The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: hid fogs issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

hid fogs issue

I have hid 10,000K in head lights and installed 10,000K in my fogs..the fogs worked when i first installed them then the nex day im driving behind my friend and he tells me my right fog is out. Turns out it was a bad ballast not bulb. I sent bak to seller on ebay got a new one back, installed it and both fogs turned on for a less than a second and blew my fuse so i decided to jus leave the hid fogs and not turn em on since they didnt work. sooo im stuck without fogs can anyone tell me what the problem is? I have a sound system as well ...is it too much electrical for a galant to handle??

Dont really care if this topic is already in another thread..dont have to time to continue searching for it..
    thanks

both hid kits are 35 watts btw

I'm going to tell you now,
    that the factory foglight harness wiring is very very thin. i think its 18 gauge.
    Your ballasts aren't going to fire reliably without an aftermarket relay harness.

But at 10,000k you are probably putting out as much light now, as you would if you actually turned them on.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

lmao yea i was thinkin about gettin 6000k or 8000k..i really regret gettin 10 i was jus thinkin about color not actual light. so i have to get an aftermarket relay harness for fog lights?

Quote Originally Posted by galantgtz36 View Post
    . so i have to get an aftermarket relay harness for fog lights?
    thats what i'd do.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member
    uuugggh! Dont say that shit now guys! Ive got my 6k heads and 3k fogs coming in tomorrow!!! NoOoOOOOooooo! Say it aint so! Do i really need that aftermarket relay harness!!!????!!! :smt013:smt013:smt013:smt013

Seriously get a pair of harnesses.
    My sister has 6k and 3k heads/ fogs respectively

Her heads would almost always fire( 7 out of 10)
    and her fogs would miss every other time. and good luck getting them to re-ignite if you turn them off and right back on, like if you flashed your lights or your brights.

So i got her a pair of relay harnesses.
    You can flick the lights on/off every second and they still fire.... although i would HIGHLY reccomend against it.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i'd rather just flat out buy/make the harness than fry the wiring down the road, repair that, and then install a harness. harnesses are like 30 bucks on ebay.

you can save time if you make your own harness. i spent like 30 bucks to make two but yea, mine's a lil overkill.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    i'd rather just flat out buy/make the harness than fry the wiring down the road, repair that, and then install a harness. harnesses are like 30 bucks on ebay.

you can save time if you make your own harness. i spent like 30 bucks to make two but yea, mine's a lil overkill.
    Ha yeah. Didn't think to make a harness. I made my Fuel pump rewire harness.
    I should have done it for my car.
    I've got a pretty stout setup wire wise.
    When I cut into one of the wires that appeared to be 12 gauge, it was just a thick insulating jacket,
    Wire gauge was probably more like 16 or 14 at absolute best.

My harnesses were i think 20 shipped on ebay. honestly they work flawlessly and are of resonable quality. Definatly look cleaner than anything I would make.
    But If I made my own.... man I could run the Juice to those ballasts. Haha, probably for under 10 bucks.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Mine are wired with 4 gauge..

No but seriously, I used 10 gauge for my fogs and I don't even have HIDs

it's better to use seperate (not OE) harnesses w/ HID... i have 3 relays and 3 harnesses (lo, hi, fog); the stock wiring only triggers the relays. reliable and safe. not mandatory, but better than using the stock wiring to power the ballasts, especially because of the extreme ignitor draw.

Does anyone have a circuit diagram etc on making up a harness. I am putting 6000k hi and low in during the holidays and would rather do it right at the start.

Experienced TGC Member
    Yeh can someone post a link to the proper harness required? Or how about a tutorial on how to make them?

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    Yeh can someone post a link to the proper harness required? Or how about a tutorial on how to make them?
    This one is for the H4 bulb. If you're using JDM's, or a different bulb size,just search on ebay.I fried the ground on my stock headlight wiring with a 35W kit, so I highly recommend an external relay harness. And as DOHCstunr stated, the fog wiring is really fragile, so if you run HID fogs, it's a requirement.
    Ebay Harness
    Last edited by Fishboy55; 12-23-2008 at 07:58 AM
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Experienced TGC Member
    Ok so i just got my HIDs. And my oh my do they look difficult to install. LoL. Im sure ill figure it all out. But first i need to order those harnesses.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quick question though, do i need to purchase two of the harnesses or just 1? Heres the page im looking at...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-f...hippingPayment

Quick question though, do i need to purchase two of the harnesses or just 1? Heres the page im looking at...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-f...hippingPayment
    You'll need one for the H4 headlight bulbs and one for whatever size the fogs are. Each harness supports a pair of bulbs and ballasts. But i'm concerned that he has one harness that supports so many bulb types. Each set of connectors is different between the bulbs I thought? Reelax??
    Chip

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Experienced TGC Member
    Yeh so ive been browsing around. And i think ima attempt to make my own wiring harness. I figure i can get a good deal on all the parts required so ima just give it a try. Doesnt look complicated at all.

Yeh so ive been browsing around. And i think ima attempt to make my own wiring harness. I figure i can get a good deal on all the parts required so ima just give it a try. Doesnt look complicated at all.
    Talk to Allan (pinoyesv6). He makes them for about $10 and they're pretty awesome.
    Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55 View Post
    You'll need one for the H4 headlight bulbs and one for whatever size the fogs are. Each harness supports a pair of bulbs and ballasts. But i'm concerned that he has one harness that supports so many bulb types. Each set of connectors is different between the bulbs I thought? Reelax??
    if the harness is going to run HID, then you could just splice the harness directly to the ballast input wiring; the connectors would be irrelevant (and could be cut off entirely). but if for some reason you would like to keep them intact so that you could revert back to normal lighting, just make sure you match the application between the harness and the end bulb (capsule) size... H4=H4, H7=H7, H1=H1 etc.

to get the right harness (harnesses), we need to know exactly what HID kit you are installing; H4 low only, H4 hi/lo (halogen hi beam bulb), H4 bixenon, H4 to H7/H1 (JDM conversion).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast