The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Clicking under the hood, any advice? :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 45
    do what has been stated, and if it's still there, welcome to the pleasures of owning a Mitsubishi motor.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by xcore View Post
    How about K&N ?
    They are very similar to the Champion labs filters (Mobil 1) but there are filters just as good to be had at a cheaper price.

Again, I have found that Wix is one of the better aftermarket filters out there, it isn't the absolute best, but if your oil change intervals are at a sane rate they will do you just fine. The Napa gold and silver filters are also wix if anyone didn't know.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

to those who used the rislone stuff, how long did it take for the ticking noise to go away?

xcore, I've used K&N oil filter HP-1004 with Mobil 1 5W -30 oil since vehicle was new. To the best of my knowledge have not a problem. As 6G72gearhead stated, K&N and Mobil 1 filters are both manufactured by the same company, Champion Labs. Click link for further information about oil filters http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil.../opinions.html
    Last edited by GSpeed; 08-07-2009 at 07:01 AM

Since we are on the subject of oil filters. Whats you opinion on BECK-ARNLEY?

does anyone know the mitsubishi part number for the lash adjusters?

are they the same as "valve lifters"?

Or the more permanent solution would be to change the lifters. Its not hard at all. Took me all of 45 mins.

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Whatever oil you use, just use Mitsubishi OE oil filters. I had used Mobil One in my 01 I4 ES and the lifter tick was almost non-existent afterwards. Then in my GTZ I used AMSoil filters and 5W30 oil.
    i use amsoil filter and oil in my car as well

Quote Originally Posted by galantofva View Post
    Or the more permanent solution would be to change the lifters. Its not hard at all. Took me all of 45 mins.
    is there a way to, say, take the valve cover off, look in there and determine how many lifters you need? because they are like $16 each (OEM), if i could avoid buying all 16, that would be grrrreat.

Before you start flaming me...

Would you guys all recommend to change the valve adjusters when you start hearing it? or would it be fine to just leave it alone? cause I know I heard it when i first bought my 8G 3 years ago... and left it alone....

then again... maybe it might be causing some damages to my engine.... hmmmm need to get new one i think

ok now im ready to be flamed....

my lifters tick to, just not to bad. I left them alone and it runs fine. when I go turbo there coming out and getting new ones put back iin.

Quote Originally Posted by varroa View Post
    is there a way to, say, take the valve cover off, look in there and determine how many lifters you need? because they are like $16 each (OEM), if i could avoid buying all 16, that would be grrrreat.
    bump for the question.

also, does anybody know the mitsubishi part number for the "lash adjusters"? are they the same thing as "lifters"?

redline DOHC, is that your first time going to afghanistan? which branch are you?
    Last edited by varroa; 11-05-2009 at 01:28 PM

bump for the question.

also, does anybody know the mitsubishi part number for the "lash adjusters"? are they the same thing as "lifters"?

redline DOHC, is that your first time going to afghanistan? which branch are you?
    Lash ajuster is the correct term for what we have in our engines. When people say lifters they are refering to the lash ajusters. I can get the part number tomorrow, parts is closed right now

do you, by any chance, know how to determine which lash adjusters are bad without taking the whole head apart? can it be done after removing just the valve cover?

after you remove the valve cover, (make sure the engine has compleatly cooled off) you can remove the rocker arm shafts held in by bolts..when you remove them be careful because the springs push up on the shaft a little. when the bolts are removed be very careful you must remove all of the rocker arms at the same time, i flipped the rocker arms over with my fingers holding the lash ajusters from falling out. i used two people when i cleaned mine, and also plugged up the ports in the engine with paper towels so that if they did fall out wouldnt go into the engine! Once there out clean and look for exessive wear. Make sure you keep track of the intake and exhaust lash ajusters and rocker arms and do not mix them.
    Last edited by Galant Evolution; 11-09-2009 at 01:45 PM

hey thanks for the explanation. i was afraid that i have to remove the camshaft and the whole head pretty much to just check the lifters.

by the way, how do you clean a lash adjuster? and how do you check for excessive wear?

create three pans all filled with enough desil fuel to completely submerge the lash adjuster standing upright. The first pan should ONLY be for outside cleaning. Use a thin nylon brush to scrub the outside of the lash adjuster while in the desil fuel. Once the outside cleaning is done, more to the second pan ONLY for inside cleaning. If you dont have the mitsu part to clean the inside a paperclip works for this exercise although be extremely careful not to break the small spring inside the lifter. While the lifter is submerged in the desil fuel, stand the lifter upright so that the part with the hole is facing upwards. While submerged insert the paper clip slowly and not pushing to hard and move the plunger down and upwards (you will feel it) you should see alot of junk come out, repeat this until no more bad oil is seen coming out. Next take out the lifter, now with the hole pointing down towards your feel slowly move the plunger with the paperclip inserted up and down again the same way you did when the lifter was in the desil fuel. This will release the rest of the dirty desil fuel inside the lifter and clean out the air chamber. Now the third pan use ONLY to fill the lifter with fresh desil fuel. Submerge the lifter into the desil fuel. Position the lifter so the hole is aimed upright, slowly making sure you have nice even stroked, push the plunger down to fill it with desil fuel, do this three times to ensure its completely filled. Then after the lifter has been filled test it by trying to hand push the lifter down with your fingers, if it moves, discard the lifter and replace it, if it is sturdy and holds pressure the lifter should be ok. The FSM recommends to fill it with desil fuel and then immediately insert back into the rocker arms, however you can use oil too. If the ticking is still there after a day replace all the lifters. Hope this helped!

daaamn. thanks for the instructions. sounds like something i could do.

daaamn. thanks for the instructions. sounds like something i could do.
    Np, its really not hard at all!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast