The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Clicking under the hood, any advice? :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 45 of 45
    so i did this today. it was the coolest work i've done on the galant yet, water pump replacement doesn't even come close.

i found one adjuster to be completely stuck (took like 6-7 baths in diesel fuel before it started moving), and one to be reaaaally tight (4 baths before free movement). the completely stuck one was the exhaust valve lash adjuster, farthest from the timing belt, and i think the tight one was somewhere on the intake side.

but now, after complete cleaning - no tapping no more!!! thank heaven, i thought i would die hearing this tapping sound.

also, i didn't have any helpers, so i just plugged the holes in the head with shop towels, as someone recommended, and when assembling it back - i just put plumber's tape (the white one that is very thin) around the lash adjusters and tied a simple overhand knot on top of each rocker arm. after screwing in the bolts about halfway, it was very easy to untie and remove the tape pieces.

p.s. if you forget the paper towel pieces tucked into the oil drain holes and drive for a few miles, don't panic. the paper towels will act as additional filters and at the same time won't harm your catalytic converter.

Galant Evolution, did you replace your head cover gasket? when i got back in there, the new gasket seemed to be leaking oil all around the cover, like almost 360 degrees. did i undertorque the six cover bolts? PDF manual says that the torque is 30 inch-lbs, which is a super tiny amount of torque.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHunter View Post
    it's a 4 cylinder, I'm using regular unleaded.

And someone else told me it's my lifters too. How would I fix that problem?
    I thought I had problems with my lifters too, turned out that I needed a timing belt. Had it changed and now the car is whisper quiet.
    Sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

i had that problem too...i got my timing belt changed and the sound went away for about 3 days then came back...any ideas?

wow, i know its an old thread but after 2 weeks of research on all of these topics. this is going to be a fun weekend, i have had my tick for about 3 months now with 98k on her. i will take photos of everything and maybe a vid or two if i find the extra help. wish i had more car people freinds but oh well. thanks guys for the time and knowledge.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123