum, just search (or check the tutorial section for the swap and you will find the info u need) just rememeber 02-03 cars require a speed sensor rewire and you will have have a CEL, all info is covered in that thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    worry about the tranny, the axles will be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Would anybody know if its posible that I can just rebuild the auto I have, or should I swap to 5 speed. I dont know much about trannys at all. I been surching all over and seen nothing. Would anybody know what year tranny from an eclipse would fit and would it have to be form a turbo eclipse or just a 5 speed?
    Please someone help:(

rebuilding the auto is a waste of time, do the 5spd swap, u'll be a happier person in the end

Would you know what tranny I would have to get? I found 98,99 turbo tranny, or would I have to get just a 5 speed and from what year?

From a 3G Eclipse, 2000-2005. If you have a 4G64 (2.4), you need to get a 5-speed transmission from an Eclipse with the same motor.

Thank you very much. But I do have one questions does anybody know whats the difference between an automatic tranny and a 5-speed when it comes to putting more HP? Why cant the auto take the power but the 5-speed can?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    Thank you very much. But I do have one questions does anybody know whats the difference between an automatic tranny and a 5-speed when it comes to putting more HP? Why cant the auto take the power but the 5-speed can?
    because its built like shit from mitsu

the trannies break on stock power over time. its just not made for that

also, to make the 5 speed hold high HP over a long period, you will want to get a LSD. Look in the 8g performance section, there is a whole 5 speed swap thread, you cant miss it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    Read this:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/sear...earchid=314220

The only transmissions made for power from Mitsubishi are those found in the Evolution and some VR-4 models.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    You have a lot to read up on before you make 350...

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    as said for the tranny to be rebuilt it will be expensive, and while not neccisarily a waste of time for that hp the 5 spd will definately be more satisfying and responsive. the 5 spds are actually built fairly well the only weak point as stewi said is the differential. swapping to a lsd is proven to hold over time. it will also benefit in getting power to the wheels and for traction as well...obviously you would need a clutch upgrade as well for that hp

for the tb if that is a concern, your better off getting hold of an outlander intake manifold and tb. not only is it better made but it is larger...if you decided to you could always do a pp job on it

Whats a pp job?

Banned
    port & polish