The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Clutch Pedal, Master, Slave Problem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 49
    TGC Regular

Clutch Pedal, Master, Slave Problem

I don't know what the problem is, I bled the hydro twice. As soon as I bleed the system the clutch pedal is firm, but a few minutes later its back mushy. The hydro system is not leaking cause the fluid reservoir doesn't move. Any ideas?

could be a bad slave

if the slave was bad then it would be leaking out the slave. You can try pulling back the boot on the slave cylinder. should be nice and dry inside of it.

To me sounds like the seals in your master have gone bad.
    Probably need a new master, and might as well get a stainless clutch line if you don't already have one.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

TGC Regular
    I think the slave is good, the chitlon manual said squeeze the boot to see if any fluid would come out. I did that and boot was dry. Would a different fluid cause the problem?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Should only use brake fluid. If its not leaking anywhere, if your not losing fluid in the resevoir, its a bad master.
    7g for life!

TGC Regular
    Thanks, I will be hitting the pull a part tomorrow.

i personally would never use a used master or slave cylinder

TGC Regular
    I found two junkyards that have one near me, I also ordered one from autozone just in case either one of the others is bad.

NEVER use a used master or slave.
    It will fail sooner than later.
    Trust me on this.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I concur with the above. Skip the used, go for the new!
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Not sure replaced a part or had the line unhooked for some reason..but is the slave cylinder new?

If you replace the clutch master cylinder...its best to replace the slave cylinder with a new unit also.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by remarque View Post
    I found two junkyards that have one near me, I also ordered one from autozone just in case either one of the others is bad.
    Don't buy any of autozone, advanced auto parts or ebay master or slave cylinders. I got brand new master cyl. off ebay and advanced auto parts and both of them didnt work. Go for the dealer parts, but these twice as much as the parts stores
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Adding to what mko posted...I agree. When my slave cylinder went out on my GVR4 I got a slave from Advanced auto parts and it failed within a month. I knew better..but I needed something to fix the car ASAP.

If you can't afford the dealer price...I would suggest to get aftermarket parts from NAPA. I have bought many parts from NAPA and haven't had a issue with any of them. In some cases..they carry aftermarket manufacturers that produce some of the OEM parts. Matter of fact, I just bought a Clutch master and slave from Napa for $55...though I got a little discount since they guys there know me.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

TGC Regular
    I'm taking the one from auto back anyway cause the one I got from the pull a parts is working. Just need to bleed the system right this time, but the old master was bad cause it gave no resistance at all.

Now I got fix my exhaust, the muffler shop did a good job form the cat on back, but how could you reuse my old downpipe and not notice a huge fucking hole in it and not tell me. The hole was so big I was able to tear the part before the flexpipe off with my bear hands. I'm going to teach my self to weld cause that was just wrong.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    go to napa and get a beckarnley 072-9833. that is the part number for the clutch master.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

TGC Regular
    Just bled the system again and i still cant release the clutch. I checked the clutch fork, i'm able to push in toward the slave but not away from it. I followed the instruction for bleeding exactly. it says push the clutch pedal down, then open the bleeder valve until the fluid stops coming out, but the fluid doesnt come out. It comes out when press the pedal down again.

Could it be my clutch fork is in the wrong position.

how did u bleed it? its usually a 2 person job unless u have a 1 man bleeder kit or speed bleeders

TGC Regular
    I pushed the pedal down with a stick and held it there with the driver seat. Then I opened the bleeder valve, but the fluid doesnt flow unless I push the pedal down again. Once I see a steady stream of fluid I close the valve. but the pedal is still mushy.

thats because u have to pump the pedal, then hold it down, open the bleeder, lock it, then repeat until all the air bubbles are gone

also did u adjust the master?

Quote Originally Posted by remarque View Post
    Just bled the system again and i still cant release the clutch. I checked the clutch fork, i'm able to push in toward the slave but not away from it. I followed the instruction for bleeding exactly. it says push the clutch pedal down, then open the bleeder valve until the fluid stops coming out, but the fluid doesnt come out. It comes out when press the pedal down again.

Could it be my clutch fork is in the wrong position.
    have you bled brakes before?

its the same principal

pump the clutch pedal many times by pressin all the way down and releasing it all the way up. When you feel that its starting to get stiffer, hold the pedal down, and tell someone to open the bleedin screw on the slave cylinder. Do that 3-4 times and you should be good, and make sure you keep an ey on the tank with the fluid, if you let it get empty youll need to start all over.
    Are you using a brake bleeder?

or get a clear glass or jar and put some brake fluid in it. Then use like 5-8 inch clear tubing that fits on the bleeding screw and dip the other end in the glass. Do the procedure and watch the fluid in the glass, if you see bubbles coming out of the tube then you need to bleed more
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast