The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: door latch

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    TGC Regular

door latch

So this moring i went out to warm my car up to go to work. The driver side would not unlock with the key becasue it was 15 degrees out. So i went over to the passenger side and unlocked it. Then the driver side still wouldnt unlock. So i forced the lock over untill it unlocked and then i opened the door. It was a pain in the ass. Now the problem is my door will not latch shut. it looks like its lined up so that the latch will work but then it just bounches off. I am going to put a hiar dryer to it today after work to see if it works. any sugesstions?

TGC Regular
    Its almost like when i pulled the handle, the latching mechanism got stuck as if the door handle was constanly puled. I hope maybe a lil wd-40 will work.....

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Try getting a lock de-icer at your local auto parts store.. If that doesn't work than use WD-40..

TGC Regular
    they have somthing like that??? wow i feel stupid lol yea i deff will try that thanks man

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    mine does the same thing haha.. mine usually takes a minute then its fine.. i force it open and closed a couple times and the latch my stay open cuz when u opened the driver side door it was still partially locked and it caught the latch
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

TGC Regular
    well lets just hope that i didnt break anything forcing it open this morning lol god work cant go any slower!

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Usually when you force things in the cold, they break. Specially plastic.

also the rubber molding on top of the door sometimes freezes to the car when its cold
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

my battery froze today lol, so did the hood when i tried to open it to boost my car.

This weather is ridiculous!!!

- If you've got nothing nice to say, what the hell is wrong with you!?!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Ok...rebirth of a old post.

I replaced my rear passenger side latch a month ago and suddenly my driver side rear was doing the same thing. I was at Mitsu ordering some parts and talked to my friend there and mentioned my issue with the door not staying closed and I have to "push" the lock the door.

Well..it seems there is a simple a fix. He told me to spray some white lithium grease to the latch and let it sit for a few minutes. Well...it works! Apparently after time the grease applied during production slowly goes away and eventually no lubrication causing the latch not to hook.

Just thought for those having the same problem...maybe this is the simple fix.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

My passenger side i cant unlock i think it is something in the door

I have a similiar problem. My rear driver side door won't lock. The latch mechanism won't stay in position to lock. I've opened it and tried to see if I could fix it myself but no luck. Kinda hard to remove and will have to spend around 70 bucks for another one. I'm gonna try white lithium grease first.

Back again... finally purchased a door latch assembly and still have the same problem. Before I pulled it out the car at the junker, I tested it many times and it would stay closed, but not locked. i thought it would be something I can fix while replacing. So after replacing, it still does not close nor lock! I kinda of know how it works, but I need a lot of help. Has anyone taken it apart and figured it out???

Fixed it! And figured out how the whole assembly works.